Camp Pendleton Marine Investigated For Road Rage Incident (+Video)

Camp Pendleton officials say the Marine Corps sergeant caught on tape in a road rage incident is being investigated for "potential legal or administrative proceedings."

Base spokesman Sgt. Christopher Duncan said in a statement released to CNN:

"...any further legal proceedings regarding this incident would be at the discretion of his unit, which is still gathering information."

As Home Post reported last week, a female Marine who is paralyzed from the waist down shot video of the Marine sergeant verbally attacking her and her caregiver brother after a fender bender on base.

In the video (posted below), the sergeant physically threatens the injured Marine's brother, uses abusive and profane language, and kicks the vehicle in which the injured Marine and her brother are sitting.

Video

Road Rage Incident on Camp Pendleton

San Diego television station 10News has identified the Marine involved in the road rage incident as Sgt. Joshua Brightman, a Purple Heart recipient who was shot while serving in Afghanistan.

He recently spoke at the elementary school where his mother, Sheila Brightman, works as a teacher - showing him in a much different light. I've posted video of Sgt. Brightman's speech at the school assembly below:

Video

Road Rage Marine in a Different Light

Comments

wpatti359 | April 8, 2013 at 5:37 p.m. ― 1 year, 5 months ago

I feel that this is a disgrace what went on over a fender bender. If he has that short of a fuse he should no longer be active duty, he is a very dangerous man. Don't PTSD for the excuse for what went on, if he has it, he should have been getting treatment for it before this happened. My experience working on a military base as a civilian is that a lot of these young men have more of an ego problem, especially in the branch of the Marines. I feel sorry for the people in the car who had to listen to the garbage mouth he had. They should sue for damage on there vehicle being kicked and punched, and for all the terrible names called to a disabled veteran.

georgesands | April 8, 2013 at 10:33 p.m. ― 1 year, 5 months ago

This is the only thing being investigated at Camp Pendleton? They should have drug raids and investigations into their sexual assaults and rapes. These are the guys in your community!
They train these guys to use PTSD to get out of everything. Someone pointed out the woman behind him seemed undisturbed like she was used to this behavior. The marines are a danger to society not protectors! These are the guys they enlist

memej1982 | April 10, 2013 at 6:52 p.m. ― 1 year, 5 months ago

Where is any ounce of empathy for his mental state of mind?!! I say that it is so sad the way that everyone is so very quick to discount that he truly has been affected by PTSD. This man served in Afghanistan, was shot, Lord only knows what he was exposed to; seeing his coworkers/peers wounded or killed! I KNOW that I would never be the same if I were exposed to some of what he had to endure.

Sure that doesn't make it right what he did, but it certainly is understandable. Now this Country, who he bravely sacrificed for, is SO QUICK to leave him...to turn their backs on him. My God how sad all of this is.

If anything, have just as much sympathy for him, as you do the other wounded military woman in the car. We should be reaching out to him, getting him help instead of ridiculing, judging, and pointing the finger at him.

Now his father is even speaking out against him!!! He must feel like he has no one. I feel so very badly for him and what he suffered through and IS STILL suffering through. We should use this opportunity to FINALLY give the attention that PTSD should have, and to ensure that these service members have mandatory exams & counseling for this disorder.

We are blaming him, and telling him to get help but not everyone with disorders, even recognize that they have them. That is why it is imperative for counseling to be mandatory...that eliminates the shame that prevents people from coming forward and admitting that they have a problem.

PLEASE STOP. Embrace this man and tell him that you are proud of him for serving this country. That we will get him help. What was done to him was far worse than what he did to that man sitting in the car. Afterall, no one got physically hurt...thank God.

My heart goes out to him. (sorry so long but everything I said was everything that I felt).

MissMyCountry | April 11, 2013 at 11:14 a.m. ― 1 year, 5 months ago

Under what circumstances is this kind of behavior acceptable? Imagine if he had a weapon - of any kind!!!! A rock, a tire iron, anything. What an out of control POS. I for one do not wish to have such insane idiots defending my country. Heaven help the sad woman who puts up with that crap. His father defending him and everyone crying PTSD - give me a break. Only thing better is if the guy would have gotten out of the car and opened up a king size can of martial arts whoop-ass on him and shut his ignorant face up. Defend my country indeed. What do you think ignorant fools like that say for the rest of the fine human beings who defended our country with honor and dignity, pride and responsibility. I happen to have a few of those in my family. This chump is an embarrassment to his family, to his country and to The Corps. They should kick his insane ass out. Dishonorably.

crismahn | April 11, 2013 at 1:01 p.m. ― 1 year, 5 months ago

I wonder how many innocent Iraqis and Afghans were roughed up or killed by Sgt Brightman for far less than what happened in this incident. For just not understanding or not moving fast enough while this immature little psycho was in their faces screaming at them in a language they didn't understand and pointing his weapon at them. Sadly, Sgt Brightman is the face of America that we are sending around the world to win hearts and minds in this misbegotten WOT. Any wonder that it isn't working? And don't any of you jarheads out there start in about how this guy isn't representative of the Corps. He is and you know it. The Marines don't promote guys to Sgt and award them medals for NOT fitting-in, do they?

moneil2012 | April 11, 2013 at 4:54 p.m. ― 1 year, 5 months ago

memej1982 - I think you would feel very differently if this nut was screaming obscene remarks at you and kicking your car repeatedly. I mean really? There is NO excuse for this behavior. He obviously has serious issues and it is scarey to watch this. I feel sorry for his wife!! If he behaves this way with a camera rolling, imagine how he is behind closed doors! I get that these men and women who go to Afghanistan or Iraq are exposed to terrible things but his behavior is not an example of what a true Marine should stand for or their code of conduct. He is supposed to show respect and even protect the very type of person who he is screaming at here - I mean here one of his fellow Marines is in that car and her brother - and he should do so, regardless of the circumstances that precipitated this behavior. At the very least he should get anger management training but if I was his commanding officer I would consider some sort of punitive action too. He is a frightening individual who needs both help and more.

straightup | May 20, 2013 at 8:53 p.m. ― 1 year, 4 months ago

Ah yes... PTSD is definitely real and this cat might have been experiencing a bit of stress due to his impending boarding out, but he's still a typical overly-driven marine with a hint of drama. This is evident in the comment he makes, at the school, about how he was shot but wouldn't have made it if it weren't for his buddies. He got shot through the hand. It was not life-threatening, but it's a good sound-byte. I know soldiers who have been shot six times and lived, and do not speak of it so glibly. If you still doubt Brightman is not 'dramatic', watch that clip of him and his friends at the funeral of his friend. While it is noble to want to protect your friend from anti-military picketers, listen to some of the crap he is spewing, and the dumbass with him laughing about it. If you are going to do something in the name of honor, act with honor. Period. I'm glad e is getting help, but it seems he was a bit of an ass before his PTSD. I have friends and family in the services, and respect them for it. Some suffer from PTSD. One in particular had his jackass quotient increased exponentially, but it was a reflection of his personality before his service. Patience can only take you so far before your actions are indefensible.

Rajko | June 26, 2013 at 2 p.m. ― 1 year, 2 months ago

Sorry, this probably has nothing to do with PTSD. I've known a lot marines and military guys in general (US Army for 8 years) and a-holes like this are not uncommon, especially with Marines.

surf4food | July 3, 2013 at 8:44 a.m. ― 1 year, 2 months ago