WATCH LIVE: Biden remarks on COVID-19 response (Posted 01/26/21 at 1:58 p.m.)
San Diego’s Top Weekend Events: An Ambitious Art Show
Friday, September 15, 2017
Credit: Courtesy of Pacific Standard Time
We're sorry. This audio clip is no longer available. A transcript for audioclip 36663 has been made available.
Celebrate Mexican Independence Day with a massive art installation and a party in Old Town.
Pacific Standard Time: LA/LA
Pacific Standard Time: LA/LA is a far-reaching and ambitious exploration of Latin American and Latino art in dialogue with Los Angeles.
Led by the Getty, Pacific Standard Time: LA/LA is the latest collaborative effort from arts institutions across Southern California, including several in San Diego.
Here's a list of local museums participating:
- Mingei International Museum will present Art of the Americas: Mesoamerican, Pre-Columbian Art from Mingei’s Permanent Collection from Sept. 16, 2017 through Feb. 18, 2018.
- Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego will exhibit Memories of Underdevelopment in collaboration with Museo Jumex in Mexico City and the Museo de Arte de Lima from Sept. 17, 2017 through Jan. 7, 2018.
- Museum of Photographic Arts has Point/Counterpoint: Contemporary Mexican Photography from Sept. 30, 2017 through Feb. 11, 2018.
- Oceanside Museum of Art will present UnDocumenta from Sept. 23, 2017 through Jan. 28, 2018.
- San Diego Museum of Art shows Modern Masters from Latin America: The Pérez Simón Collection from Oct. 21, 2017 through March 11, 2018.
- University of San Diego will have Xerografia: Copyart in Brazil, 1970-1990 from Sept. 15 through Dec. 16, 2017.
Details: September 2017 through January 2018. Throughout Southern California. Prices vary.
Fiestas Patrias 2017
This Mexican Independence Day celebration begins at noon with the ringing of the traditional Fiestas Patrias bell at the historic Casa de Estudillo at noon.
The celebration, which honors the day Mexico declared independence from Spain in 1821, will feature traditional music and dance groups, equestrian groups, crafts, games and historical presentations.
The park will also have activities and piñatas for children.
Details: Noon to 4 p.m. Saturday. Old Town San Diego State Historic Park, 4002 Wallace St., Old Town. Free.
Music, Visual Arts
This "music festival for grown ups" takes place over three days at the Del Mar Fairgrounds and prides itself on quality and comfort..
It brings high-profile acts like Pink, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Weezer, Jackson Browne, Ice Cube and many more. There’s also a great comedy stage with Maria Bamford and Patton Oswalt, an impressive collection of art, and areas where you can sample foods from top chefs.
Details: 1 p.m. to midnight Friday; 11 a.m. to midnight Saturday and Sunday. Del Mar Fairgrounds, 2260 Jimmy Durante Blvd., Del Mar. $250 to $3,000; find tickets.
To view PDF documents, Download Acrobat Reader.