Lindsay Lohan Speaks Out On Egypt

— Actress Lindsay Lohan today spoke of the need for Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak to step down and allow democracy to flourish. Egypt has been reeling after weeks of mass protests.

Lindsay Lohan urged the establishment in democracy in Egypt.
Enlarge this image

Above: Lindsay Lohan urged the establishment in democracy in Egypt.

When informed that Mubarak had stepped down, Lohan said, “Cool.” Told it was the result of a military coup, she said, “Gross!”

Although Lohan spoke sympathetically of the Egyptian protesters, she was clearly pissed off by the amount of media coverage they’ve received. Surveys of radio and television news stations show they were more likely to present live coverage of the protests than to cover Lohan’s arrangement on felony theft charges.

The actress pointed out that Egypt was really far away, and Egyptians have thick accents that make them difficult to understand.

“If you’ve got something to say, say it!” Lohan said earlier this week in a prepared statement.

A spokesman for the U.S. State Department refused to comment when asked whether Lohan would be called on to be a point person for negotiations with a new Egyptian government. The spokesman, who asked his name not be used, said Egypt is a majority Muslim country that may not look favorably on Lohan’s DWI.

Other members of the press further commented on what’s perceived as the excessive coverage of protests in Egypt.

“We are seeing an acute shortage of stories about Lindsay Lohan, Sarah Palin and Charlie Sheen,” said Mark Sauer, senior editor of KPBS News. “We need to hear more about those great Americans.”

Others said political stability in the Arab world has little to with drug problems of Hollywood actors. One CNN executive said, "Lohan and Sheen are an awesome freak show that helps ordinary Americans forget about the unemployment rate."

Comments

Greg Duch | February 11, 2011 at 7:26 p.m. ― 3 years, 2 months ago

Who is Lindsay Lohan? I"ve heard the name; but have no idea of her/his? claim to media coverage--is Lindsay a singer? dancer? inventor? Egypt--- I've heard of ---the pyramids, the pharoahs, Cleopatria, Moses, King Tut, Steve Martin,The Great City of Alexandria,and its SCHOLARS from three millenia ago, the Suez Canal, The River Nile, The Red Sea, Nasser, Sadat, the Sinai, Mt.Sinai, wars between Jews and Arabs. The Fertile Crescent of Civilization, etc.PS Most Arab countries today are and have been governed by ONE OF THREE types of regimes. TYPE 1.) MILITARY leaders- Colonel Kaddafy-LIBYA, /General Saddam Hussein-IRAQ;/GENERAL Musharif-(non-Arab) PAKISTAN/ Assad- with military help in SYRIA/ TYPE2--
MONARCHIES: SAUDI ARABIA, KUWAIT (STILL), OMAN, BAHRAIN, MOROCCO, QATAR, JORDAN ---TYPE 3. RADICAL THEOCRACIES-IRAN, IRAN,IRAN There is a fourth type of governance- the Chaosocracies-where there is no central government -LEBANON, GAZA, SOMALIA(NON-ARAB),
SUDAN. In Egypt, they will have to draw upon the best of their 6,000 years of civilization to being their country to a new category: Pluralist Democracy.I wish them SALAAM, SHALOM, PEACE. REMEMBER ALL THREE FAITHS
REVERE MOUNT SINAI, WHICH IS PART OF YOUR HOMELAND! PLEASE ACT IN THE SPIRIT OF SINAI!

Greg Duch | February 13, 2011 at 6:45 a.m. ― 3 years, 2 months ago

IT'S FUN TO CAVORT IN THE FRIVOLITY OF THE SIDESHOWS OF STARS SUCH AS LINDSAY. NEVER UNDERESTIMATE HUMAN HUNGER FOR EYE CANDY AND POPCORN 4 THE MIND.

brixsy | February 13, 2011 at 5:32 p.m. ― 3 years, 2 months ago

That dolt knows nothing about the Middle East. If she's not even responsible enough to take care of herself, she should not try to make policy recommendations.

Tom Fudge, KPBS Staff | February 14, 2011 at 9:58 a.m. ― 3 years, 2 months ago

Time for me to step in here and make one thing clear if there's any confusion. The story above is SATIRE. As far as I know Lindsay Lohan has made no public comments on the political dynamics of the Middle East. She has not engaged in any media criticism, regarding coverage of the Egyptian protests, and she is not under consideration as a diplomatic liaison between the U.S. and Egypt. When you read the story above, thing "The Onion." The website, not the vegetable. In the future I'll try to send a few extra signals to make my intentions more clear. Sorry if there's been any confusion. PS -- Mark Sauer was accurately quoted in my story, but his comments were made in the same spirit as the story itself. It was a joke.

