‘Bolder Than Most Rapist’ To Learn Fate At San Diego Hearing
Thursday, December 19, 2013
A probable cause hearing was scheduled in San Diego Thursday to determine whether a convicted serial rapist should be deemed a sexually violent predator, paving the way for him to remain involuntarily committed to a state mental hospital rather than be released on the public after serving only half of a 50-year prison sentence.
Alvin Ray Quarles, now 51, pleaded guilty in 1989 to being the "Bolder Than Most Rapist'' in exchange for a 50-year prison sentence. The moniker stemmed from the way he attacked his victims at knifepoint, sometimes forcing the women's husbands or boyfriends to watch, and in some instances, forcing the men to have sex with the women while he watched. All of his crimes occurred in the San Diego area.
A then-26-year-old Quarles was charged with 61 counts, which would have led to a more than 200-year prison sentence had he been convicted. Instead, he pleaded guilty to four counts of rape, six counts of burglary and two counts of robbery in exchange for 50 years.
Last month, two of his victims came forward after learning that Quarles would be eligible for release on Nov. 16 under a law in place at the time of his guilty plea that gave him credit for "good time'' served.
Cynthia Medina and Mary Taylor said they were told by prosecutors at the time that Quarles would serve 50 years behind bars and wouldn't be released until he was 77.
In response to the women's concerns, the District Attorney's Office filed a petition seeking a civil involuntary commitment of Quarles, postponing his potential release date last month.
If a judge determines at Thursday's probable cause hearing that Quarles is a sexually violent predator, a jury trial could follow.
Please stay on topic and be as concise as possible. Leaving a comment means you agree to our Community Discussion Rules. We like civilized discourse. We don't like spam, lying, profanity, harassment or personal attacks.