Tax Filing Deadline Less Than A Month Away
Monday, March 24, 2014
Aired 3/24/14 on KPBS Midday Edition.
Raphael Tulino, Spokesman, Internal Revenue Service
Daniel Tahara, Spokesman, California Franchise Tax Board
You used to have weeks and weeks before you had to think about filing your taxes.
But there are now only three weeks left before the deadline and while the Internal Revenue Service says it's received more than half of all tax returns it expects to get, the clock is still ticking down to April 15 for the rest of you.
We've invited two tax experts to tell us what changes to expect in this year's taxes and answer your tax questions.
Here are 5 things you need to know:
1. The largest IRS phone scam ever is underway and its targeting thousands of taxpayers. The IRS has some handy tips on how to protect yourself.
2. Tax rules change every year. One of the major changes for the 2013 tax filing period has to do with same-sex married couples. For the first time ever, they can file federal joint returns, even if they live in a state that doesn't recognize same-sex marriage.
3. The Affordable Care Act will have no effect on the vast majority of taxpayers filing their 2013 taxes.
4. Filing on your own might be the way to go. The IRS says more than 27 million taxpayers have filed their tax returns from home computers so far this year, an increase of almost 6 percent compared to last year.
5. If you want help filing your taxes but can't afford a tax preparer, the IRS offers free assistance if you earn less than $52,000 a year.
To view PDF documents, Download Acrobat Reader.
Please stay on topic and be as concise as possible. Leaving a comment means you agree to our Community Discussion Rules. We like civilized discourse. We don't like spam, lying, profanity, harassment or personal attacks.