KPBS Special Coverage: Trouble At San Onofre
Southern California Edison has announced it will retire the San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station, which has been offline since a small radiation leak in January 2012 led to the discovery of excessive wear on hundreds of steam generator tubes that carry radioactive water. Here's your manual to how it all began and what's the latest developments.
San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station takes its Unit 3 reactor offline after an equipment problem sent a small, non-hazardous amount of radioactive gas into an auxiliary building and possibly into the atmosphere, authorities said.
San Onofre operator, Southern California Edison says it found more tube wear in Unit 2, similar though less serious than in Unit 3. As the chairman of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission says the plant will not restart until the root cause is discovered, California’s energy agencies gear up efforts to get substitute power from decommissioned power plants.
A leak may have closed San Onofre, but questions linger. Who will pay for shutdown costs? What does the plant's troubles say about the safety of nuclear power?
Attempts To Restart
A new report introduced to a U.S. Senate committee contends the steam generators at San Onofre are in much worse shape than publicly acknowledged, finding 400 times as many damaged steam generator tubes as in a typical nuclear reactor with new steam generators.
The Nuclear Regulatory Commission rejected a petition from Friends of the Earth asking for a license amendment for San Onore before considering a plan to restart the troubled plant. The amendment would have required public hearings.
Almost one year since the San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station was abruptly shut down due to a unexpected equipment problems, the discussion continues over Southern California Edison's proposal to partially restart the plant.
Southern California Edison announces it is retiring the remaining reactors at the San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station. Decommissioning the plant will take 40 years and cost 1,100 jobs.
Replacing San Onofre Power
The Carlsbad City Council has signed off on an agreement for a new gas-powered “peaker” plant.
State public utilities officials have unanimously approved a previously rejected natural gas power plant in Otay Mesa.
California regulators Thursday approved a plan for two utilities to develop replacement power to help fill the void left by the closure of the San Onofre nuclear power plant.
The talks could help resolve who pays for the shuttering of the San Onofre nuclear power plant.