Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations
International

Limits On Travel To US Issued After Supreme Court Ruling

The Trump administration is expected to outline how it will implement its modified travel ban on people from six majority-Muslim nations.
Ted S. Warren AP
The Trump administration is expected to outline how it will implement its modified travel ban on people from six majority-Muslim nations.

Extended family members such as grandparents and cousins not 'close' family under the new visa criteria

Limits On Travel To US Issued After Supreme Court Ruling
Limits On Travel To US Issued After Supreme Court Ruling GUEST: David Murphy, executive director, International Rescue Committee in San Diego

REFUGEE RESETTLEMENT AGENCIES IN SAN DIEGO EXAMINE NEW TRAVEL BAN GUIDELINES. THIS IS K PBS MIDDAY ADDITION. WHEN THE PRESIDENT ORDER GOES INTO EFFECT TONIGHT, ONLY SOME REFUGEES WILL MEET THE CRITERIA FOR ENTRY INTO THE COUNTRY. MANY QUESTIONS REMAIN. A NEW GOVERNMENT INCENTIVE PROGRAM IS AIMED AT STEMMING THE TIDE OF NEW DIABETES CASES. WE WILL HEAR ABOUT A TRIAL PROGRAM UNDERWAY IN SAN DIEGO. MORE SPECULATION EMERGENCE ABOUT THE MAYOR AND A POSSIBLE RUN FOR GOVERNOR. HERO AWARD TALKING ABOUT AFFORDABLE HOUSING BUILT IN SAN DIEGO. INMATES AT DONOVAN STATE RESIN ARE IN A NEW DOCUMENTARY WRITING THE STORIES OF THEIR LIVES. K PBS MIDDAY ADDITION IS NEXT. FIRST, THE NEWS. LIGHT FROM NPR NEWS IN WASHINGTON, PRESIDENT TRUMP SUBORDINATES FIND THEMSELVES DEFENDING THEIR BOSS FOR THEIR TWEETS. SUGGESTING HE HAD A BAD FACELIFT. AT TODAY'S BRIEFING HUCKABEE SANDERS WAS PEPPERED WITH QUESTIONS ABOUT WHETHER PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP WENT TOO FAR. SANDERS SAYS HE HAD EVERY RIGHT. WHAT ABOUT THE CONSTANT ATTACKS HE RECEIVES, I AM A WOMAN AND I'VE BEEN ATTACKED BY THE SHOW MULTIPLE TIMES. BUT I DON'T CRY FOUL BECAUSE OF IT. I THINK YOU WANT TO CREATE THIS FALSE NARRATIVE, ONE HAND IS LET'S TREAT EVERYONE EQUALLY ON THE OTHER HAND THEY ATTACK AN ATTACK AND HE RESPONDS AND THAT'S WRONG. BUT THE HOUSE LEADER FOR THE DEMOCRATS SAYS TRUMP WAS OUT OF LINE. IT SADDENS ME BECAUSE IT WAS BENEATH THE DIGNITY OF THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES. IS TWEETS ALSO SPARKED CONDEMNATION FROM HIS OWN PARTY. Reporter: A CLOSE ADVISOR TO POPE FRANCIS HAS BEEN CHARGED BY AUSTRALIAN AUTHORITIES OF SEX CRIMES. THIS COULD BRING THE DECADES LONG SCANDAL STRAIGHT TO THE HEART OF THE VATICAN. THE CARDINAL IS KNOWN FOR HIS OUTSPOKENNESS. WHEN HE APPEARED BEFORE REPORTERS HE STRUCK A DEFIANT TONE. HE PROCLAIMED HIS INNOCENCE AND COMPLAINED ABOUT LEAKS AND CLAIMED HE IS A VICTIM OF CHARACTER ASSASSINATION. HE SAID HE WELCOME