Public Broadcasting Legend Huell Howser Dies

Above: Huell Howser amongst the California poppies, wearing his iconic sunglasses and gold shirt.

Aired 1/7/13 on KPBS News.

Huell Howser, 67, a public broadcasting legend best known for California's Gold, has died, according to his assistant, Ryan Morris.

Huell Howser, a public broadcasting legend best known for California's Gold, has died at the age of 67.

He died in Palm Springs at 2:35 a.m. of natural causes, according to the Riverside County Coroner's Office.

Howser retired from the show, unexpectedly, last November. He joined public television station KCET in 1987 to produce "Videolog," short programs featuring people's unique stories. The series later expanded to people and places throughout California.

City News Service contributed to the information in this report.

Comments

RayEargle | January 7, 2013 at 6:35 p.m. ― 1 year, 7 months ago

My wife and I met Huell Howser on some of his California Gold shows; one of ours was the Different between the Scott Theater in Monterey, Ca. and the Eagle Theater in Sacramento, Ca. Doing our Old Sacramento Living history, Huell path would cross ours off and on He was always a joy to talk to; Also He was great to tell the History and the life of Californian life and the wonderful people and places, that most Californians would never see or know about if not for his shows. My wife and I will truly will miss, this true Californian.

DanaEyraud | January 7, 2013 at 9 p.m. ― 1 year, 7 months ago

The sad passing of Mr. Huell Howser... Well, I suppose that's ONE giant wish on my bucket list that will never be fulfilled now. I don't know about you, but I often wonder how many other people, besides me, frequently dreamed of going on a road trip with Huell to some "off the beaten path" destination in California? For me, it was a huge dream. Oh... what fun we would have had! Never in my life have I seen a man with a bigger love of the world around him and this incredible golden state that he called home. I respected the love that Mr. Howser carried in his heart for California and how he carried that same love into our homes week after week, for so many years. The love Mr. Howser showed for this great state is the same sort of unabashed love that I carry for California too! It warmed my soul to see another person who, like me, could get so excited over California poppies or even something as obscure as lint art. His heart was so big and his mind so full of his God given talents. This made his ability to share with others, so incredibly vast and seem almost endless. Today, Mr. Howser started on a new journey. I can see him now... in awe of everything he sees, touches and finds in Heaven. I bet his soul is just brimming with love, joy and enthusiasm. I can not begin to tell you how much we will miss him nor explain in words how much his shows touched our family's hearts and lives. Huell had this way of making you feel right at home, even through the TV screen. This evening, my family and I grieve as if we lost a precious family member. Because, family is what he made you feel like, every time you tuned it. What will we do without our Huell? No doubt, there are millions here in our golden state who feel the same way as we do this evening. Truly, we have all lost the biggest treasure that California will ever know... we have lost Huell Howser. He WAS California's Gold! Only God knows the time, way and hour in which we will pass. But, surely as the sun set this evening and it will rise over our shining golden state tomorrow, he made all of us his family in some way and a part of Huell will live on forever through each of us. He is a man who made a difference. Huell, your shows taught more than just taking the time to smell the roses and seeing the beauty in the world around us. Your shows taught more, much more... kindness, sharing, consideration, manners, respect and unconditional love for all. Mr. Howser, you were a true gentleman, a commodity, which in this old world seems harder and harder to find. Someday, when I go to Heaven, I can think of no better man to help inspire me, guide me and show me the awesome and wonderful sites of God's Heavenly creations than Mr. Huell Howser! Hope to see ya then, Huell. Till then, God bless and we'll see ya later.

Sincerely, one of your biggest and most devoted fans... Dana Eyraud

simonthegreat | January 7, 2013 at 10:05 p.m. ― 1 year, 7 months ago

Very sad. Heull showed and thought me how to travel and see the best in any town I have stopped. I don't think I have been this sad in many years as our state truely did lose one of if not the best ambassador. Thank you Heull for very great memories.

sdkelly | January 8, 2013 at 9:10 a.m. ― 1 year, 7 months ago

A truly warm and wonderful man, he will both be missed in person and enjoyed on video for many years to come. Many places he led me to in California over the years, and I often referred others to his shows in trying to explain how there's just so many things to see and do here in California for vacations and day trips that anyone can just go to without spending a fortune traveling. ...And, yes; I also daydreamed a few times about going on a weekend trip with him and my family to somewhere unknown and fascinating. Thank You Huell Howser.

llk | January 8, 2013 at 12:45 p.m. ― 1 year, 7 months ago

Huell didn't strike me as the dying type. I loved California's Gold. Big fan. He was a goodwill ambassador to tourists in their own land.

Governor Brown, let's get an official Huell Howser Day set up, or whatever we have to do to memorialize him properly.

malston | January 12, 2013 at 3:10 p.m. ― 1 year, 7 months ago

There were 2 aspects of Huell's broadcasts that made me a forever fan. He took me to places within driving distance of my home that I could surely visit if I had the time to do so, but which I know it is unlikely I will ever visit. Places like each of the "corners" of CA state, the geographic center of CA state, etc. He introduced us to unknown people in obscure places who have lived marvelous lives, and he did it professionally, with respect and class.

Also, more importantly, Huell's broadcasts reflected nothing but GOOD. The good things in CA, the good in CA's citizens, and good treatment of others. When compared with some the other shows being aired and hyped today, like Joan Rivers on Fashion Police, or Chelsea Handler on Chelsea Lately. These shows show us how to seek out and bring to light the WORST in each other.

Dana Eyraud's post on 1/7/2013 said it so well: "Your shows taught more, much more... kindness, sharing, consideration, manners, respect and unconditional love for all. Mr. Howser, you were a true gentleman, a commodity, which in this old world seems harder and harder to find."