Protests Against Arizona’s Immigration Law To Spread Across California

— Protests against Arizona’s recently approved immigration law are being planned around California for May 1. Arizona’s Governor signed a bill last week that requires police to check the identification of people they suspect are in the state illegally. They could be arrested if they cannot provide documentation. Al Rojas is with the Labor Council for Latin American Advancement, AFL, CIO. He says he’s concerned other states will follow suit.

Enlarge this image

Above: Opponents of Arizona's new immigration enforcement law protest outside the state capitol building on April 25, 2010 in Phoenix, Arizona.

“Now we have racial profiling being legalized in the state of Arizona, and that may be the outcome—some states wanting to take that road. And we want to make sure that not all Americans believe that is the right road and correct road.”

Rojas says there will be immigration rights rallies at the State Capitol and in the Central Valley on Saturday. Organizers are also planning a march and rally in Los Angeles.

Arizona’s Governor Jan Brewer has defended the law saying border-related violence and crime due to illegal immigration are important issues in the state.

Comments

vicsco | April 26, 2010 at 7:07 p.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

Vicsco says,

So sick of this continuing crap!
Issue: Immigration and Rule of law.
Read my lips.
LEGAL Mexican or any immigrant in this country------Welcome!!
ILLEGAL, anyone, GET OUT, STAY OUT!!!!!!!!!!
Simple-----What part of this don't you understand??

jnsinsman | April 26, 2010 at 7:33 p.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

Illegal : Profiling : anything else that one would contest , let it come, but it should have come a long time ago . Political correctness , ship it out the window also. take back our country and get these people back across the line when they belong but like sheriff JOE in Arizona he has been doing it already for some time and the President challanged him but some months later Joe is still at it and more power to him.

I say Adios amigos get the hell out of our country and do your dirty work back in Mexico or Guwato or where ever you came from.

jnsinsman | April 26, 2010 at 7:40 p.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

Arizona Governor Jan Brewer : here is one Missouri person that thanks you for your fortitude and wish you the best in your newly signed law.

Gods speed and peace be with you.

Do not bend to the forces from Washington they are short lived come November we shall see a new direction.

The media is trying to say now that the Tea Party is hurting the GOP but I am predicting that the Tea Party will swing to the conservatives and take the congress and house back and be rid of the likes of Pelosi, reid, and all the others, the "CZARS" as well. Throw Rev. AL Sharpton in with them too.

vccss555 | April 27, 2010 at 10:10 a.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

You all should be embarrassed- living in towns and on streets with Spanish names, hating people that named them before you got here and telling everyone to get out.

Allowing racial profiling is going to do nothing more than make living as a native to the region more difficult for actual natives and allow all the migrant white people to become more extremist and egalitarian than they already are. All of this is unfair, stupid, and irrelevant. get over it.

tomath | April 27, 2010 at 10:49 a.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

No one asked you to come here.

JulieNadine | April 27, 2010 at 11:40 a.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

But if the law is bad, then we should change it. As citizens we have both a right and a responsibility to do that.

benz72 | April 27, 2010 at 12:59 p.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

555 I don't think egalitarian is the word you are looking for, though I do hope we are on that track. As for the furor about profiling, wouldn't your argument be stronger if you waited to see what guidelines the police come up with to execute this law before complaining that it must be unfair, stupid and irrelevant?
Aparently the legislature thinks it is relevant enough to pass a law about.

I have to agree with Vicsco on this.

bateswriter | April 27, 2010 at 1:27 p.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

Regardless which political party in power didn't or won't enact laws to rid America of illegals, it needs to be done. I applaud Arizona's governor for taking steps to protect its legal citizens. Cries of "racial profiling" are but a smoke screen because legal citizens of America carry a legitimate ID, and in California, it's a photo ID–a driver's license. Moreover, if a "white" appearing American travels to a foreign country, instead of sneaking in, that American carries a passport. Is it "racial profiling" in England or France for example, if I am asked for ID? No. That's why smart people must see through the smoke and stand up for immigration laws which force illegal trespassers back to their home countries.

randolphslinky | April 27, 2010 at 1:32 p.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

The law is not a bad law, it is reasonable, logical, and should be enforced. Illegal immigration and the support of it through hiring, protesting with, or harboring illegals, erodes one of the pillars of our society - The Rule of Law.

There are so many reasons why illegal immigration is wrong and dangerous even without the fact that we have a law against it. Even Cesar Chavez was against allowing illegal immigrants into the country because it undermined a worker's ability to receive fair treatment and wages.

We have ninety million adults in America who have only a high school education - there is no shortage of unskilled labor in this country. It is delusional to say that US citizens will not do certain types of work, but they cannot compete against an undocumented worker who will always work longer hours, for less money, and under worse conditions. Is this what progressive/liberal Americans want? A growing base of the poor and down trodden which only becomes even poorer and more down trodden through unfair competition from illegal immigration?

