SECRETS OF THE DEAD: Death In Britannia
Premieres Wednesday, Nov. 1, 2023 at 10 p.m. on KPBS TV / PBS App + Encore Thursday, Nov. 16 at 8 p.m. on KPBS 2
The discovery of a skeleton, dating to the Roman occupation of Britain, provokes further study after scientists see an iron nail driven through its heel bone. Could the remains belong to someone the Romans crucified? Despite hundreds, if not thousands, of people being crucified in the Roman Empire, only one other crucified skeleton has ever been found in the world. Who was this person? What was his life in Roman Britain like? And what could they have done to receive so harsh a punishment? Explore this discovery on SECRETS OF THE DEAD "Death In Britannia."
- David Ingham – Albion Archaeology
- Kathy Pilkinton – Albion Archaeology
- Corinne Duhig – University of Cambridge
- John Granger Cook – LaGrange College
- Alan Rout – Spire Cambridge Lea Hospital
- Iacopo Auaranta – Spire Cambridge Lea Hospital
- Ben Garrod – University of East Anglia
- Shushma Malik – University of Cambridge
- James Gerrand – Newcastle University
- Christiana Scheib – University of Cambridge
- Jane Evans – British Geological Survey
- Piers Mitchell – University of Cambridge
- Joe Mullins – George Mason University
Watch On Your Schedule:
Extend your viewing window with KPBS Passport, a benefit for members supporting KPBS at $60 or more yearly, using your computer, smartphone, tablet, Roku, AppleTV, Amazon Fire or Chromecast. Learn how to activate your benefit now.
A production of Impossible Factual and The WNET Group, in association with ZDF Studios, ZDF, and ARTE France. Directed by Adam Luria & Ed Baranski. Narrated by Jay O. Sanders. Produced by Ed Baranski. For Impossible Factual: Jonathan Drake and Steve Maher are executive producers. For ZDF: Peter Allenbacher is executive producer. For ZDF Studios: Nikolas Hülbusch is executive producer. For SECRETS OF THE DEAD: Benjamin Phelps is supervising producer; Stephanie Carter is executive producer; Stephen Segaller is executive in charge.