Chula Vista To Hold Meeting About Serial Groper
Thursday, February 17, 2011
A community meeting is scheduled this evening to discuss safety issues brought about by a serial groper in Chula Vista.
The gathering is scheduled for 6 p.m. at Chula Vista High School, in the Performing Arts Center.
There have been 16 incidents on or near Broadway in which women were groped since September, according to the Chula Vista Police Department, which is hosting the meeting.
In all the cases, the victims were walking on public streets when a man grabbed them over their clothing.
The groper has been variously described as Hispanic or African-American with light skin, mostly wearing a hooded sweatshirt.
The CVPD suggests that women take the following precautions:
- be aware of your surroundings and avoid distractions from electronic devices like cell phones or music players;
- walk confidently and at a steady pace;
- walk to a well-lit, well-populated area if you think you're being followed;
- be careful when people stop you for directions, money or solicitations, and always reply from a distance;
- don't be afraid to yell, scream or run to safety if you think you're in danger; and
- be a good witness with clear descriptions of a suspect and what took place.