Lincoln High: Then And Now
This report and others in this series were made possible by The Wallace Foundation, The Principal Story project, and the Knowledge Center. 1950's: Opening its doors to high school students in the 1950's, Lincoln High School originally served a predominately white neighborhood.
1950's: Built shortly after the end of World War II, the original campus had a basement that could serve as a fall-out shelter.
1960's: At the center of San Diego's Civil Rights Movement, Lincoln High School had a student population that was 80 percent African-American by 1969.
1968: Tensions rose in the late 60's, and the school closed after being vandalized and students walked out for 10 days.
1969: Dr. Ernest Hartzog, the first African-American high school principal in San Diego County, took leadership of Lincoln High after an unprecedented student walkout.
1970's: In the 70's, the school became the birthplace of several nationally recognized all-star athletes, including football legend Marcus Allen, who was inducted into the Pro-Football Hall of Fame the same year the original Lincoln High School campus was demolished in 2003.
2003: The Imperial Avenue campus was torn down in 2003, and replaced with modern structures that rival some small college campuses. The new Lincoln High School cost the district $129 million.
Opening its doors again in 2007, students and faculty feel the improved campus offer students hope and equality in education.