San Diegans Can Test Their Luck On Friday The 13th
Thursday, July 12, 2012
This Friday marks the final Friday the 13th of 2012. San Diegans looking to test their luck on this superstitious day can find plenty of things to do.
- The Whaley House in Old Town was named the number one most haunted house in the United States by the Travel Channel’s America’s Most Haunted. No one can confirm that the house is truly haunted, but the mass amount of reports and documentation makes a compelling case. If you’re brave enough to enter on Friday the 13th, purchase tickets for the Past and Present Ghost Tour.
- Hotel del Coronado’s room 3327 is reportedly haunted. The death of Kate Morgan in 1892 is believed to be linked to the flickering lights, television sets that turn themselves on and off, sounds of footsteps, unexplained voices, and other reported events. Not brave enough to spend a night in room 3327? Learn more about Kate Morgan and the Hotel del Coronado’s history during a 90 minute walking tour.
- Test Newton’s Law of Gravity at La Jolla Gravity Hill. Legend has it that if you drive to West Muirlands (between Fay and Nautilus St.), line up your right rear tire with the telephone pole on the side of the street with the fairway, and put your car is in neutral, it will actually roll uphill. Be careful to keep your foot hovering over the break in case the Law of Gravity proves to be true.
- Interested in ink? Some tattoo shops are still honoring the tradition of $13 tattoos on Friday the 13th. Hopefully your tattoo artist relies on skill and not luck and you’ll walk out with a perfectly executed work of art. Sailors Grave Tattoo Gallery is one of the few shops still offering this special in San Diego so get there early.
- If you want to see a bit of everything, Haunted San Diego Tours takes buses full of people to the most haunted places in San Diego. The two-hour tour is a bus tour, but you will get to walk part some of the way and enter locations such as San Diego’s oldest graveyard. Be warned: the disturbing stories prohibit children under 10 from attending.
To view PDF documents, Download Acrobat Reader.
Please stay on topic and be as concise as possible. Leaving a comment means you agree to our Community Discussion Rules. We like civilized discourse. We don't like spam, lying, profanity, harassment or personal attacks.