Furthermore how can we do a proper census and project for growth and budgeting when we don't have an accurate idea of whom and how many live here? How do we provide adequate security? Who pays the taxes for their social services, education, health care? How do we prevent new diseases from cropping up and exploding into epidemics? How do you empower people to keep their birth rates down and stay in school? The answer is you cannot if you don't enforce your immigration laws.

anabeth | April 27, 2010 at 1:57 p.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

The United States of America is a land of immigrants. LEGAL immigrants, and we welcome them.

Any person who enters this country or any other country without proper documentation or permission has commited a criminal act. They are not to be rewarded for that action. They must be deported or prove their life was in danger and need asylum.

Since the federal government won't properly handle the situation, then God bless Arizona for taking action.

Now if California would...

demence | April 27, 2010 at 1:59 p.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

Tomath-"This is all very simple. If you don't like the laws enacted by the citizens of the United States and it's individual states, you should just go back to where you came from.

No one asked you to come here."

You should check yourself there. No one asked YOU to come here. No one asked your ancestors to rape and pillage our land. All they brought is hatred and the ignorant belief that just because they renamed our land and made borders it suddenly became theirs and all its past history was gone. Many of the people who are deemed illegal immigrants aren't breaking any laws. This land was ours before it was the "United States." This country has stooped so low. I guess you have to strip away every last bit of integrity to remain a dominant world power. I'm tired of all of the ignorance and blind hatred many people still have. I look down upon all other American citizens who believe in this bill, and am embarrassed to say i belong to such a moronic nation.

demence | April 27, 2010 at 2:08 p.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

If any of these illegal immigrants were any of your family members and they were constantly being profiled for trying to lead a better life here in this country whose supposed American dream is so desirable I think you would be singing another tune. Put yourself in their shoes. If any of you really tried to you would understand why this is so wrong.

evavrgs | April 27, 2010 at 2:10 p.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

I'm reading the pro and con about this illegal immigration bill in Arizona. Latinos wake up. There are good things coming from this terrible and irrational law. That is, not only taking care of our business in uniting us (joing forces) together as citizens of the US both Republicans and Democrats but, a coalition of other a like minded people of all ethnicities.

People, if they can come after us, legal and illegal alike, they will come after you. We're the experiment, if this law works for the state of Arizona it'll work for the rest of the country.
I believe we should be more inclusive about our country, laws which separate me from you are bound to create resentment on both sides. I say in this case, what do you think Jesus Christ would say about this law? About these tactics? About people using his name to call for racial profiling, using his name to sanction it? Good will come from this . . . whether you believe or not.

bimabill | April 27, 2010 at 5:21 p.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

Thank you evavrgs for your insight. Fellow Americans, please remember that in the 1930's in Germany the government started going after specific groups. All the "good" Germans stated that the government is not coming after me so I will just go on with my life. Well, we know where that ended up. Now, I know this is NOT Hitler's Germany but the idea of having to show "your papers" because of an accent or the color of your skin gives me the shivers.
This is the federal government's responsibility, not a states. If there is one good thing that may come out of this, it is that perhaps now there will be a real push on the federal level to deal with the undocumented in our country.

samTheCanuck | April 28, 2010 at 7:59 a.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

I have a hard time believing this is happening. I don't want to start a flame war but bimabill is right. I know your gonna call me a socialist or a communist because I'm Canadian but I'm proud of it. Our healthcare system is awesome and we respect any and all races.
This bill will be the death of freedom for all.
Who is illegal, white, visual minority, accent, no accent. How are cops going to choose who to question or is it going to be a matter of personal preference in which case might as well start a burning cross factory right now.
Human Rights apply to all. People even the illegal ones are people and they deserve the same rights as you + they sell and cook your food and clean your beds.
Sorry for the long message but I can't imagine there is support for this.
Public Healthcare Rocks welcome to the rest of the world.

Sincerely
Communist Sam

HoppingMad | April 28, 2010 at 9:04 a.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

I totally agree that *illegals* are illegals - they are breaking a law (but then almost all of break the speed limit laws while driving). Something needs to be done about it. But this law is not the solution.

Here's my issue: I am a legal permanent resident alien in this country and I have been here for more than a decade legally.

Now I imagine I am visiting the Grand Canyon for hiking trip - if a cop decides that I look 'suspicious' (I am often mistaken for a Latino even though I am not) - I will have to produce my papers. This is not a simple driver's license - I will need to show my official greencard. This card is an extremely valuable document and in case it is lost, it takes the agency almost a year to give you a new one! Till you get that new card, it's tough travelling in and out of the country, or to prove your status when you get a new job etc.
Needless to say, I won't be carrying around this important piece of paper while hiking. Result - that cop has the power to put me into jail.

So to all those saying, legals residents and citizens have nothing to worry about - my answer is there's plenty of needless harassment we could be subject to through this law. Not something I am willing to put up with as a positively contributing member of the community.

A better law to tackle illegal immigration would be stricter enforcement of laws in the workplace with regards to hiring of illegal workers.

Lucile | April 28, 2010 at 9:25 a.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

I cannot believe this person (dh) is loose on the streets. He's a menace to the community.

benz72 | April 28, 2010 at 9:45 a.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

According to the rights and responsibilities section of the USCIS guide for new immigrants one is required to "Carry proof of your permanent resident status at all times." I do not have a statute reference mandating that requirement, but have no difficulty believeing one exists.

