Donations To Help Undocumented Migrants In San Diego Pour In

People carry in donations to the Border Angels office near downtown San Diego to be given to undocumented migrant families from Central America, July 7, 2014.

Aired 7/7/14 on KPBS News.

Migrants from central America have been transported by US Customs and Border Patrol from Texas to San Diego.

The recent surge of undocumented Central American migrants in the San Diego region has prompted intense protests, but also an outpouring of donations.

"We have received more than 10 tons of food, clothing, supplies," said Enrique Morones, executive director of immigrant rights group Border Angels.

Morones is leading an effort to collect supplies to give to the hundreds of migrants, who entered the U.S. illegally, during their stay at federal facilities and upon their release.

"We want to have the Border Angel people and our friends go by there with teddy bears, a little backpack, with some supplies and things for the children and for the mom," Morones said, "so that they realize that here in San Diego they’re loved."

Morones said the protest last week in Murrieta captivated the world and actually helped his humanitarian efforts. Since then, he said hundreds of people have stopped by his downtown office with carloads of donations.

Ruthie Portillo and her sister collected a full truckload of food, clothes and diapers from family and friends in Chino, Calif., and drove two hours to San Diego.

"I have family that have immigrated from other countries, specifically Central America," Portillo said. "I think we felt a connection and that we had to help."

Morones said he’s working with federal officials to get the supplies to the migrant families. He said toys, children’s clothing and diapers are still needed.

Meanwhile, protesters in Murrieta are continuing their efforts to block migrants from entering the city’s Border Patrol station. The small city, located an hour north of San Diego, has been in the spotlight since last Tuesday when protesters turned away three busloads of migrants. The protesters say their efforts are giving other cities the courage to stand up and say no.

Comments

Fil | July 7, 2014 at 7:45 p.m. ― 3 months, 2 weeks ago

"...then He will say to their people: 'come all of you blessed by my Father because I was hungry and you did feed me, I was nude and you did give me cloth, I was a strange and you did received me... when you have done this to one of those little ones you have done it to me...' "

Peking_Duck_SD | July 7, 2014 at 10:42 p.m. ― 3 months, 2 weeks ago

"......And then those of the Tea Party Clan said to HIM: 'send the illegals to the whitehouse and impeach Obama'

These are genuine quotes from people of the Murrieta Mob that I heard on TV and paused to make sure I got them word for word and also quotes that have appeared in the LA Times:

"Go back to Mexico! YEAH!! Get Outta Here!! ILLEGAL! ILLEGAL! ILLEGAL! ILLEGAL! ILLEGAL!"
--> Shouted several times as the bus full of refugees from Central American countries and not Mexico

"If Obama likes 'em so much, let 'em stay at the whitehouse!!"
--> Despite the fact it's a Bush-era law that requires minors from Central America not be deported without a due process hearing

"I fear more of the Muslims and Chinese"(said while chanting in protest to the Central American Children). "He's (Obama) anti-American, anti-Christian and anti-White".

"GO BACK TO CHINA!! GO EAT SUSHI!!"
Said by a Murrieta Mob protester to an Asian-American journalist from Palm Springs who was covering the story.

There is even a Murrieta Mob supporter on this site who has called Obama the n-word.

It's hard to take these people seriously when they claim they are Christian and they aren't racist and they are simply angry because the immigrants did something "illegal".

progressivebuthey | July 8, 2014 at 8:49 a.m. ― 3 months, 2 weeks ago

when border angels showed the stash of crap they are getting, really? a carton of cup of noodles is going to sustain this problem. each plane ride to san diego cost american taxpayers $70,000. the prez wants 3.7 billion to handle the current crisis (feeding, sheltering and hiring more lawyers and judges). each illegal waiting for deportation cost american taxpayers $150 per day to house and feed them.

the catholic church is primary responsible. BIRTH CONTROL is the key here. these people need to stop having babies in these violent, poor countries.

JeanMarc | July 8, 2014 at 8:55 a.m. ― 3 months, 2 weeks ago

Why are we giving them anything? My tax dollars are already paying for this against my will. If I had it my way, they would get nothing. No food, no water, no free lodging or medical care. I don't think they would want to stay here very long. They would just walk back to mexico.

CaliforniaDefender | July 8, 2014 at 9:52 a.m. ― 3 months, 2 weeks ago

All government expenses should be billed to the so-called Border Angels.

More like Border Devils for causing the suffering of thousands of children.

Why? Thousands more will now be encouraged to make the dangerous trip north with many being forced into sex slavery or killed along the way.

The suffering and blood of those children is on the hands of the Border Devils.

JeanMarc | July 8, 2014 at 10:08 a.m. ― 3 months, 2 weeks ago

I agree CD. The more we offer, the more it encourages them to keep coming. It is like giving money to a bum - it does not help them, it hurts them.