skip to main content









Donation Heart Ribbon

Have You Filed Yet? We Have Tax Tips From The IRS

Evening Edition

Raphael Tulino, a spokesman for the IRS, talks about tips for filing your taxes.

Aired 3/22/12 on KPBS Midday Edition.


Raphael Tulino, IRS spokesperson


Taxes are due April 17, and an IRS spokesman shared some tips for filing.

He said if you find out you owe money, but don't have enough to pay, you can use a payment plan.

"File the return and do pay something," he said. "Let the IRS know you're in a position where you can't fully pay what you owe, and then we can enter into an installment payment plan."

But there are fees involved for payment plans, he said.

For those who are unemployed but owe taxes, he said the IRS could "waive a little bit" of what they owe. It is important to remember, he said, that unemployment payments are taxable.

Tulino added there are "dozens and dozens of special laws" for military personnel and their families, and reminded recent college graduates that student loan interest can be deducted.

If you earn $57,000 or less, you can use the IRS' free tax filing service, he said. There are also volunteers available to help those earning less than $50,000, and they can be found at

To avoid scam artists, Tulino said to remember the IRS will never initiate contact via email.

"If it seems like it's too good to be true, online or not, it probably is," he said.

KPBS Midday Edition intern Agnes Radomski contributed to this segment

To view PDF documents, Download Acrobat Reader.


Avatar for user 'irene'

irene | March 22, 2012 at 1:04 p.m. ― 4 years, 11 months ago

My relative, a CPA in the midwest, tells me that the IRS allows $100 per bag for the clothing that I donate to DAV and Women's Resource Center. Is that true? How does on calculate books and cds donated to the library?

( | suggest removal )