As to the profiling issue... Would it make anyone feel better if they checked the ID of everyone they encounter? I don't have a problem showing mine. Have everyone provide ID as a matter of course and the racism argument evaporates. Check us all, regardless of ethnicity, and deport those who do not belong.

_asian_indian_ | April 28, 2010 at 9:56 a.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

Just heard the interview of with the California Politician Mr Hunter (9 AM , 26-APR-10.)

Its FASCINATING to know that people who represent this country think that being born on the US soil is not sufficient for being a Citizen of this country.

Me and my wife are not US Citizens, we are working here as (although LEGAL) non immigrant workers and trading the PRIME AGE OF OUR LIVES for couple of thousand US Dollors. Our daughter was born in the US .. Well ! It is disheartning to learn that some people do not like her being born here.

HoppingMad | April 28, 2010 at 11:09 a.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

@benz72 "Checking to make sure a requirement is being fulfilled is part of the law enforcement organizations job."

It's also the law enforcement's job to make sure that you are not speeding. Tell me how many times have you driven above the limit and not been caught ?

I am all for strictly checking the status of people when they apply for or are given jobs. Strict fines or even jail times for people aiding and abetting illegals.
But from a logistical point of view, it doesn't make sense for cops to enforce laws such checking if every person is carrying their legal paperwork. In some cases, such paperwork are not ID cards, but national passports with other pieces of papers attached to them. Not the most convenient thing to carry around.

Neither is it a good policy to stop people on mere 'suspicion'.
How do you define such 'suspicion' anyway? What's to say some overzealous cop won't be using their power to harass innocent citizens or legal residents? Once you hand the police powers such as this, it's a slippery slope.

"I don't have a problem showing mine. Have everyone provide ID as a matter of course and the racism argument evaporates. "

So what sort of ID are *you* carrying around all the time? A DL does not verify legality.

Eventually what are gong to see as a result of this law is a burgeoning underground fake ID providing industry.

benz72 | April 28, 2010 at 2:45 p.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

Driven above the speed limit? I don't know. But if I do and get caught, I have no one to blame but myself.

Incidentally, if the states would demand proof of legal status as a precondition to issuing a drivers license, they COULD verify legal status. Alternatively, having a Federal ID and License Card would be just as convenient.

What stops overzealous cops now? Those same methods (review boards? demotions? suspensions? firing?) would maintain discipline for this issue as well.

Fake IDs will always be an issue, but the harder and more expensive we make it to cheat the system the less inclined people will be to do so. One would not argue that since a thief with bolt cutters can snip a lock it isn't a good idea to lock up one's bicycle. Similary, just because a measue can be circumvented with some difficulty does not mean that it should not be enacted.

How do I define suspicious? A more apropriate question is 'How do police officers define suspisious?' I don't know how they do, but they seem to have been moderately successful to date.

I do not think anyone expects this law to catch 100% of the illegal aliens. Hopefully it, along with other measures, will make the likelihood and consequences of being caught not worth the risk.

CaliforniaDefender | April 28, 2010 at 4:40 p.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

Congratulations to Arizona and Gov. Brewer for having the courage to pass stricter immigration laws!

The federal government has failed in its responsibility and duty to protect American citizens and legal immigrants. Now it is up to the states to act more like independent nations and protect their own citizens and legal immigrants.

Let us hope that California passes a similar bill soon.

HoppingMad | April 29, 2010 at 9:35 a.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

@benz72
"A more apropriate question is 'How do police officers define suspisious?' I don't know how they do, but they seem to have been moderately successful to date."

That's the nub of the argument I was making. 'Looking suspicious' is vague and arbitrary. To continue with my earlier metaphor, it's the same as a traffic cop stopping you because he/she 'felt' you were speeding. At least border patrol agents and officers (e.g at the airport) are trained to look at such profiles. With ordinary policemen - IMO there will be more misuse of power.

Any particular statistic to back up the 'moderately successful' claim?

"What ID do I carry everywhere? US Government CAC card (Mil ID). My wife carries her Resident Card as well as a drivers license. It's just part of living here."

If you have no problems about the US looking more and more like a paranoid tin-pot dictatorship, more power to you. Nothing left to discuss.

Heck, I suggest Arizona pass a law whereby every person who looks 'suspiciously' illegal wear a government mandated tattoo on their forehead confirming their legality. Save the police some trouble. Or, why not go further and more hi-tech - install a chip in every legal resident. Police will just wireless scan while passing by. Create a few jobs in the electronics industry at the same time.

I do agree with you about a Federal DL/ID system (like a SS card) - unfortunately, it's the states that have been resisting such a move.

CaliforniaDefender | April 29, 2010 at 10:45 a.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

@ HoppingMad

It's not how police officers define "suspicious" it's how police departments and courts determine "suspicious." A police officer is not sitting there thinking "That guy is wearing suspicious looking socks" rather the officer relies upon extensive training to make an informed decision. Their job is to locate and apprehend criminals, thus stopping innocent people is a waste of their time. Does it happen? Of course it does, but their training is specifically designed to minimize it.

