Vietnam Veterans Not Fonda UCLA’s Choice For Graduation Speaker

Flickr

Jane Fonda

A group of California-based Vietnam veterans is protesting UCLA's selection of actress Jane Fonda as the graduation speaker for the university's School of Theater, Film and Television.

The group's "Vets Boycotting Hanoi Jane Fonda" Facebook page has garnered more than 42,000 likes. According to National Review Online, was created by Nick Callas, president of the Santa Clarita chapter of Vietnam Veterans of America.

The protesting vets say they cannot forgive Fonda for her anti-Vietnam War activities in 1972 that included traveling to Hanoi, where she was photographed laughing and clapping with North Vietnamese troops.

John Crooker of the California State Council of Vietnam Veterans of America explained to Fox News:

"She was young and stupid, but that's no excuse. I don't know of any Vietnam veterans who have anything good to say about her."

According to Snopes.com, Fonda has apologized for her behavior in North Vietnam numerous times, saying in 2000:

"I will go to my grave regretting the photograph of me in an anti-aircraft carrier, which looks like I was trying to shoot at American planes. It hurt so many soldiers. It galvanized such hostility. It was the most horrible thing I could possibly have done. It was just thoughtless."

And in 2005:

"It was like I was thumbing my nose at the military. And at the country that gave me privilege. It was the largest lapse of judgment that I can even imagine. I don't thumb my nose at this country. I care deeply about American soldiers."

Fonda is scheduled to give her commencement speech on June 13.

What do you think of UCLA's choice of Jane Fonda as commencement speaker? Have your say in our comments section!

Comments

Missionaccomplished | June 5, 2014 at 1:11 p.m. ― 2 months, 4 weeks ago

Give it a rest, move on, get a life, cow chip on your shoulder much???

Peking_Duck_SD | June 5, 2014 at 2:38 p.m. ― 2 months, 4 weeks ago

Whatever your views of Ms. Fonda personally or the tactics she used, history has proven her RIGHT.

The Vietnam War, like the Iraq War, was completely unnecessary and a criminally malicious slaughter of human lives by the U.S. Government who sent troops to die for no reason.

We lost, and the "domino effect" of Communism that the corrupt politicians used to sell that war never happened.

Instead of taking their frustrations out on Jane Fonda who has been a lighting rod for decades, maybe they should take their anger out on the U.S. administrations that started and perpetuated this horrific conflict.

loriebob | June 5, 2014 at 4:38 p.m. ― 2 months, 4 weeks ago

I was in Danang Airbase and in the air in 1972 flying off the USS Hancock in combat. I will never forgive her for what she did. What would we think of someone nowadays that went to Afghanistan and posed with the Taliban in gun emplacements meant to kill American soldiers and airmen???? Her 1972 actions were treasonous and the only reason she was not prosecuted was the overwhelming negative attitude of the American public over the war in Vietnam. However, that public attitude had nothing to do with aiding and abetting the enemy, which in my view she did happily and continuously with a clear conscience. She NEVER paid a price for her actions aside from asserting a few "I'm sorry" statements. Whatever one thinks about the validity of the Vietnam War (or any war), going to the other side, posing in gun emplacements, calling our pilots "War Criminals" and giving help to the other side is wrong, wrong wrong. And…..she got away with it.

RothAC | June 5, 2014 at 6:23 p.m. ― 2 months, 4 weeks ago

She seems to have had a real change of heart. Anyhow, why should U.S. war veterans emulate the bigoted actions of left-wing groups that have stopped so many public figures with contrasting views from speaking at their universities? I say, let UCLA hear what this old lady has to say!

SalULoyd | June 6, 2014 at 11:32 p.m. ― 2 months, 3 weeks ago

She has nothing to be sorry about. It was an illegal, immoral war.

Loriebob, I'd like to see you on the receiving end of Operation Rolling Thunder. Well, I'll never forgive LBJ for lying.

WDavid | June 9, 2014 at 7:31 p.m. ― 2 months, 3 weeks ago

I have never posted a comment on a message board ever. I don't even have that strong of an opinion regarding Jane Fonda speaking or not speaking at UCLA although I certainly disagree with what she did.

I am posting because of the comment of SalULoyd about Loriebob, which I found truly offensive. How could you attack someone who risked his life defending our country regardless of whether you agreed with Vietnam or not? What a horrible thing to do. You should have just ended it at "illegal, immoral war" and you would have communicated your point.

Loriebob, thank you for your service to our country.

lacklenj | June 13, 2014 at 7:16 p.m. ― 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Jane Fonda admitted her mistake on the anti-aircraft gun, took full responsibility for the error, and categorically apologized. Compare this to George Bush, Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, and Condi Rice who have yet to admit to their error for going to war over non-existent WMDs in Iraq, much less taken responsibility or apologized for it. Fonda's error killed no one and cost the American tax payer zero; the Bush administration error killed almost 5,000 American servicemen, maimed tens of thousands more, killed over 100,000 Iraqis and cost several trillion dollars, but the angry lynch mob is mad at Fonda? Further, suppose Jane Fonda had joked on national TV that she couldn't find any anti-aircraft shells under the Oval Office couch as President Bush joked he couldn't find any of those darned WMDs under the couch either. The Fox News crowd has its head screwed on backwards.

△ ▽