San Diego’s Historic Places: Mexican Period/ Californios

Airs Sunday, May 22, 2011 at 10:30 p.m. on KPBS TV

Above: Historical photo of the Rancho Santa Fe - Osuna Adobe built in 1836

Enlarge this image

Above: Photo of one of the first maps of San Diego.

Historical photo of a descendent from the Silvas family, 1800s.
Enlarge this image

Above: Historical photo of a descendent from the Silvas family, 1800s.

Learn more about San Diego County's history with host Elsa Sevilla, on "San Diego's Historic Places." This series details the history of San Diego and surrounding areas, explores the region, and certainly touches on California history. Some of the topics and viewer favorites include historic hotels, historic theaters, stagecoach stations, Victorian houses and railroad depots, to name a few.

Elsa Sevilla is passionate about history. She travels the county in search of unique, beautiful and grand "Historic Places." The biggest reward for Elsa is when viewers mention they knew of the location, but never knew the history, until they watched "San Diego's Historic Places."

"Mexican Period/ Californios"

In this episode, learn how Mexican land grants were given to the retired soldiers from the Presidio, and prominent Californio families, like the Carillos, Bandinis, Estudillos, Silvas and many others. Hear the stories from descendants of the Carillo and Fitch families still living in San Diego.

Watch video excerpts from two past episodes below:

Video

San Diego's Historic Places: Cosmopolitan Hotel

Above: May 2010 episode of "San Diego's Historic Places" about Old Town San Diego and the restoration of the famed Cosmopolitan Hotel / Juan Bandini House.

Video

San Diego's Historic Places: Circus And Amusement Parks

Above: November 2010 segment from "San Diego's Historic Places" about the history of the Giant Dipper roller coaster at the Mission Beach Amusement Center. Also featured is the Wonderland Amusement Park in Ocean Beach.

Video

San Diego's Historic Places: Balboa Park Navy

Above: June 2010 episode of "San Diego's Historic Places" about the US Navy's "occupation" of Balboa Park during World War I.

Comments

sallyfox | April 26, 2011 at 2:34 p.m. ― 3 years, 3 months ago

As a member of the Early San Diego Regional History Collaborative, I'm excited to see this episode tonight!

As a language teacher, I'm curious about the use of "the Silvas" to refer to members of the Silvas family. I think it should say "the Silvases" or "the Silvas family" instead. I know Abel Silvas, and calling his family the Silvas sounds like their name is Silva. It's not. it's Silvas. In Spanish it would be "los Silvas" or "la familia Silvas." It's like calling my family "the Fox" instead of "the Foxes."

Sorry if that seems like nitpicking. ; )

I hope you'll do many more episodes of the early history of our region, including the many fascinating people and places prior to the arrival of the various European groups (including my own). THANK YOU!!

HarryStreet | April 26, 2011 at 3:07 p.m. ― 3 years, 3 months ago

Those who do not know history are condemned to repeat it. I'm sure this will help us learn more about our past than we realize.

dfay | October 17, 2011 at 11:43 p.m. ― 2 years, 10 months ago

San Diego's Historic Places is an informative and interesting program, especially if you are fascinated by the history of our city as I am.

Unfortunately, the omnipresent repetitive, hyper, piano accompaniment of each story makes you want to drive an ice pick into your eye before the end of the story. Loudly playing the same stanza of player-piano ragtime over and over for ten minutes does not transport the viewer back in time.
A show this good does not need this distraction.

ksilvas82 | February 18, 2012 at 8:53 a.m. ― 2 years, 6 months ago

I think I am part of the Silvas history here in San Diego, I have found a lot of commonalities with family trees on ancestry.com but am not sure if maybe I'm from a taboo side of the family or something because everything I have found on ancestry that would pertain to my side is always set to "private" while they leave the rest of the info public. Some users who have my side of the family on ancestry even have their profile set to where I can't even contact them whatsoever making it very difficult to find out more about exactly what happened with where we descended from.

nick | February 26, 2012 at 8:15 p.m. ― 2 years, 5 months ago

Hey Cousin, If your last name is Silvas and your roots are from California then you are related to one of the first founding families of this State. I've also notice ancestry.com has many mistakes about are family and that's probably why it's taboo, Ha! If you really wanna get connected to your roots, then come on down to Old Town State Park and meet your other cousins at the Descendant's Adobe aka The Silvas y Machado Adobe (Associated to the Osuna Adobe above). The Poppy Paper which can be viewed at the BOOT website: boostersofoldtown.com Will help you get there. Good luck and see you at our next Family Research Workshop. Nick