Friday, April 13, 2012
Questions and Topics for Discussion
- What is the significance of the red poppy, both politically and to Shireen and Roya?
- Do you think it was right for Roya’s family to keep the secret behind her birth from her? How do you think this secret affected her motivations in life?
- How are Roya and Shireen different? How are they similar?
- What do you think of Jenab Elmi and his teaching?
- Do you think Roya was right to rebel against her father? What do you think of how she and her father’s relationship at the end of the story?
- What of Shireen’s characteristics did Roya admire and why?
- What lessons about religion, friendship and family is the author trying to convey?
- Why did Roya’s father constantly caution his daughter about not discussing matters of the Shah’s secret police (SAVAK) in public?
- Why are religion and politics so intertwined? Is this good or bad, in your opinion?
- What do you think becomes of Shireen?