Missionaccomplished | February 14, 2011 at 10:34 a.m. ― 3 years, 2 months ago

"Lock her up and throw away the key!" -- WINONA RYDER

northernmentality | February 15, 2011 at 9:21 a.m. ― 3 years, 2 months ago

This is not The Onion, though. KPBS is an NPR affiliate. The role of this station is to provide objective news reporting and well-informed news analysis, not sophomoric attempts at satire (I imagine that the great satirist Jonathan Swift would agree that satire is a craft unto itself that must be studied and mastered). Sadly, such content is why I prefer to write checks in support of the quality programming at stations such as KQED - which produces the California Report - rather than my local station.

brixsy | February 15, 2011 at 10:06 a.m. ― 3 years, 2 months ago

I admit it sounded a bit absurd, but what's one to expect from Lohan?

I'm going to have to side with northernmentality though, even the Onion is not funny and that's considered paramount in satire.

Greg Duch | February 15, 2011 at 4:06 p.m. ― 3 years, 2 months ago

Based upon the corrected information revealed since my first entry was posted, I hereby retract my statements insofar as they applied to Ms. Lindsay Lohan. My apologies to Ms. Lohan for making comments which were based upon erroneous information. However, I did preface my post with the qualification that I had no familiarity with Ms. Lohan; her identity, her particular talents, her personality, nor her capacity to offer informed commentary on the situation in Egypt. So, I judged her commentary based strictly upon its content, as recorded above. I felt that the comments as published were vapid and without merit; and reacted accordingly, in my comments....

Greg Duch | February 15, 2011 at 10:29 p.m. ― 3 years, 2 months ago

Nuff said about LINDSAY.

crybabysoda | February 16, 2011 at 3:57 a.m. ― 3 years, 2 months ago

wow

moneil | February 16, 2011 at 9:39 a.m. ― 3 years, 2 months ago

Really Northernmentality? So when you read the paragraph "...When informed that Mubarak had stepped down, Lohan said, “Cool.” Told it was the result of a military coup, she said, “Gross!"..." you weren't mildly suspicious that this might have been done as satire poking fun at the mass media's obsession over the petty wrongdoings of Lindsay vs the vastly more important context of current Egyptian politics?

Surely by the time you got to the paragraph that started with "...A spokesman for the U.S. State Department refused to comment when asked whether Lohan would be called on to be a point person for negotiations with a new Egyptian government.." you were chuckling a bit. If not, you and a few others around here need to lighten up!!

Len | February 16, 2011 at 2:04 p.m. ― 3 years, 2 months ago

@Monell
You miss Northernmenality's point: Fudge is a poor satirist and should noit ee wasting KPBS's space with his efforts, we expect more of NPR. For good satire, there is The Onion, The Today Show, Colbert. I used to enjoy most of Fudge's radio programs, but am disappointed in his written work since he went off the air. I have no interest in debating with you the humor quality of his Lohah piece. Northernmentality put my position well.

moneil | February 16, 2011 at 2:42 p.m. ― 3 years, 2 months ago

Len - but you just did debate the quality of the piece with me! And anyway, since when did The Today Show rank as good satire? Hey, I'll give you credit though: that statement alone might just rank as good 'satire'.

Greg Duch | February 16, 2011 at 8:55 p.m. ― 3 years, 2 months ago

"CHACUN Á SON GOUT." - ANON

Tom Fudge, KPBS Staff | February 17, 2011 at 9:53 a.m. ― 3 years, 2 months ago

Wow...! I didn't expect my Lindsay Lohan gag to generate so much discussion. This is great! I'll just say that I can forgive people for thinking I'm not funny. But public radio is a product that can't remain stagnant and satire doesn't have to be stranger to this website, or to NPR.org.

CaliforniaDefender | February 17, 2011 at 11:43 a.m. ― 3 years, 2 months ago

In related news...Tom Fudge, a reporter for KPBS in San Diego, has announced his resignation after 13 years with the station. While concluding a report from Lohan-Con at the Convention Center, Fudge said he had become distraught by the lack of satirical sensitivity in San Diego and was moving to the small island nation of Kiribati. He further explained that he plans to stage a coup and institute a compulsory re-education news outlet on the island called the ''Fudge Report'.

Fudge refused to answer questions from a group of puzzled Hollywood executives at Lohan-Con, but he did begin to beat box the theme song to American Idol. After distracting the executives an androgynous witness said he/she watched Fudge steal a pedicab while shouting "Fudge Away!"

Police are asking for citizens to report any sightings of the pedi-jacker, but not to approach Fudge as he may try to overcharge you for a short ride that you could easily walk instead.

Greg Duch | February 17, 2011 at 4:07 p.m. ― 3 years, 2 months ago

HOW DOES GOOGLE DO IT? "ALL THE NEWS THAT'S FIT TO PRINT??"
"GOOGLE IS FOREVER."
1.Lindsay Lohan Speaks Out On Egypt | KPBS.org
Feb 11, 2011 ... Lindsay Lohan called for freedom in Egypt and asked people to stop talking so much about it.
www.kpbs.org/news/2011/feb/11/lindsay-lohan-speaks-out-egypt/ - Cached
News for Lindsay Lohan KPBS
Lindsay Lohan Speaks Out On Egypt‎ - 5 days ago
“We are seeing an acute shortage of stories about Lindsay Lohan, Sarah Palin and Charlie Sheen,” said Mark Sauer, senior editor of KPBS News. ...KPBS - >>>>1074 related articles<<<<<<<

Greg Duch | February 17, 2011 at 4:20 p.m. ― 3 years, 2 months ago

WHAT MORE CAN i SAY? How 'bout: "Charger's spokesman, Mike Fibiani is quoted as making the following threat: "The Charger's ownership has decided on staying in San Diego forever; even after the "Q' is designated a national historic landmark"-Dear Google: The preceeding quote is totally fictitious.