You did make me laugh. In one paragraph you suggest the US is looking more like a tin-pot dictatorship and in another you suggest we should introduce a Federal DL/ID system. Don't see a contradiction there?

Ultimately, Arizona is a sovereign state and free to govern its citizens as it pleases. IMO, they are on the right track and I can only hope that more states follow the courageous leadership of Arizona.

benz72 | April 29, 2010 at 11:04 a.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

I'm confused about your acceptance of a federal ID card and claim that having people cary one would result in us looking "more like a tin-pot dictatorship".

If you believe "looking suspicious" is too vague, why not endorse 100% ID check for all police contact? There is no profiling issue, no gray area, no discrimination... everybody plays by the same rules.

I do not have a way to proove a degree of success of any police agency. I am not certian how one would measure success accurately in any case. Please read the comment only as a personal opinion based on a perception of relative safety and the absance of widespread gross misconduct (I'm not inviting a contradiction here... it's another opinion).

As to the issue of stopping someone that a police officer "felt" was speeding; I do not have an issue with that either. If the result is something like "hey, it looks like you were going too fast there.... make sure you keep it under 35".
If they write a ticket based on an estimated speed, thats a lot more shaky. Hauling the driver out of the car and clubbing them gets into you tin-pot dictatorship scenario again and I'd have a huge issue with that. Do you view police as opponents of some sort? Are they liable to mistreat you? Why would one assume that if police are directed to enforce an existing law that many will do it unprofessionally?

We need (I believe) to know who is here. We need to be able to identify persons. I assume you are being sarcastic when you suggest the chip implant, but I really don't have an issue with it. They are much more difficult to forge, misplace or steal (issues already mentioned as a posible problems).

The tatto suggestion is obviously not workable. Any tattoo parlor could produce such a mark without velidating that the recipient is actually legal.

HoppingMad | April 29, 2010 at 12:34 p.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

benz72 & CaliforniaDefender:

There is no dichotomy in what I said. I should've put it this way: if US is indeed moving towards a tin-pot dictatorship of requiring people to carry their IDs around and producing them on demand from a law-enforcement officer, as both of you seem to be espousing, then its better to have a single federal ID card instead of carrying around several pieces of IDs all the time. For many non-resident aliens - here in the US legally, proof of legality implies carrying passport and pieces of paper. Not very convenient or practical. In my case, its a very valuable residency card, difficult to replace if lost/stolen.
A federal card containing the relevant information, IMO will be far more convenient.

All that doesn't change my position on the absurdity of asking people for papers based on an abstract suspicion.

I agree AZ has every right to pass the law, and if people don't like it, they should vote the lawmakers out of power.

My point is that laws such as these are full of rhetoric and does little to address real issues. There is no courage involved here. If one wants to really get rid of illegal immigration - spend more money on border security, ensure people do not employ illegals (very stiff penalties for doing so) etc.

Now don't get wrong here - I am not for illegal immigration or for providing them amnesty. I was a legal, hard-working, tax-paying person who had contributed significantly to the local economy - yet I had to jump through the hoops to obtain my permanent residency status, I do not want anyone jumping the lines to fast-track citizenship. In fact, my other beef is how issues as such as these sidelining the plight of many legal immigrants to the US who are in a residency limbo because law-makers can't fix the broken system.

And yeah - thanks for giving a serious consideration to my tattoo idea. But I do believe the RFID chips will still work.

benz72 | April 29, 2010 at 2:52 p.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

We will just have to agree to disagree on the reasonableness of having to carry ID with you. As a matter of curiosity, can you imagine any level of border porosity or any number of persons residing here illegally that would cause you to reconsider your opinion? Is your argument from principle such that you would rather any kind or number cross than require ID? Is your argument that the current level of non-compliance does not justify the effort or expense? Is there some other foundation for your opposition?

I agree that the law is full of rhetoric and fails to completely address the issue. In that regard I find it to be like almost all other laws.

Can courage not be shown in the willingness to take the abuse heaped on the people who wrote, voted for and signed the law? I have a general dislike for the political habit of failing to act for fear of angering anyone with a vote.

Adding a fence is a great idea, but as you point put with this law, it would only be part of a solution. It would do nothing, for instance, about the illegal aliens who are already on our side of the border.

Disincentivization through restriction of employment is another good tool, as is denial of social services, medical care and schooling. Tattooing, not so much #:)

HoppingMad | April 30, 2010 at 10:06 a.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

@ benz72: Ok with agreeing to disagree :-) I guess it's a difference iin philosophy. I see any kind of 'requiring of papers to be presented' as a slippery slope that can only lead to further intrusiveness of the government into our personal lives.

benz72 | April 30, 2010 at 10:21 a.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

For me, it's all about appropriateness. Stopping randomely on the street? no good. Verifying ID as a routine part of any official duty (traffic stop, witness interview, crime report, etc.) OK by me. I want my police to know who they are dealing with. Contact with the government is already intrusive, why not make it more worthwhile if it's going to happen anyway?

