Justin Bieber And His Faith In God Discussed At Point Loma Nazarene

Evening Edition

Above: Cathleen Falsani, the author of "Belieber! Fame, Faith, and the Heart of Justin Bieber," talks to KPBS about her book on Justin Bieber and his faith in God.

Aired 2/25/13 on KPBS Midday Edition.

GUESTS

Cathleen Falsani, Author, "Belieber! Fame, Faith, and the Heart of Justin Bieber"

Transcript

Author Cathleen Falsani.

Journalist, author and blogger Cathleen Falsani has written a book about pop star Justin Bieber and his faith in God. She'll talk about her book, "Belieber! Fame, Faith, and the Heart of Justin Bieber" tonight at the Point Loma Nazarene Writers Symposium By the Sea.

Justin Bieber is a social media phenomenon. The 18-year-old pop music sensation was discovered on YouTube and has 34.8 million followers on Twitter. His fans, who call themselves "Beliebers," span the globe.

Falsani, who just accepted a position to be the religion and faith colunmist for the Orange County Register, told KPBS she decided to write about Bieber because of the passion and enthusiasm he inspires.

"I tend to take a look and go, is there something more going on here, and is there something spiritual underneath?" she said. "And that's certainly what I found with Justin."

Bieber talks a lot about his faith, Falsani said.

"It's so much a part of his story and what he's trying to do in the world," she said. "His lyrics are still so sort of saccharine and 'baby, baby, baby,' but the story that he tells beyond that, that's what I really think the fans engage with."

Falsani writes that she admires Bieber. When Bieber was outed in the tabloids for smoking pot at a party earlier this year, she wrote an open letter to him on CNN.

"Please consider this a well-being check from someone who genuinely cares about you: Me," she wrote.

Claire Trageser contributed to this report.

Comments

dialyn | February 25, 2013 at 11:12 a.m. ― 1 year, 8 months ago

Is it rude of me to say that I don't care about Bieber's religious preference, or the woman who is one of many making money off his fame?

CaliforniaDefender | February 25, 2013 at 12:18 p.m. ― 1 year, 8 months ago

Vatican drama, sex scandals, child abuse, money laundering, and now Beiber idolization.

Is this Christianity or Fox's new prime time line-up?

Crolley40 | February 26, 2013 at 6:19 a.m. ― 1 year, 8 months ago

It maybe hard for you to understand but rehearsal upon Thessalonians was reminiscencing of eating $1 chicken sandwich at Jack in the box, one near airport maybe, the other at Pearl st. maybe around S. entrance to la jolla near la jolla blvd. and i thought of eleborating this manner little bit more but..unless I want to be ridiculed as though I'm hallucinating..or day dreaming at this moment.. It's one before midnight here & time to sleep anyway.. Vivid reminder of eating taco at ocean b, and doing all kinds of..selling stuff, walking on beach.. eating at that chicken house next to Denny's r at grand ave. by the way i did slept a few at bananna bungalow both O.B and M.B (or P.B i should say) and caught some off O.B pier. I recommand you to go rock fishing la jolla (rock croppings that aren't off limit due to marine sanctuary designation) & up N. county rather than O.B pier unless utilizing boat. I walked more miles while in S.D than I did the rest of my lives.. I had chronic feet pains because of it. From mission valley tr ctr to fashion valley, hazard sta. and beyond to qualcomn stadium. but i miss that calvary ch. thnks to every members there..(though they couldn't materialistically be much aid to me- while I was H. - anything menetary is trivial in value compared to the spiritual one. yes I walked from old town to shelter Island and beyond at night half way slept the rest half night, and walked the rest half after sunrise.. first along midway Dr. to Denny's there & way back to the other one at point loma. regret that i can't have printed version of S.D tribune & la times now.. fifty cents were well spent considering $$ I wasted somewhere else.. a little spooky or.. but trolley trip to H street chula vista was worth crashing a night once a while into a barely affordable motel 6. That's about it.. And that memoir or nostalgia i should say since it's still subjective depiction of mine (regardless of your personal empathy to my such experiences- i beg not 'sympathy' though, 'compassion' is fair!) is floating 'alive' but I know it's not there (for you to experience and for me once i get there now..) and only His Spirit has the clue I guess?

Peking_Duck_SD | February 26, 2013 at 7:18 p.m. ― 1 year, 8 months ago

I think this woman is really grasping.

He's only 18, the religion (or lack thereof) he will ultimately settle into will be shaped by his upcoming experiences.

Right now his religious faith is mot likely just a branch of his parent's faith.

Let him experience life and come to is own conclusions instead of branding him deeply religious at 18!!

Peking_Duck_SD | February 26, 2013 at 7:23 p.m. ― 1 year, 8 months ago

Perhaps the reason for the overreach in declaring Bieber a religious icon is because this woman and this religious institution see the numbers - young people are running from religion as fast as they can as more and more they see the hypocrisy and phoniness emanating from religion.

Thy need popular young idols to keep the cults recruiting and will cling onto any young popular icon like a barnacle if they even remotely seem religious.

Tomasz | February 27, 2013 at 7:17 a.m. ― 1 year, 8 months ago

Why KPBS, Why?? how dare you give space to this?
Shame shame, this is my sanctuary and YOU are starting to destroy it with this genre of stories. Thanks to the Media we are BLIND !!!!
Stultus Agricolas!

Nazarenes, now we know what makes you tick (Shame).

Missionaccomplished | February 27, 2013 at 11:08 a.m. ― 1 year, 8 months ago

Isn't this where they invited The Hedgehog a couple of months ago?

Missionaccomplished | February 27, 2013 at 11:09 a.m. ― 1 year, 8 months ago

CAOff, you see the propaganda that is Faux? Are you turning over a new political leaf!!! Maybe my prayers have been answered!!!

Missionaccomplished | February 27, 2013 at 11:12 a.m. ― 1 year, 8 months ago

TOMAZZ, maybe you are new here? They've had worse stuff on Culture Lust and Cinema Junkie in the past.

Tomasz | February 27, 2013 at 12:10 p.m. ― 1 year, 8 months ago

@ Missionaccomplish;
OMG!! I feel like I was just told The Easter Bunny is not real!, thanks for the heads up, I really hope this changes...

CaliforniaDefender | February 27, 2013 at 2:55 p.m. ― 1 year, 8 months ago

Mission,

You must have me confused with someone else.

I have always been opposed to Fox, CNN, and the other network "news" stations. They are profit-political (same thing) motivated and feed their audience propaganda via a talk show atmosphere with bright colors, sound effects, and slick graphics.