San Diego’s New Arts Director Discusses Future Of Arts Funding
Monday, December 3, 2018
Photo by Craig Schwartz
Jonathon Glus, executive director, San Diego's Commission for Arts and Culture
Despite looming budget cuts, San Diego's new arts director says he's committed to protecting the city's arts funding.
"We are working hard to make sure the art funding itself is not touched during these cuts. We’re already very thin in administration and staff but we’re very focused on finding the cuts there," said Jonathon Glus, who took over last month as the executive director of the city of San Diego's Commission for Arts and Culture.
Mayor Kevin Faulconer has asked all city departments to proposed 3 percent spending cuts to offset projected deficits and arts funding has previously been a target.
The commission is responsible for doling out funding to arts and culture nonprofits. The commission awarded $11 million dollars in contracts to arts organizations in fiscal year 2019, according to the mayor's office.
The commission has recently been giving a second look to the formula it uses to allocate funds.
Glus discusses his priorities as the new head of the city's Arts and Culture Commission, Monday on Midday Edition.
To view PDF documents, Download Acrobat Reader.