THE CHANCE TO PROVE HIS INNOCENCE IN COURT. THE CARDINAL SAID HE HAD INFORMED THE POPE GRANTED HIM A LEAVE OF ABSENCE SO HE CAN DEFEND HIMSELF. POPE FRANCIS CREATED THE POSITION SHORTLY AFTER HE BECAME PONTIFF. HE IS ALSO A MEMBER OF THE NINE-MEMBER COUNCIL OF CARDINALS. THAT MAKES HIM THE HIGHEST-RANKING VATICAN OFFICIAL EVER TO BE ACCUSED OF CLERICAL SEX ABUSE. SOME PEOPLE -- JUST HAD, OF THE JULY 4 HOLIDAY, TO SISTER WILD FIRES ARE BURNING HOT AND EASTERN WASHINGTON STATE. ONE BLAZE NEAR QUINCY HAS REACHED 47,500 ACRES, THE SPARTAN FIRE NEAR LAKE SELECT IS NEAR 9000 ACRES, AND A KING HAS LATEST. Reporter: A LEVEL II INCIDENT TEAM IS TAKING COMMAND. THE OFFICIALS WORRY THE FIRES CAN GROW IF BREEZY AND DRY CONDITIONS CONTINUE. SEVERAL ROADS AND NEIGHBORHOODS HAVE BEEN EVACUATED SO FAR AND WARNED TO GET READY TO LEAVE. THERE ARE STEEP MOUNTAIN CLIFFS AND NARROW CANYONS. BOTH FIRES ARE BURNING CRASH -- GRASS AND BRUSH. IT BURNS READILY LIKE KINDLING ON THE LAND. THE TAO IS DOWN HUNDRED AND 34 POINTS. THE FAST-MOVING CHRISTIAN EAGLES FIRE ON CAMP PENDLETON IS 20% CONTAINED. AFTER BURNING MORE THAN 700 ACRES, MORE THAN 350 FIREFIGHTERS, TO AIRTANKERS AND TO WATER HELICOPTERS ARE BATTLING THE FIRE. OFFICIALS SAY THE CAUSE IS UNKNOWN. CITY ATTORNEY MARA ELLIOTT ISSUED A STATEMENT ON THE UNAUTHORIZED RELEASE OF A CONFIDENTIAL CITY MEMORANDUM TO PROPONENTS OF THE BALLOT INITIATIVE. SHE SAYS SHE DID NOT BELIEVE IT WAS A LEAK BUT RATHER A COVERT ACT TO UNDERMINE THE CITY. ELLIOTT IS CALLING FOR THOSE RESPONSIBLE TO STEP FORWARD AND RESIGN THEIR POSITIONS. A JUDGE HAS DECIDED THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT LAWSUIT AGAINST QUALCOMM CAN MOVE FORWARD. DAVID WAGNER SAYS THE SAN DIEGO COMPANY LOST ITS BID TO HAVE THE CASE DISMISSED. EARLIER THIS YEAR THEY BROUGHT AN ANTI-TRUST CASE AGAINST QUALCOMM. THEY CHARGE QUALCOMM WITH USING ANTI-COMPETITIVE TACTICS TO MAINTAIN A MONOPOLY ON CHIPS THAT POWER CELL PHONES AND OTHER DEVICES. QUALCOMM MOVED TO HAVE THE CASE THROWN OUT ARGUING IT CONTAINED NO FACTUAL ALLEGATIONS. EARLIER THIS WEEK A U.S. DISTRICT JUDGE DENIED QUALCOMM'S MOTION. GIVING U.S. REGULATORS A CHANCE TO PROVE THEIR CASE. IN A STATEMENT, THEIR GENERAL COUNSEL SAID THE COMPANY CONTINUES TO BELIEVE THE FTC CANES -- CLAIMS ARE WITHOUT MERIT. I AM DEALT -- DEVON WALSH FOR KPBS NEWS IN SAN DIEGO. THE NEW GUIDELINES FOR THE PRESIDENTS TRAVEL BAN OPEN UP QUESTIONS FOR RESETTLEMENT AGENCIES AND MORE SPECULATION ABOUT MAYOR FAULKNER AND A POSSIBLE RUN FOR GOVERNOR. THIS IS KPBS MIDDAY EDITION.. IT'S THURSDAY IT'S THURSDAY, JUNE 29. THE TOP STORY ON MIDDAY ADDITION, THE GUIDELINES ISSUED BY THE U.S. STATE DEPARTMENT TODAY ON WHO IS AND WHO