San Diegans Head To Polls To Choose Alvarez Or Faulconer As Mayor

Above: City Councilmen Kevin Faulconer and David Alvarez.

Special Feature Special Election

Just less than 50 percent of San Diegans are predicted to vote in Tuesday's special mayoral election between City Councilmen David Alvarez and Kevin Faulconer.

A new poll released Sunday shows Alvarez has caught up to Faulconer and both candidates are now locked in a statistical dead heat.

Polls close Tuesday at 8 p.m. Voters can find their polling places here. If voters have mail-in ballots that have not yet been sent in, they can be returned to any polling place or the San Diego County Registrar of Voters at 5600 Overland Ave.

Tuesday's runoff election was scheduled on relatively short notice after a primary in November narrowed the field of candidates to two, the Republican Faulconer and the Democrat Alvarez. Faulconer won the most votes in the primary, collecting 42 percent of all ballots cast, while Alvarez narrowly defeated fellow Democrat Nathan Fletcher.

The race to replace disgraced former San Diego Mayor Bob Filner, who resigned over sexual harassment claims in August, generated national attention in its final weeks with write-ups in The New York Times and a late-game endorsement of Alvarez by President Barack Obama.

As of Monday, 163,571 voters had returned vote-by-mail ballots, according to the San Diego County Registrar of Voters. That's about 47 percent of all mail ballots sent out.

The National University System Institute of Policy Research predicts more than 100,000 ballots will be cast Tuesday.

Although Faulconer and Alvarez displayed a friendly relationship during the mayoral primary, their race turned ugly near the end. Both campaigns and the independent committees supporting Faulconer and Alvarez went on the offensive, sending out negative mailers and running attack ads on TV.

Each candidate has described the other as a tool of the interests behind him. Faulconer has said unions are trying to buy the election by backing Alvarez, while Alvarez has painted Faulconer as anointed by the city's business insiders.

Both candidates and the independent committees supporting them have raised millions during the special election, but Alvarez has raised slightly more. Some of his biggest backers were the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, the United Food and Commercial Workers Union and the United Domestic Workers of America.

Some of Faulconer's biggest backers were the National Association of REALTORS Fund, The Lincoln Club of San Diego County and The San Diego Regional Chamber of Commerce.

Because both candidates are on the City Council, a win by either means an empty council seat. That seat will be filled by appointment, not a special election.

Comments

PointLomaDem | February 11, 2014 at 7:06 a.m. ― 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Mail-in ballots can also be returned at any polling location in addition to the County Registrar of Voters. For a list of polling locations check http://j.mp/pollSD

Mmikey | February 11, 2014 at 7:31 a.m. ― 9 months, 2 weeks ago

with all the money poured into both sides, its hard to imagine the outcome not being tainted ,

progressivebuthey | February 11, 2014 at 10:57 a.m. ― 9 months, 2 weeks ago

ain't voting for either --- glad the robo calls will stop. made me sick both calling the house 5-10 times per night.

bereKPBS | February 11, 2014 at 12:49 p.m. ― 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I am voting for Alvarez! He seems the only candidate pro-middle class, we need more opportunities to advance in education & economy in San Diego, Faulconer would be "more of the same" just big business helped if he wins. Vote for Alvarez!

progressivebuthey | February 11, 2014 at 1:07 p.m. ― 9 months, 2 weeks ago

alvarez has a bug about "city business." --- the same business climate that attracted alvarez's seemingly illegal parents and his many illegal siblings. can't have it both ways.

Peking_Duck_SD | February 11, 2014 at 1:27 p.m. ― 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I can feel the momentum for Alvarez today.

He's going to win.

JeanMarc | February 11, 2014 at 2:50 p.m. ― 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Congratulations on the win, Falcouner!

Boots | February 11, 2014 at 6:18 p.m. ― 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Can you Imagine the disaster of a teaparty Republican like Falconeer running San Diego!?
SD can't take another shady conservative! Get out and vote for Alverez!

