San Diego Chamber Gives City Leaders Funny Awards At Legislative Lounge
“This event gives us a chance to recognize those elected officials and staff members who work so hard throughout the year, and we also get to have a little fun at their expense,” said Jerry Sanders, the chamber's CEO and San Diego's former mayor.
Sanders also emceed the event and gave out the following awards:
• “Can't We All Just Get Along?” — Councilman David Alvarez
• “Politician in Waiting” — Councilman-elect Chris Cate
• “Staffers That Get S%#& [Stuff] Done” — tie between Kelly Batten, chief of staff for Councilwoman Lorie Zapf, and Pam Ison, chief of policy for Councilwoman Myrtle Cole.
• “Never in a Million Years Award” — tie between County Supervisor Ron Roberts for the Waterfront Park by the County Administration Center and Chula Vista Mayor Cheryl Cox for the Chula Vista Bayfront Master Plan
• “Honorary Councilmember” — Norma Mouet, wife of Councilman Scott Sherman
In previous years, the chamber hosted "Fireside Chat" events with San Diego's mayor.