Cancer Series: A Personal Story And San Diego Research That’s Making A Difference

Above: Peggy Pico, KPBS

Aired 11/21/11 on KPBS Midday Edition.

GUESTS

David Cheresh, Ph.D, Director of Translational Research at UC-San Diego Moores Cancer Research Center

Peggy Pico, KPBS Science and Technology reporter

Transcript

KPBS Science and Technology reporter Peggy Pico is the type of person who usually gets enthusiastically involved in the stories she covers. But this time, Peggy got more involved than she ever expected. Several months ago, Peggy was diagnosed and has been undergoing treatment for breast cancer. Today we kick off a special series in which Peggy will not only share her professional expertise but allow us to experience her personal cancer journey.

In this ongoing series Peggy will guide us through innovations in cancer treatment and survival rates, the psychology of cancer, screening for cancer and what's being done locally in cancer research and is it making a difference?

KPBS Cancer Series

Part 1: A personal story and San Diego research making a difference

Part 2: Innovations in treatments

Part 3: Emotional Help and a new "normal"

Part 4: Screening

Aired 2/6/12 on KPBS Midday Edition.

A compilation of key information from KPBS' four-part series on cancer which aired through December 2011.

Video

Cancer Series: A Personal Story

Above: Cancer Series: A personal story and San Diego research making a difference.

Evening Edition Your browser does not support this object.

Comments

Patty Lane, KPBS Staff | January 10, 2012 at 1:28 p.m. ― 2 years, 11 months ago

Enjoyed your story today. I was diagnosed last year from a mammogram.
Some very similar things in my case as yours, but like you said on the
radio today, we are all different. Nov 19 was my 1 year anniversary of
my
last radiation treatment. i finished chemo a year ago Sept. Your hair
will grow back and you will feel good again.
Best wishes to you,
Joyce

Patty Lane, KPBS Staff | January 10, 2012 at 1:36 p.m. ― 2 years, 11 months ago

11/21 via website

Hi Peggy,
I heard you on the radio show today, and I had no idea you were going through a cancer episode. I'm glad you are feeling better, and I admire you for telling your story. I don't imagine you ever anticipated a day when, as a journalist, you would be the subject of your own reporting... you do it well. I think you have enough good attitude to last a lifetime ....
best wishes,
Tom

Patty Lane, KPBS Staff | January 10, 2012 at 1:37 p.m. ― 2 years, 11 months ago

from Barbara via email
Hi Peggy,

I'm "Barbara from Encinitas", I talked to you this morning on the show. To refresh your memory just in case, I'm a 15 year breast cancer survivor with 3 rather large lumps and had both a mammo and ultrasound. Both tests were negative but on results it had what sounded like a disclaimer at the bottom that said just because the test results were negative that doesn't mean I don't have cancer and to see about possibly getting a MRI and I asked your opinions. What I didn't think you'd be able to answer on air or I had time to ask is if you know where I can get a MRI free or for a nominal charge?

I'm 62, lost 2/3 of my spousal support, used up all savings, unemployed, no health insurance, going through bankruptcy and foreclosure and needless to say no discretionary funds. I fall through the cracks with Medical. I volunteer for the American Cancer Society and their resources said just to call around to the places that do MRI's and ask. It's a daunting task.

Do you know of any resources?

Yes, you're right to be open to the support you've received. We all need support in our journey to recovery. I wish you the best.

Thanks for your time.

Barbara

Patty Lane, KPBS Staff | January 10, 2012 at 1:38 p.m. ― 2 years, 11 months ago

posted via email from Peggy:

Hi Barbara, thank you for listening and calling in today. I'm not aware of any particular low cost MRI programs in San Diego. But I'd suggest starting at the place that did your mammogram and ultrasound, ask to speak with someone who handles financial assistance. You'll need a doctor's referral for the MRI. Also, here are 3 web links that offer financial assistance and information for breast cancer patients/ survivors. I hope this helps and best wishes to you too, Peggy

BREAST CANCER SOLUTIONS: Specific to San Diego County

UCSD MOORE’S CANCER CENTER

Medi-Cal for Breast & Cervical Cancer Treatment
The Dept. of Health & Human Services authorizes immediate Medi-Cal benefits to patients with active cases of breast and cervical cancer who meet the financial and residential criteria. Please contact Moores Cancer Center Patient Service Representative, Leticia Marquez, (858) 822-6177, for assistance.

KOMEN Financial Resources For People Living with Breast Cancer

There are many financial resources to help people with breast cancer.

The first place you can turn to for advice is a trusted health careprovider. Physicians, nurses and social workers can all provide information and advice about financial matters. Hospital discharge planners, patient relation offices, patient service offices, social workers and patient navigators at hospitals or managed care organizations may be helpful too. For questions about specific insurance policies, state insurance agencies and insurance companies can be helpful.

Many state and national organizations provide information about financial assistance and insurance. Some of these are listed below along with resources to help with travel, lodging and medical items, including prescription drugs.

Peggy Pico