American | May 1, 2010 at 11:08 a.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

The true issue is crime, so why isn't Arizona legislature using their resources to combat the true problem. If there is drug trafficking then there must be a demand. According to the Office of National Drug Control Policy. "White" people have a higher perentage rate of using drugs than Mexicans but that issue is not adressed is it?
Racial profiling should NEVER be tolerated. We need new resoluations to old problems, we are supposed to be moving forward, not backward.

fretsward | May 1, 2010 at 12:27 p.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

**It is best to be considered loyal to Mexico, than to open one’s mouth and remove all doubt.**

The majority of Americans of all races have expressed their disapproval for the tsunami of illegal aliens running rampant throughout our country, and the upcoming Amnesty pushed by the racist Illinois Congressman and Mexican loyalist, Luis Gutierrez. After all, Democrats have to pay the Hispanic community back for allowing illegal immigrants to vote in our elections (an offense that would get you a prison sentence in Mexico).

What Americans are fed up with are the millions upon millions of people who come here illegally, do not want to assimilate or learn the language. People who send their earnings “home” to another country. People who are turning 2 bedroom apartments and single family homes into illegal camps housing up to 100. People who are stealing I.Ds and Social Security numbers from American taxpayers. People who are turning entire neighborhoods and city sections into Tijuana’s, where half the store signs advertise “llanteras usadas.” People who are killing American citizens at the rate of 27 per day through murder, drunk driving, etc. People who expect and demand their kids to be taught in Spanish, and don’t care what we Americans think. People who since 2000 have desecrated our National border parks with 45 million tons of trash.
People who drive illegally without auto insurance or set enough aside to cover their liabilities. People who use our expensive hospital emergency rooms as their cold and sniffle clinics. The real complaint here is that those “lazy Americans” who “follow the laws” find themselves increasingly squeezed and taxed, fingerprinted and regulated and licensed and strip-searched, while the illegals and their ilk thumb their noses, disregard our wishes, and give the finger to our laws.

Why is it dangerous that we can’t discuss these things frankly in the open, without crippling euphemisms that disguise what this is really about?

Every 3 months, a population the size of Tallahassee, FL pours across our southern border. They are not “undocumented,” or “immigrants.” They are illegal aliens. Period.

In 1997, pres Zedillioo proclaimed “I have proudly affirmed that the Mexican nation extends beyond the territory enclosed by its borders.” MALDEF founder Mario Obledo stated, “California is going to be a Hispanic state. Anyone who doesn’t like it should leave. Every constitutional office in California is going to be held by Hispanics in the next 20 years.” People who don’t like such demographic changes “should go back to Europe.” They see the US as lands they claim is theirs.

They call it Reconquista.

Americans are sick of Mexico, traitors, parasites, liberals, race hustlers, lawlessness, the tsunami of illegal aliens, liberals, cowardly news editors, fair-weather friends, and the Mexican/Latino/Hispanic agenda taking precedence over the direction and future of our country…

fretsward | May 1, 2010 at 12:40 p.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

This may help those of you who are ignorant to the affliction affecting all of us.

PROBLEMS WITH ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION:

Anchor Babies: Birthright Citizenship Exploited

Anti-American Attitudes

Anti-Semitic Attitudes

Attacks on Border Patrol and Law Enforcement

Attacks on Free Speech

Animal Abuse Increases

Birthing Tours (let's go visit and create an American while we're at it)

Census Numbers: Negative Impact on Cogressional Representation

Civil Rights: Devalued by comparison to illegal actions

Child Endangerment

Child Molestation

Closed and Overcrowded Hospitals and Emergency Rooms

Cost of Translators

Consulates issuing Matricular Cards (ID Mexico won't even accept)

Day Laborers loitering and creating public hazards

Depreciated Wages for Americans and Legal Immigrants

Foreign Influence on US Politics

Fraud of 14th Amendment (birthright citizenship) while in jurisdiction of
foreign country

Gangs, Graffiti, Drugs, Cartels, Smugglers, Kidnappers, and Violence

Gang Rape and Unreported Crimes

High Birth Rates and overpopulation

Hispanic/Latino Agenda taking precedence over all

Human Sex Slavery

Identity Theft

Increased Crime

Increased Taxes for Americans

Increased pressures on infrastructure (roads, traffic, water, sewer)

Infectious Diseases

Lost American Jobs

Lost American Sovereignty

Lost Self Governance of American Citizens vs Globalism and Elitism

Loyalty to Mexico/Hispanics/Latinos only

Male Chauvinism: Gender inequality

Murder of 27 US citizens daily through drunk-driving, etc.