ISN'T AFFECTED BY THE RESTORED TRAVEL BAN STILL LEAVE QUESTIONS. ESPECIALLY ABOUT THE STATUS OF REFUGEES. IT IS SET TO GO ON EFFECT TONIGHT, PUTTING A HOLD ON REFUGEES ENTERING THE COUNTRY FOR 120 DAYS. EXCEPTIONS ARE BEING MADE FOR REFUGEES WHO HAVE CERTAIN FAMILY TIES AND THE U.S. OR WHO HAVE ALREADY BEEN CLEARED FOR ENTRY BY RESETTLEMENT AGENCIES. THE SAN DIEGO REGION IS ONE OF THE RESETTLEMENT HUBS FOR REFUGEES IN THE U.S. JOINING ME AS DAVID MURPHY, EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF THE INTERNATIONAL RESCUE COMMITTEE IN SAN DIEGO. WELCOME TO THE PROGRAM. THANK YOU FOR HAVING ME. WHAT DO THE NEW GUIDELINES SAY ABOUT HOW THE TRAVEL BAN AFFECTS REFUGEES. ACTUALLY, WE ARE NOT CLEAR WHAT THE EXACT MEANING IS GOING TO BE AND HOW THE U.S. GOVERNMENT IS GOING TO INTERPRET A BONA FIDE RELATIONSHIP WITH AN IMMEDIATE FAMILY MEMBER FOR REFUGEE COMING TO THE UNITED STATES. AS YOU KNOW, SAN DIEGO COUNTY RECEIVES A LARGE NUMBER OF REFUGEES FROM IRAQ, AFGHANISTAN, CONGO, SYRIAN AND SOMALIA. OF WHICH SYRIA AND SOMALIA ARE COUNTRIES THAT ARE POTENTIALLY BANNED FROM COMING WITH THIS NEW ORDER. SO, WITH THE NEW ARRIVALS THAT ARE SCHEDULED TO COME TODAY, TOMORROW AND NEXT WEEK, WE ANTICIPATE IN THE SHORT TERM THEY WILL STILL COME BUT AFTER NEXT WEEK WE DO NOT KNOW IF REFUGEES WILL BE ALLOWED TO ARRIVE. BUT GUIDELINES, ARE YOU SAYING THEY DO NOT MAKE IT CLEAR IF AGENCIES SUCH AS YOURS CONSTITUTE A BONA FIDE RELATIONSHIP? CORRECT, IT IS UNCLEAR. THEY HAVE SAID A BONA FIDE RELATIONSHIP IS WITH AN IMMEDIATE FAMILY MEMBER, UNIVERSITY, OR AN EMPLOYER, THERE IS NOT CLARITY YET AS FAR AS IF THAT INCLUDES A RESETTLEMENT AGENCY. ABOUT 70% OF THE REFUGEES THAT COME TO SAN DIEGO OUR FAMILY TIES. MEANING THEY HAVE A BONA FIDE EXISTING FAMILY RELATIONSHIP WITH SOMEONE IN THE COUNTY. THAT IS WHY SO MANY REFUGEES COME TO SAN DIEGO. WE DON'T KNOW WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN TO IRAQIS AND AFGHANISTAN AFGHANS IF THEY ARE STILL GOING TO BE ALLOWED TO COME. THE SAME WITH SOMALIS AND SYRIANS, WHO MAY NOT HAVE A FAMILY RELATIONSHIP. IT IS ALL VERY UNCLEAR AT THIS TIME. THE ADMINISTRATION HAS SAID THE FOUR-MONTH HALT ON REFUGEES ENTERING THIS COUNTRY IS TO EVALUATE AND TIGHTEN UP BETTING MEASURES USED TO SCREEN REFUGEES. ARE YOU AWARE OF ANY NEW PROCEDURES THAT ARE BEING CONSIDERED? I AM AWARE THE U.S. GOVERNMENT, DIFFERENT REGIMENTS -- BRANCHES ARE TAKING A LOOK AT THE PROCESSES IN PLACE BUT CURRENTLY TODAY, THE U.S. HAS THE STRONGEST SAFETY AND SECURITY VETTING PROCESS FOR REFUGEES COMING TO THE UNITED STATES BAR NUNN. TO COME TO THE UNITED STATES THROUGH THE REFUGEE PROGRAM YOU ARE THE MOST THOROUGHLY SECURITY VETTED INDIVIDUAL TO COME TO THE