Skip to main content

Camp Pendleton Marine Shot In South L.A. Dies

Photo by Laurie Mitchell / Claudia Perez /10News

A 19-year-old Marine from Camp Pendleton who was gravely wounded in a shooting in South Los Angeles last week has died, authorities reported Tuesday.

Lance Cpl. Carlos Segovia-Lopez was found shortly after 11:30 p.m. Friday covered in blood and slumped over the steering wheel of a Dodge Charger in the 2100 block of 31st Street, according to Los Angeles police and witnesses. Family members said he had since been on life support at a Los Angeles hospital.

Hospital staffers notified the Los Angeles County Department of Medical Examiner-Coroner today of his death, an investigator for the office told City News Service.

Segovia-Lopez left the military base near San Diego on Friday and was visiting friends and family for the weekend in South Los Angeles, a family friend told the Los Angeles Times. He was struck by gunfire after leaving the home of his girlfriend.

Police notified the U.S. Marine Corps, which in turn notified Segovia's family about the shooting.

"He's a loving boy," his mother, Sandra Lopez, told NBC4 outside the hospital. "Really I don't understand this person who, who shot him. ... The only way that we can stop crime, is that we need to speak up."

Police said Segovia-Lopez had no gang connections, and it's unclear why he was shot. Anyone with information on the case was urged to call the LAPD.

Family and friends are expected to hold a vigil in his memory at 6:30 p.m. at the scene of the shooting.

Want more KPBS news?
Find us on Twitter and Facebook, or sign up for our newsletters.

To view PDF documents, Download Acrobat Reader.