Not Speaking English (nor caring to), loss of common language, Press 1 for
English

Overcrowded Schools and Negative Impact on American Education

Overcrowded single family homes

Overcrowded Jails and Prisons

Public Sanitation Loss: Trash and Human Waste in Towns

Push For Amnesty

Racist Groups and Race Based Politics

Remittances: Billions of dollars sent out of the US Economy

Rule of Law: Fundamental principles of America sacrificed

Seperatist Movements: Demands for autonomy

Smear Campaigns and Lies: Dirty Politics

Stolen American Taxpayer Resourses: Tuition, Welfare, Licenses

Taking Limited Seats in Colleges at Taxpayer Expense

Taxpayer Funds going to Special Interest Groups (example) "La Raza"

Terrorism Threats and loss of National Security

Trash and Negative Impact on Environment at Border

Unfair to Legal Immigrants

Unfair Business Competition for law abiding Companies

Unlicensed and Uninsured Motorists

Untaxed Wages

Voter Fraud

And you say they only come here to feed their families...

creamcrock | May 2, 2010 at 6:39 a.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

*ALERT*
S.D.P.D. does not run your soc.security or birth date when you call to report a crime.
Dangerous misinformation...

mv0013 | May 3, 2010 at 8:10 a.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

Completely agree with Arizona's proposed law and wished that Schwarzenegger had the guts to do the same.

No matter what race you are - if you are here illegally, get the eff out!

4johnjustice | May 3, 2010 at 1:12 p.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

1. I fully support AZ
2. MX must invest in it's public education if they are to be competetive in the global market.
3. MX Political Leaders are the one's to be held accountable, not the US!
4. US Citizens are not against immigration with MX. We are against illegal immigration.
5. Anyone who is for illegal immigration I dare you to post your banking info on the web, hmm didn't think so...
6. The US and MX together along with Euro nations must address the wage, enviromental, and currency issues with China.
7. We have lost too many US and MX Mfg jobs to China.
8. I honestly do not understand how a country in MX condition can exist next to the US? Canada does not have the issues of MX, so apparently the issue is with MX and not the US.....
9. I think the May 1 protestors are very mis-guided. It is not the US they should be protesting, it is the MX governement.
10. The US has immigration laws. If you do not like the conditions of MX, protest there. I would then fully support you.

When God looks down on us he sees one creation. He does however I think expect accountability and law fullness. MX has to embrace education and the US and other nations must address global job market....

tkterry | May 4, 2010 at 10:13 a.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

If people spent half as much time taking good care of themselves as they do worrying about what their neighbors are up to, we'd all be a lot better off.
Peacefull protests are among the hallmarks of this country and we need to hear from everyone including the bigots, the selfish and the ignorant

brixsy | May 6, 2010 at 10:27 a.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

Currently there is a net outflow of immigrants because of the economic conditions. When the economy gets better, the incentive will come back.

I think the problem with most of the people protesting immigrants is misinformation. I did a report on immigrants for a chicano studies class and found that there is a definite benefit to their presence in the US. They are paying towards benefits they can never use (Social Security) and keeping the price of produce from tripling or quadrupling.

A great chunk of America used to be theirs. So what makes it our land? The fact that we conquered them? We're not trying to see the situation from their perspective. If you were living in awful conditions across the border, you would want to come here, too.

The longer the stereotype is perpetrated that immigrants are prone to crime, vice, etc, the longer it will subsist. What if we actually tried to help instead of castigate them? If these newcomers were educated and inducted in our society, we would see a huge benefit. What else can we do, since we can't stop the flow? Business in the US needs their labor, why do you think there have been no comprehensive laws to close the borders? This has been the unofficial stance for a long time, the immigrants and business have a symbiosis.

benz72 | May 7, 2010 at 7:23 a.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

Brixsy,
1) Of course you can find good things associated with people. The question is not whether they have good qualities, it is whether or not those qualities outweigh the associated negative effects AND whether or not they respect the society they are attempting to join enough to ask to be admitted instead of demanding.

2) Increases in food price are a good thing, as they would help offset externalities involved in that market. Food, along with petroleum and water, are artificially cheap.

3) The land may have belonged to ancestors of the persons you are describing, but not to the individuals themselves. Either way though, what matters is who owns it now, and it is our governments (federal and state) to control who is allowed in. I presume you would object if a native american family snuck into your home and demanded to live there based on the fact that their ancestors owned the land it is built on.

4) If you want to help them, do so. I recommend you go help them make their county of origin a safe and productive place to live and work. Our unemployment rate is a signal (to me at least) that we are not in need of more labor.

5) I think the reluctance to enact effective policy stems more from misguided emotion and political fears of appearing callous than from any sustainable economic policy dependant on undocumented labor.

KeiMari | May 7, 2010 at 4:23 p.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

@fretsward

That is a paranoid and gross over-exaggeration of any problems that arise with illegal immigration. There are so many disturbing correlations and conclusions being drawn in that post, I don't even know where to begin. 7/8ths of the problems in there are caused by legal Americans (of no particular minority of majority) doing illegal things and dated laws.

Moving on...

There is a problem with illegal immigration in this country (there *always* has been and not just with our neighbors in the south...) and while I think something has to be done to rectify it, this law is not the way. All it does is feed the fear of the foreigner.