UNITED STATES. THE U.S. BRINGS IN MILLIONS OF OTHER PEOPLE EVERY YEAR THROUGH WORK VISAS, STUDENT VISAS, THERE IS NO SECURITY VETTING AND PLACE. SO I THINK IT IS A LITTLE MISGUIDED TO ONLY FOCUS ON THE REFUGEE PROGRAM, NOT LOOK AT THE BROADER CONTEXT AND BROADER AREAS OF WHERE WE ARE BRINGING PEOPLE IN FROM. RECENT TRIBUNE STORY SAYS EVEN DURING THE MONTHS THAT THE TRAVEL BAN WAS BEING HELD UP IN COURT, REFUGEE ARRIVALS HERE WERE DOWN NEARLY 40% FROM LAST YEAR. IS THAT THE EXPERIENCE OF YOUR AGENCY? YES. WE ARE HAVING VERY LOW ARRIVALS TODAY. NORMALLY IN THE SUMMER MONTHS WE WOULD HAVE VERY HIGH ARRIVALS HERE IN SAN DIEGO COUNTY, NOT JUST IRC BUT THE OTHER THREE RESETTLEMENT AGENCIES. WE ARE NOT SEEING ARRIVALS COMING RIGHT NOW, THIS IS BECAUSE THE U.S. GOVERNMENT HAS SLOWED DOWN THE PIPELINE OF REFUGEES COMING TO THE UNITED STATES AS A WHOLE. YOU ALSO HAVE TO REMEMBER THE U.S. GOVERNMENT PERSONALLY PICS INDIVIDUALS WITH THE PROGRAM. IT IS NOT UP TO THE INDIVIDUAL REFUGEE TO SAY I WANT TO GO TO THE UNITED STATES OR FOR RESETTLEMENT AGENCY TO PICK REFUGEES TO COME HERE. IT IS THE U.S. GOVERNMENT THAT PICKS REFUGEES TO COME TO THE UNITED STATES. WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT WHAT EFFECT HALT ON REFUGEE ARRIVALS HAS ON THE PEOPLE WAITING TO COME TO AMERICA. IT ME -- IT LEAVES THEM IN LIMBO. THESE ARE PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN THROUGH VERY HORRIFIC, EXPERIENCES. NO ONE WANTS TO BE A REFUGEE, YOU ARE FORCED TO BE A REFUGEE. YOU ARE FORCED TO CLEAR HOME, ABANDON YOUR LIFE, YOUR COUNTRY, LIVE IN A REFUGEE CAMP. YOU NOW HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO COME AND START A NEW LIFE AND A NEW COUNTRY, MOST REFUGEES THAT HAVE GONE THROUGH THIS VETTING PROCESS, TAKING 2-3 YEARS TO GET TO THE POINT WHEN YOU'RE READY TO TRAVEL. THEY HAVE TO SELL THEIR REMAINING POSSESSIONS, GET READY TO TRAVEL. NOW INSTEAD OF GETTING ON THE PLANE TO GET TO THE UNITED STATES, THEY HAVE TO WAIT IN LIMBO. FAMILIES ARE ALSO TORN APART, FAMILIES LIVING IN THE STATES AND FAMILY LIVING IN REFUGEE CAMPS. THIS IS JUST A BAD POLICY, THE WAY IT IS BEING IMPLEMENTED AND THE FACT THAT WE HAVE TO TALK ABOUT IT, ON TOP OF THE NEWSHOUR, MEANS IT IS BEING IMPLEMENTED IN A POOR WAY. QUICKLY, DO YOU EXPECT LAWSUITS BECAUSE OF THE FACT THAT THESE GUIDELINES SEEM TO BE UNCLEAR TO YOU AND TOO MANY OTHERS? YES, I IMAGINE ACLU, THE ANTI-DEFAMATION LEAGUE AND OTHER ORGANIZATIONS, IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS, WILL BE FILING LAWSUITS. I HAVE BEEN JOINED BY DAVID MURPHY, EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF THE INTERNATIONAL RESCUE COMMITTEE IN SAN DIEGO. THANK YOU. THANK YOU FOR HAVING ME.