Greg Duch | February 17, 2011 at 11:50 p.m. ― 3 years, 2 months ago

HOW DOES GOOGLE KNOW ALL& TELL ALL? I GOOGLED LOHAN & KPBS. SHAZAM GOOG TAKES SATIRE QUITE THIS BLOG HÁS LINKED ÜS FOR ETERNITY IN GOOGLES' INFINITE UNSEEN CAChé

Tom Fudge, KPBS Staff | February 18, 2011 at 10 a.m. ― 3 years, 2 months ago

CaliforniaDefender.... Your story is so thorough and accurate I couldn't possibly respond to it.

Len | February 18, 2011 at 10:21 a.m. ― 3 years, 2 months ago

Monell--Of course, I neant further debate it. You didn't respond to my or Northermentality's point: We don't contribute to PBS to support such things as Fudge's column (we'll leave its quality aside). If we want satire, we can see the best on Onion, free. I'll make no ad hominen comments about your tastes in satire or spend more time responding.

moneil | February 18, 2011 at 11:40 a.m. ― 3 years, 2 months ago

CaliforniaDefender - that was awesome! Although I think his report should be called The Fudge Factor! Tom, good luck with your coup on that small island - I personally will miss you AND your brand of satire terribly! I made yet another donation to this station as a result of it!

CaliforniaDefender | February 18, 2011 at 11:56 a.m. ― 3 years, 2 months ago

The Great Fudge mentioned my name! The Great Fudge mentioned my name!

All you lesser posters must now refer to me as your Potentate and Eminence of Eloquence. You can shorten it to PEE (pronounced pea, not pee) but your mouse pointer must never come within 100 pixels of my name.

sitarya | February 18, 2011 at 12:32 p.m. ― 3 years, 2 months ago

Very disappointing that PBS would dip to the standards of TMZ. Satire addresses pressing social issues, i.e. the classic 'Leviathan' - this piece is founded on dumb blond jokes and a fixation with celebrity that is beneath public broadcasting( and somewhat confused, Sarah Palin & Charlie Sheen? , what do they have in common except a prevalence of a attention from pop media? Moreover, I expect PBS to maintain a human perspective in all situations and this might mean refraining from attacking a young woman, who like many of us might have had some drug or alcohol problems.
For the record I am not a blond nor female nor have I had such challenges myself. As a PBS member I look to you for a compassionate and intelligent perspective, neither of which were visible in this blog or its comments ( I find THAT disturbing). Seems like with the momentous events happening in the world Mr.Fudge could put his time to better, smarter, and less offensive use.

sitarya | February 18, 2011 at 1 p.m. ― 3 years, 2 months ago

As an avid fan of humor who can recite Monty Python's Holy Grail by heart, I know a bit about satire. Not sure what bothers me more, this blog or the half-witted comments our populace has chosen to post. Aside from Lenn (my thanks for your intelligent comment), it doesn't seem to bother anyone that dumb blond jokes aimed at a troubled young woman suffering from a recognized disease are flying under the PBS aegis. The world is bursting with viable material atm and this descent into celebrity- bashing is a testament to the sort of depraved shallow mindlessness that public broadcasting is usually so astute at avoiding entirely. This wouldn't bother me a bit if I didn't have the utmost respect for the integrity of PBS.

CaliforniaDefender | February 18, 2011 at 2:12 p.m. ― 3 years, 2 months ago

Sitarya (is that pronounced satire-a?), you should be wary of placing PBS on such a golden pedestal. Worshiping media outlets with your devotion simply makes Ted Turner, Rupert Murdoch, and perhaps Joseph Goebbels' ghost smile. While I enjoy a portion of their investigative reporting, the majority mirrors the mindless cable news spittle that only exists to fill empty space (Right, Tintocalis?). I'm sad to see KPBS inch further and further away from a centrist non-partisan role, but that is the way American media is moving. Who knows, Keith Olbermann is looking for work and might wind up on KPBS soon. But Fudge's satire is harmless and a nice breather from the constant din of political correctness and the "don't you dare smile about it" police you seem to be flashing a badge from.

Greg Duch | February 18, 2011 at 4:01 p.m. ― 3 years, 2 months ago

To think that a totally fictitious piece about a pseudo-star- Lindsay Lohan, would cause such a lively, spirited, enduring discussion speaks volumes about all who have contributed here.Tom: Congrats, on a job well done.You CAN fool ALL of the people some of the time; and inspire rigorous intellectual debate, in so doing. All of which proves my point further: "REALITY IS MERELY A STATE OF MIND. "COGITO ERGO SUM."-GROUCHO MARX

Forgot your password?