How *exactly* do you pick out someone you *suspect* of being illegal without an investigation already underway which there are already laws on? Do I have to be darker skinned? Because there are pleanty of Latinos who are light. Do I have to speak Spanish? Like that's a real good indicator in a country that's is host to over 52 languages. Do I have to be standing on a street corner while doing those things? Because I might do that while just hanging out with friends. If there's one thing I've learned in my life it's that you can never tell where a person's lineage lies with the people of this country and I'm disturbed by the attitudes of all sides in this case.

Frankly, I'd say if you're so worried, get your government to lay down the law on those HIRING illegals. Yeah, that means keeping a closer eye on businesses in the interest of "fairness."

In short, I'm not sure how the basic wording of this law is anything but racist. And one last note: Even if this economic crisis, I haven't seen jobless whites making a desperate rush to work 10 hours a day bent over in fields doing manual labor...

dherrer1 | May 10, 2010 at 11:13 a.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

I am a Hispanic-American, my parents came to this country legally 50 years ago. At the time all of my uncles enlisted in the army and served in europe. I agree with SB-1070 but think it is not the total solution. This country has ALWAYS welcomed LEGAL immigrants unlike most other countries including Mexico. But to reall combat this problem ALL americans need to pinch in. We need to have some kind of a national ID card which I do not think would improse on our civil liberities, if anything it will reinforce them. As a Army vet I was required to always carry a military ID card. I did not feel oppressed by this requirement. I believe that we should take the current SSN card and modernize it with a photo and fingerprints. We should also take 10% of the Border Patrol and move them into the urban areas to verify that employers comply with our labor laws. 10% shoudn't reduce our inforcement ability at our borders. Those of you who believe that mexicans have a RIGHT to enter our country in any fashion should travel to Guatamala and see how the Mexican Army handles illegals from Central America trying to come into Mexico ilegally. Look, the issue of poverty in mexico is MEXICOS problem and not ours. They are NOT a poor county they are actually a VERY RICH county under super bad management. Mexicans need to fix Mexico and stop exporting their poverty.

PreachersKid | May 10, 2010 at 10:46 p.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

I for one, hope this law goes into effect in AZ. I can't wait to see AZ go bankrupt. It wont be long before they repeal the law and beg the immigrants to come back. I really want to see Phoenix become a ghost town though. That would be great.

Any town that has tried draconian laws such as this has regretted it. Riverside, NJ is a good example. Immigrants left and the place became a ghost town. Business owners went bankrupt and any who tried to leave couldn't because nobody wanted to buy their businesses.

Yes, AZ deserves this fate. The only downside I see is that when that god forsaken place goes bankrupt we'll have even more rednecks invading San Diego. Not too excited about that prospect.

PreachersKid | May 10, 2010 at 10:56 p.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

dherrer,

You're obviously one of the minutemen trying to pose as a Hispanic. You're spouting their talking points verbatim.

You obviously don't understand the implications of this idiotic 'law.'

As a Hispanic/Native American, my family was here (New Mexico/Colorado area) before America was America. As an American, I have the right to travel about freely in MY country of origin without being accused of a crime for merely walking in my country.

I'll be damned if I'm going to have my rights violated just because some idiotic rednecks in AZ think that living in a police state is fine with them. You better believe I will be joining millions of Americans in boycotting this backwards redneck state.

If you really are Hispanic ( I doubt it, I see the minutemen pull this crap all the time) you are welcome to let them treat YOU like a second class citizen, but as for me, hell no they're not going to!

I suggest you look up the 4th amendment,..and then read it.

dherrer1 | May 11, 2010 at 2:26 p.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

Dear PreachersKid,

Ahhhh yes I am Hispanic born in East Los Angeles from parents from Durango Mexico and Chihuahua Mexico. Both places I have visited and gotten to know very well. No I am not a minteman possing as an Hispanic..I don't need to hide my thoughts from anybody. As far as the Minuteman, no I do not support their views but I would defend their rights to have them as long as they do it in a lawfull manner. What I propose is far from a Police state, I have visited a Police state many times (China) so I know what I am talking about. I feel deeply for the plight of these people but I don't belive it is americas problem. I have travel extensivly throughout Mexico and have many friends from all walks of life. This problem is Mexicos problem and they need to solve it the way Brasil and Chile have done. Allowing the Mexican government an escape valve is not helping them it's just facilitating their mis-management policies. Please don't judge me based on your prejustices..I don't think I need to defend my Hispanicness to anybody. I went through a load of this stuff in the 70's as an undergrad at UCLA and later as a Captain in the Army. I suggest you travel to Chiapas Mexico and talk to Guatamalens captured by the mexican infantry and ask them how the were treated. We need to stop making excuses for Mexico and start making them ack like they actually care about their people. Again, I repeat, Mexico is not a poor county, they have tremendous resources but a poor government that only knows how to mis-manage everthing because no one ever holes them accountable. It's time someone does and if Arizona wants to do it with SB1070 it's a start. I think Arizona will need to inforce it's other laws against racial descrimenation but it's doable. Racial profiling is not new, it's used all the time in airports, shopping centers security systems etc. It depends on how it is used and we have plenty of laws on the books to protect us against this type of behavior by the police. A police state....you need to get out a bit more..a national ID card is noway near this...get real and become part of the solution.

