San Diego Winter Homeless Shelters Close After Record 19-Month Run

Veterans Village of San Diego

Veterans Village of San Diego runs the temporary 150-bed winter homeless shelter for veterans in the Midway District.

Aired 7/1/14 on KPBS News.

Dozens of homeless people in San Diego who have been staying at the city’s emergency winter shelters will be sent back out on the streets on Tuesday. The shelter doors are closing after being open for a record 19 continuous months, from November 23, 2012 to June 23, 2014.

The two shelters — one for single adults located at 16th Street and Newton Avenue in downtown, and the other for veterans on Sports Arena Blvd — provided a combined 350 beds and helped 700 people transition into more stable or permanent housing.

In addition to receiving a bed to sleep in, homeless shelter residents were given meals, medical services, counseling and employment assistance.

The shelters are usually open every year for just four months during the winter, but a series of budgeting actions by former San Diego Mayor Bob Filner and the San Diego City Council allowed the shelters to remain open longer.

Current San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer earmarked $1.9 million in the 2015 fiscal year budget for the winter shelters, as well as several other homeless-services programs. The shelters are scheduled to reopen at the end of November.

The veterans shelter is operated by the Veterans Village of San Diego and funded by city and federal dollars. The single adult winter shelter is run by the Alpha Project and funded by the city.

A recent point-in-time count of San Diego County’s homeless population found 8,520 people on the streets, in cars or in shelters.

The January count found 60 percent of the county's homeless population in the city of San Diego. Of the 5,213 found within city limits, 2,745 were sheltered and 2,468 were unsheltered.

Comments

JeanMarc | July 1, 2014 at 1:39 p.m. ― 6 months ago

19 months? Man, that is loooong winter!

sdreefer21 | July 1, 2014 at 4:34 p.m. ― 6 months ago

Goodbye teberculosis tent.

muckapoo1 | July 1, 2014 at 5:36 p.m. ― 6 months ago

Run them out of town. The are a negative for the great city of San Diego. They bring nothing, just take. Who needs them???

laplayaheritage | July 1, 2014 at 7:57 p.m. ― 5 months, 4 weeks ago

Pathetic.

The lack of leadership from Mayor Kevin Faulconer, full City Council lead by Council President Todd Gloria, and the County Board of Supervisors cause the eviction of 150 Veterans from the tent. Closing the Homeless Emergency Shelter Tents will not end homelessness.

Three days before the 4th of July.

There is more than enough money siting in the bank for both year round Emergency Shelter Tents and permanent solutions for the Housing First Model. With no Tax Increases, and no effects to the City's General Fund.

Unnecessary. It was pitiful watching grown men standing by their pile of possessions that were too big to carry.

Please Investigate the Federal violations of the Civic Rights, Fair Housing, and HEARTH Acts in San Diego County.

Peking_Duck_SD | July 1, 2014 at 8:48 p.m. ― 5 months, 4 weeks ago

We don't want the immigrants in our city.

We don't want the gays in our city.

We don't want the poor in our city.

We don't want the homeless in our city.

Whew.

I love reading KPBS, but the continuous barrage of comments against pretty much everyone who is not a white Republican male gets overwhelming.

I might as well be reading Fox nation.

I think I need to take a break :-(

Peking_Duck_SD | July 1, 2014 at 10:40 p.m. ― 5 months, 4 weeks ago

Is Todd Gloria a Log Cabin Repug? Seriously, I don't even know. He may be a Democrat, but he certainly isn't a liberal.

muckapoo1 | July 2, 2014 at 7:41 a.m. ― 5 months, 4 weeks ago

laplaya, there is no amount of money that will end homelessness. It has become a national embarrassment due to people too lazy to fend for themselves. Easier to sit on a bench and wait for someone else to care for them. They only worry about their next bottle of wine.

I am happy to see that duck is starting to see the light.

Peking_Duck_SD | July 2, 2014 at 8:17 a.m. ― 5 months, 4 weeks ago

Ummmm, I think you must have mis-read my post.

JeanMarc | July 2, 2014 at 8:32 a.m. ― 5 months, 4 weeks ago

Peking you must not work downtown like I do. The streets are flooded with psychotic, raging, screaming lunatics and their pit bulls. There is urine, vomit, diarrhea, and drug paraphernalia littering the sidewalks. I have seen more homeless penises than I can count, thanks to homeless schizophrenics or drug addicts deciding to urinate wherever they stand, whatever direction they happen to be facing.

It is disgusting, it is dangerous, and whatever we are doing now is certainly not helping them. But it is damaging the image of the city. I refuse to eat outside at any restaurants downtown lest a homeless person walk by and harass me or ruin my appetite with their unbearable stench. This might sound mean but it is the truth. We need to be realistic about this problem.

benz72 | July 2, 2014 at 9:36 a.m. ― 5 months, 4 weeks ago

PDSD "We don't want the immigrants in our city.

We don't want the gays in our city.

We don't want the poor in our city.

We don't want the homeless in our city."

Legal immigrants are welcome.
What's wrong with gay people? Why are they not welcome?
Who said they don't want the poor? I don't recall that discussion.
You've got me on that last point though, I don't want homelessness here. I want people to be self supporting or, barring that mutually supporting as a group such that they don't burden others, especially in the ways that JM describes. What do you want exactly?

farscape_babe | July 2, 2014 at 2:45 p.m. ― 5 months, 4 weeks ago

That isn't always the case. I had a 50,000 dollar a year job and the SPRR fired over 300 of us. Due to my age I had a hard time finding a job to support myself. I was homeless for almost 4 years. If it wasn't for the fact I had a car I would have been sleeping on the streets. I was able to survive by collecting plastic bottles, cans and copper. I am now on SS but when I see someone who is homeless I HELP. I buy them something to eat.

farscape_babe | July 2, 2014 at 2:47 p.m. ― 5 months, 4 weeks ago

JeanMarc Get off your better then thou horse and help someone in need instead on looking down your nose at them. Not all are on the streets by choice.

JeanMarc | July 2, 2014 at 3:29 p.m. ― 5 months, 4 weeks ago

farscape are you really telling us that you could not get a job ANYWHERE? McDonalds? The library? Local grocery store? I find that quite hard to believe. 99.9% of people are on the streets by choice (substance abuse) or mental disorders.

Missionaccomplished | July 2, 2014 at 3:55 p.m. ― 5 months, 4 weeks ago

@Quackster, I am glad to see that YOU are beginnning to realize, that just because a person is homosexual or lesbian, subject to certain stereotypes and prejudices, DOESN'T make that person any more tolerant or liberal or anything else, just by the fact of being gay-oriented. This is more evidence against the ideologues who ask "if you're gay, why are you a Republican."

POLITICS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT!

Missionaccomplished | July 2, 2014 at 3:56 p.m. ― 5 months, 4 weeks ago

@SDREEFER1, what is "teberculosis"?

Missionaccomplished | July 2, 2014 at 3:58 p.m. ― 5 months, 4 weeks ago

QUACK says: "We don't want the immigrants in our city.

We don't want the gays in our city.

We don't want the poor in our city.

We don't want the homeless in our city"

Well, they must have at least wanted gays because they voted for Gloria and the gay flag pole!