The Trump administration is putting new criteria in place Thursday for visa applicants from six mostly Muslim nations and all refugees, requiring a close family or business tie to the United States. The move comes after the Supreme Court partially restored President Donald Trump's executive order that was widely criticized as a ban on Muslims.

Visas that have already been approved will not be revoked. That should help avoid the kind of chaos at airports around the world that surrounded the initial travel ban, as travelers with previously approved visas were kept off flights or barred entry on arrival in the United States. Also, while the initial order took effect immediately, adding to the confusion, this one was delayed more than 72 hours after the court's ruling.

RELATED: Trump Travel Ban To Be Implemented Thursday

The new instructions issued by the State Department will affect new visa applicants from Syria, Sudan, Somalia, Libya, Iran and Yemen. They must prove a relationship with a parent, spouse, child, adult son or daughter, son-in-law, daughter-in-law or sibling already in the United States to be eligible. The same requirement, with some exceptions, holds for would-be refugees from all nations that are still awaiting approval for admission to the U.S.

Countries included in the travel ban to the U.S. are shown in this graphic.
Zack White, KPBS
Countries included in the travel ban to the U.S. are shown in this graphic.

Grandparents, grandchildren, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, cousins, brothers-in-law and sisters-in-law, fiancees or other extended family members are not considered to be close relations, according to the guidelines that were issued in a cable sent to all U.S. embassies and consulates late on Wednesday. The new rules take effect at 8 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time on Thursday (0000GMT on Friday), according to the cable, which was obtained by The Associated Press.

As far as business or professional links are concerned, the State Department said, a legitimate relationship must be "formal, documented and formed in the ordinary course rather than for the purpose of evading" the ban. Journalists, students, workers or lecturers who have valid invitations or employment contracts in the U.S. would be exempt from the ban. The exemption does not apply to those who seek a relationship with an American business or educational institution purely for the purpose of avoiding the rules. A hotel reservation or car rental contract, even if it was pre-paid, would also not count, it said.

Consular officers may grant other exemptions to applicants from the six nations if they have "previously established significant contacts with the United States;" ''significant business or professional obligations" in the U.S.; if they are an infant, adopted child or in need of urgent medical care; if they are traveling for business with a recognized international organization or the U.S. government or if they are a legal resident of Canada who applies for a visa in Canada, according to the cable.

There were no major problems reported in the hours after the guidelines were issued. The Middle East's biggest airline says its flights to the United States are operating as normal. Dubai-based Emirates reminded passengers that they "must possess the appropriate travel documents, including a valid U.S. entry visa, in order to travel."

On Monday, the Supreme Court partially lifted lower court injunctions against Trump's executive order that had temporarily banned visas for citizens of the six countries. The justices' ruling exempted applicants from the ban if they could prove a "bona fide relationship" with a U.S. person or entity, but the court offered only broad guidelines — suggesting they would include a relative, job offer or invitation to lecture in the U.S. — as to how that should be defined.

Senior officials from the departments of State, Justice and Homeland Security had labored since then to design guidelines that would comply with the ruling. Wednesday's instructions were the result. The new guidance will remain in place until the Supreme Court issues a final ruling on the matter. Arguments before the justices will not be held until at least October, so the interim rules will remain in place at least until the fall.

Shortly after taking office, Trump ordered the refugee ban and a travel ban affecting the six countries, plus Iraq. He said it was needed to protect the U.S. from terrorists, but opponents said it was unfairly harsh and was intended to meet his campaign promise to keep Muslims out of the United States.

After a federal judge struck down the bans, Trump signed a revised order intended to overcome legal hurdles. That was also struck down by lower courts, but the Supreme Court's action partially reinstated it.

The new rules will also affect would-be immigrants from the six countries who win visas in the government's diversity lottery — a program that randomly awards 50,000 green cards annually to people from countries with low rates of immigration to the United States. They will also have to prove they have a "bona fide relationship" with a person or entity in the U.S. or that they are eligible for another waiver. If they can't, they face being banned for at least 90 days.

That may be a difficult hurdle, as many visa lottery winners don't have relatives in the U.S. or jobs in advance of arriving in the country.

Generally, winners in the diversity lottery only need prove they were born in an eligible county and have completed high school or have at least two years of work experience in an occupation that requires at least two other years of training or experience.