New Calif. Jobs Report Brings Welcome News

Aired 4/20/12 on KPBS News.

What looked like a setback in California’s economic recovery might have only been a temporary lull.

Not only did California add 18,000 jobs in March. What's more, February's original 4,000 job gain was revised all the way up to nearly 40,000. That's welcome news after a lousy January, when the state only picked up 1,500 new jobs.

The unemployment rate actually grew a tenth of a point last month… to an even 11 percent. But that's likely due to previously-discouraged workers re-entering the workforce.

About a quarter of California counties have single-digit jobless rates - led by Marin at seven percent and San Mateo at seven-and-a-half. Orange and San Francisco counties are also doing well, at a shade over eight percent. Colusa and Imperial have the worst unemployment rates - at more than 26 percent.

Comments

Len | April 22, 2012 at 1:28 p.m. ― 2 years, 5 months ago

Just like that, "click your mouse to send" and ""No more illegal aliens in payroll jobs!" Then click your heels, clap your hands, and you can fly. "Estimated 7 million non-agricultural jobs are held by illegal aliens." Estimated by what disinterested person or org without an ax to grind? (Rhetorical.) The matter is enormously too complex to be resolved by any simple "solution."
Do you post the same comment to all pieces, regardless of pertinence?

bignevermo | April 25, 2012 at 7:22 a.m. ― 2 years, 4 months ago

Len...this guy Bob DOES post the same crap all the time...waist of bandwidth if you ask me...i am trying to disciver the veracity of his assertions...cant find anything other than that link to his website...7 million sounds like a lot to me!

Studying_Nomad | April 25, 2012 at 11:01 a.m. ― 2 years, 4 months ago

I think these unemployed kids are clamoring to work those agricultural jobs. Bending all day, less than minimum wage, repetitive actions and snakes. That's living the dream.

JeanMarc | April 25, 2012 at 11:32 a.m. ― 2 years, 4 months ago

I believe the real issue is people feeling entitled to higher wages than they can find someone to pay them.

Studying_Nomad | April 25, 2012 at 11:34 a.m. ― 2 years, 4 months ago

Haha you say that after saying that abortion is murder. We live in a Capitalist society and that's that.

Tammy Carpowich, KPBS Staff | April 25, 2012 at 11:39 a.m. ― 2 years, 4 months ago

@BobRooney2, We love to hear all opinions, but we have set a few guidelines to keep the conversations civil and productive. One is that we don't allow "political campaigning, recruiting votes, or soliciting support for legislative or other initiatives." Your most recent posts encourage people to go to a website and contact elected representatives, which falls into that category. Please, in the future focus on conversation rather than activism. Thanks and I look forward to a lively (and civil!) discussion!

benz72 | April 25, 2012 at 12:11 p.m. ― 2 years, 4 months ago

If kids don't want to bend all day for minimum wage then I hope they are studying hard in the free schooling we are providing for them, and making good use of the libraries we also provide for them. I hope they develop a plan to succeed in an increasingly globally competitive market instead of just hoping they will find something can do…. because one thing everybody can do is bend all day for minimum wage.

We do live in a (mostly) capitalist society, and that is good. I would much rather reward those who produce the most than those who complain the loudest.

JeanMarc | April 25, 2012 at 12:31 p.m. ― 2 years, 4 months ago

Excuse me, Studying_Nomad? Where did I say that abortion is murder? Perhaps you mis-read my comment. I simply asked a question. I am not sure why you are talking about that in the comments section for a different article though.

And what I said still stands. I personally have heard several people who "just can't find work" when they really CAN find work, but the jobs they are being offered don't pay them what they think they deserve. I guess they don't understand that they are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them.

Studying_Nomad | April 25, 2012 at 1:15 p.m. ― 2 years, 4 months ago

My bad, I must have misread your statement. The question of wages, abortion and quality of life, exist all in the same realm from my perspective. I’m not denying that there are many of spoiled brats in this country. However, the idea that we could convince an educated populace that they should work hard manual labor for LESS than or minimum wage is ludicrous. Capitalism has expanded freedom to individuals for something like 500 years. Part of that freedom is having money to decide how you want to live. Kids cost a lot of money. In an agrarian society, they have value, not in a consumer driven service economy. People who want kids, should probably be focused on finding a career that can support a family and a decent quality of life. Poor people get exploited – hence the illegals we drive by on I-5.

Public education is not free. It is paid for with property taxes; something that citizens are looking to earn enough to pay.

benz72 | April 25, 2012 at 1:56 p.m. ― 2 years, 4 months ago

Public education is provided with no direct cost to the consumer. You are correct that it is not free in the sense that it is certainly paid for by our taxes. Thank you for the correction.

benz72 | April 25, 2012 at 1:58 p.m. ― 2 years, 4 months ago

Part of the freedom that individuals also gain is the freedom to fail. Responsibility goes hand in hand with opportunity.

benz72 | April 26, 2012 at 7:06 a.m. ― 2 years, 4 months ago

Profiling is an imperfect, but useful first pass filter for searching for a small signal in a noisy environment.
e.g. If the police spent the same amount of attention on women and wheelchair bound men while searching for a rapist we'd all be pretty angry they were wasting so much time. They should be using their time intelligently. We wouldn't be complaining about gender or handicap profiling in that example (I hope).

benz72 | April 26, 2012 at 11:33 a.m. ― 2 years, 4 months ago

Posted the wrong thread. Sorry.