skip to main content

Listen

Read

Watch

Schedules

Programs

Events

Give

Account

Donation Heart Ribbon

Judge Won’t Stop $1.2 Billion San Diego Project

A $1.2 billion Navy redevelopment project on San Diego's waterfront has survived a court challenge that argued it didn't properly address the issue of terrorism.

Judge Won't Stop $1.2 Billion San Diego Project

U-T San Diego says a federal judge ruled Wednesday against a group that argued the current environmental assessment didn't properly consider possible terrorist threats.

Ian Trowbridge of the Navy Broadway Complex Coalition says he expects the group to appeal the ruling.

The Navy Broadway Complex is a joint venture between the Navy and U-T publisher and developer Douglas Manchester. Manchester agreed to build the Navy a new headquarters for free in return for the rights to build eight blocks of office, hotel, shopping and museum space.

The project still faces objections from the California Coastal Commission, which revoked its approval last year.

Comments

Avatar for user 'Peking_Duck_SD'

Peking_Duck_SD | October 18, 2012 at 1:21 p.m. ― 2 years ago

This is PRECISELY the type of issue that raises eyebrows about Manchester's buying the local newspapers.

There is a clear opening for bias and intimidation here.

Consider this:

Manchester has already proven he has no problem using his media acquisitions to smear people who don't support his agenda and to blatantly champion his development plans.

Perhaps this judge feared he would find his name in Manchester's propaganda rag with some heavy unflattering editorializing, so he decided just to avoid the whole potential and side with Manchester in court.

This is a very dangerous situation we are in with Manchester, and people should be concerned about the type of bullying and power he is trying to amass over our city.

( | suggest removal )