A Conversation With San Diego Mayoral Candidate Nathan Fletcher

Evening Edition

Aired 10/7/13 on KPBS Midday Edition.

Guest

Nathan Fletcher, Former State Assemblyman

Transcript

The special election on Nov. 19 is set to choose a successor to serve out the term of former Mayor Bob Filner. There are 10 candidates who have qualified for the ballot.

Special Feature Special Election

A recent 10News/Survey USA poll clarified the top four candidates (in alphabetical order), Mike Aguirre, David Alvarez, Kevin Faulconer, and Nathan Fletcher, who emerged as the front runner.

Nathan Fletcher ran unsuccessfully for San Diego Mayor last year. He lost in the primary. Before, Fletcher represented San Diego's 75th state assembly district for two terms.

Fletcher has been endorsed by several prominent Democratic elected officials, including Congressman Scott Peters. He has also been endorsed by San Diego city firefighters and city workers.

Comments

DonWood | October 7, 2013 at 6:45 p.m. ― 1 year ago

Nathan Fletcher has trumpeted the fact that he is now a Democrat. If he's really serious, and not just an opportunistic empty suit feeding his own ego. he should withdraw from the race and endorse the candidate who has been endorsed by the countywide Democratic Party, David Alvarez. Let him take this action to show that his conversion from republican to independent to democrat is genuine. If he's truly a
democrat he will not keep competing with the Democratic party's endorsed candidate. thereby supporting the republican candidate by splitting the democratic vote in the primary election. If Fletcher actually took an action to support the democratic party and threw his support to Alvarez, Alvarez would win in the primary election. If Fletcher is only in it for his own ego, he'll continue to contest the democratic primary and make it tougher for Alvarez to win the election.

simonthegreat | October 7, 2013 at 11:01 p.m. ― 1 year ago

I hope KPBS will give other candidates the same opportunity to represent their views. How the hack Fletcher gets air time and other candidates get the silence treatment? We I can't see what he got beside pretty face (how many sides up to reader to wonder) or what he promised to get the endorsements, but did he promise to bank the phones for next week pledge drive?

$10 he wont show.

LaMesa_dude | October 8, 2013 at 5:57 a.m. ― 1 year ago

I have to confess I haven't paying much attention to the guy -- but it really smacks of opportunism. How can someone, (in such a short time-span) go from Republican, to Independent, to Democrat? Not the best analogy -- but kinda reminds me of Mitt Romney, a hyper-ambitious fella aptly named a "well-oiled weathervane." (Go David Alvarez!).

dialyn | October 8, 2013 at 7:13 a.m. ― 1 year ago

I just don't trust Fletcher, and it is hard for me to believe that, because he owes such a huge debt to Jacobs and Qualcomm, he wouldn't favor them when making decisions (aka deals). I know Jacobs is a great benefactor to San Diego, and more power to him, but he will inevitably use his money to influence whoever is mayor or is on the council. Of course I'd rather have a mayor indebted to a local donor rather than outside ones (like the Koch brothers) but I'd really prefer someone who has fewer ties (which eliminates anyone but millionaires from being able to run; I know). Having a mayor in his pocket would be a great advantage to Qualcomm, and Fletcher has shown with past behavior that he bends with the winds of opportunity. Yes, people can change but I am just not that confident he has.

dialyn | October 8, 2013 at 7:16 a.m. ― 1 year ago

I hope KPBS will provide links in one place to all the conversations with the candidates. The one with Mr. Alvarez is here: http://www.kpbs.org/news/2013/oct/03/... .

Peking_Duck_SD | October 8, 2013 at 10:03 a.m. ― 1 year ago

Fletcher seems like a nice enough guy, but he is not what San Diego needs.

San Diego needs someone who will stand-up to the special interests that have run this city for decades, and someone who will stand-up to the good-ol boys millionaire network of the liks of Mr. Manchester.

Fletcher seems more like a "go with the flow" kind of guy.

We need a Filner minus the sexual addiction.

I want Aguirre, he is the only one I am confident can stand up to the old cranks who have been ruining our city for years. Filner started to hand it to these cranky old coots and change the city for the BETTER before his sexual compulsion ruined everything.

Aguirre seems to me to be the only alternative who has the cajones to stand up to these parasites.

Peking_Duck_SD | October 8, 2013 at 10:06 a.m. ― 1 year ago

Another person whom I think would make a great mayor is Toni Atkins, but I believe she said she's not running :(

sdreefer21 | October 9, 2013 at 10:25 p.m. ― 1 year ago

Sideshow mike would be another recall in the making. But he would shake a few branches of the money tree which would be good for a change. I think Fletcher has the cojones, but he smells of another gamer. Him and faulcner aren't that different less the party.