Jewel | May 12, 2010 at 8:53 a.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

Most people commenting here have no idea about the realities and dysfunction of current immigration law. Many good people have tried to follow the law and find that current immigration laws are irrational. In my family, there is someone without documents. His mother is a citizen (and he supports her), his wife is a citizen, and his two children are citizens. He owns a business here legally, pays taxes, and employs an American citizen. He cannot adjust his status under current laws. He has an I-130 through his mother, but his actual residency would take 30+ years to process at the current rate that I-130s are processed. He had to make a choice between waiting 30 years to legally enter the US or cross "without inspection". There are 6 American citizens who depend on his presence and work here. He has no criminal record. He drives with a registered, insured vehicle- but with no California driver's license because he cannot get one. Immigration reform does not mean opening the floodgates. It means making it possible for a person like him to pay a hefty fine and no longer live in fear of deportation. Time for reform. And for our congressman, Brian Bilbray, to make such a racist, stupid comment that an "illegal alien can be identified by his shoes" just illustrates the depth of his ignorance about the issue. Undocumented immigrants are not all day laborers (and many day laborers have legal residency)- many people with college degrees, business owners, spouses and children of citizens cannot adjust their status. Young people who have grown up here, been educated in our schools since kindergarten and only speak English- are stuck. I teach high school, and I see so many young people who want to join the military or go to college facing a black hole. They have no hope. We need reform, not racist laws based on misinformation and fear.

kobeybmw | May 13, 2010 at 8:31 p.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

I am boycotting San Diego, Coronado (Where I Grew Up), The Hotel Del Coronado, and all its LEGAL DOCUMENTED employees this summer and will have our previously planned forty-seven member family reunion in Scottsdale, Arizona instead!!!! Thanks, San Diego School Board, Its CHEAPER in Arizona! Your city does not need the sales tax etc.

bix | May 14, 2010 at 8:31 a.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

I think a lot of you getting your panties in a wad would find it interesting to trace your family tree and find out how many of your ancestors were "undocumented." My sneaky Polish great-grandmother was undocumented, should we kick the three or four generations she spawned back to Poland? Lighten up. Nobody's stealing your million dollar homes, and you don't even have to cut your own million dollar lawn.

randolphslinky | May 14, 2010 at 10:16 a.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

@bix

We are talking about a CURRENT situation, a current situation with different circumstances and with numbers and impact that are much different today than when America was either in it's infancy or expanding and growing. There is a THRESHOLD for everything and the threshold has been met. No one cuts my lawn but me, and no one cleans my house but me, I was in a field at the age of 10 working from 6 til sundown until I left for military service and then college, and I just happen to be white. Get over the idea that only people of color sweat and struggle to make it.

This race card nonsense is insulting, nonproductive, and completely disingenious. We are a nation of laws, we have immigration laws and the federal government isn't enforcing those laws. Arizona has no other choice.

benz72 | May 14, 2010 at 10:25 a.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

KeiMeri, Would you please point out the specific wording in the law that you suspect of being racist?

evelynlexo | May 17, 2010 at 4:36 a.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

Yes, a lot of people never read the law SB1070. This law has nothing to do with racism.
Referendum requires filing 76,682 voter signatures by 90 days. But Still at most of online polls people support the Law. http://immigration.civiltalks.com/

sdindependnt | May 17, 2010 at 10:48 a.m. ― 4 years, 4 months ago

HELLO EVERYONE -- WE ALL LIVE HERE SO I THINK WE SHOULD ALL SIT BACK AND THINK ABOUT THIS INSTEAD OF YELLING AND NAME CALLING.

I am democrat on most all issues, because out party generally thinks through out actions before making a decision. The Arizona law is not only right but it is constitutional for a variety of reasons. For those of you who call this racist - I am engaged to a black woman and one of my friends is to. This is not an issue of race.

If you say its ANTI IMMIGRATION, this is just simply not the case! it's protectionism at a time of need. Our economy, debt, and terrorism threaten our very existence as a superpower. Many people just want to call others names - I am personally embarrassed with many very left DEM's...racism, wow? This immaturity only hurting the DEM party been seen and smart, and USA as a whole. My parents and grand and great grandparents built the school, streets and molded this county. As such, legal citizens are entitled to used these assets.

The author Jeffery K - Moving Millions. I am most certinly not going to read it. After listening to the writer, I can see is trying to hide his ACTIVISM behind a so called journalistic book. Over 60% of the polls show the American Public agree Arizona is right, and they are right. Shame on Maureen Cav. she conducted this interview very poorly, just as she does with many political issues. She is time and time again; very very! left, controls the opposition view points(calls) to a minimum, and doesn't have an opposing view point - or limits its to a min. WHERE IS TOM FUDGE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! COME BACK PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SHE IS THE REASON THE GOP SAY'S TAKE AWAY PUBLIC BROADCASTING FUNDING - IT'S JUST A FROM FOR THE FAR LEFT. CHANGE HOSTS PLEASE, OR DO IT RIGHT.