What's Next For One Paseo Project After Compromise Reached
After reaching a compromise with opponents last week, the developer behind One Paseo, a proposed Carmel Valley project, plans to meet with community groups to reshape a vision for the development.
The compromise between Kilroy Realty Corp. and One Paseo opponents, including a nearby shopping center, was announced just before the San Diego City Council met to either rescind its prior approval of the project or place the issue before voters.
Rachel Laing, a Kilroy spokeswoman, said the revised plans are still in the early stages. Once a new plan is approved by the City Council, the project could break ground in 18 months, Laing said.
Both sides agreed that buildings would be no higher than seven stories and traffic would also be less, she said.
“We did work out some binding parameters,” Laing said. “From here, we’ll have to work with communities. We’ll have an input process where we know we’re in a certain box.”
Ken Farinsky, spokesman for What Price Main Street, a community group that opposed the original 23.6-acre proposal, said he thinks a compromise is good news.
“I think there’s an opportunity here where the sides are willing to talk,” Farinsky told KPBS Midday Edition on Tuesday. “We’re willing to work on a smaller project that’s appropriate.”
Farinsky said opponents were mainly concerned about the traffic the original proposal would have generated and the height of certain buildings.
The City Council originally approved the development in March, with Councilwomen Sherri Lightner and Marti Emerald opposed. Its original plan was to develop 600 homes, and shops and offices. City leaders had to reconsider the development after residents were able to collect 60,000 opposing signatures that could have forced the issue to the ballot for voters to decide.