Boots | February 11, 2014 at 7:12 p.m. ― 9 months, 2 weeks ago

If you wish Mitt Romney was President and enjoy your taxes going to subsidize a handfull of rich Hillbillies, you should vote for Falconeer.Maybe he and Mitt can patrol the beach together yelling at teenagers smoking pot! http://gawker.com/5916565/mitt-romney-is-a-narc

Missionaccomplished | February 11, 2014 at 10:58 p.m. ― 9 months, 2 weeks ago

PROGRESSIVEBOOTY, aren't you the one that was so upset that Falconer had announced his candidacy in Spanish??? My how quickkkly we developed amnesia!

Peking_Duck_SD | February 11, 2014 at 11:52 p.m. ― 9 months, 1 week ago

A huge step backwards for this city.

We now have a GOP controlled media (PRAVDA UT who broadcasts right wing propaganda minister Roger Hegecock and the local GOP lapdog stations) and now a right wing mayor as well.

Basically, once you cross the LA county line and get into the OC all the way down to SD your in Oklahoma City with a beach.

Very disappointed in this city, I guess the 1% can bully the rest of the population I yo power.

boomerop14 | February 12, 2014 at 9:51 a.m. ― 9 months, 1 week ago

Kevin Faulconer won this election playing the race and class card. Pitting one set of neighborhoods against another. This told me a lot about him as a person. Now, of course, he wants all San Diegans to come together and support him as mayor. Not so fast Kevin. You are a corporate shill, hand picked by Manchester and his co-horts of the U-T. You do not have my respect, nor will you have my support.

JeanMarc | February 12, 2014 at 10:05 a.m. ― 9 months, 1 week ago

Ahhh what a great day for this wonderful city. I walked to my office with a spring in my step, the sun shining a little brighter, I breathed in the sea air and thought "I knew I could count on my fellow citizens to make the right choice"

This is what I call progress. "Progressives" want to turn this country into the soviet union, thankfully their friend Alverez was crushed yesterday.

Peking and Boomer - Did you know that most of Alverez' financing came from outside of San Diego, from Sacremento all the way to DC? While Faulconers funding came from within San Diego. Isn't that interesting?

JeanMarc | February 12, 2014 at 10:07 a.m. ― 9 months, 1 week ago

Hey Boots so I guess when you take your family to the beach you don't mind idiot kids drinking and smoking pot in front of them? I mean are you really complaining about this? What is wrong with you?

Peking_Duck_SD | February 12, 2014 at 10:18 a.m. ― 9 months, 1 week ago

Jean, congratulations this is a victory for Republicans but I wouldn't be THAT excited since we do have a democratic city council to keep Faulconer and his pay for play benefactors that elected him at bey.

Peking_Duck_SD | February 12, 2014 at 10:19 a.m. ― 9 months, 1 week ago

*bay

JeanMarc | February 12, 2014 at 10:21 a.m. ― 9 months, 1 week ago

I suppose that is true... just like we have a Republican controlled house to slow the destruction Obama is causing with his incompetence and leftist/communist agenda.

Don't worry Peking, Faulconer will be good for the city. Did you like Sanders?

Peking_Duck_SD | February 12, 2014 at 10:38 a.m. ― 9 months, 1 week ago

There were things I liked about Sanders and things I disliked about him. Obviously I admired his stance on gay marriage.

I also thought he did a good job fighting to get the downtown library built.

I think the billion dollars being sunk into Lindbergh Field which started under his leadership is going to prove to be one of the biggest financial wastes the city has ever seen.

Peking_Duck_SD | February 12, 2014 at 10:39 a.m. ― 9 months, 1 week ago

But, I think Sanders could have done a lot more for neighborhoods outside of downtown.

boomerop14 | February 12, 2014 at 1:47 p.m. ― 9 months, 1 week ago

Well, JeanMarc, I wouldn't be too arrogant and cocky about Faulconer's win. My understanding is that acting mayor Todd Gloria will pick Faulconer's replacement on the council, and is considering a democrat for the seat, which would provide a veto proof majority for Faulconer to deal with, on any policies he tries to push through. And while wer're at it, lets just call a spade a spade......a lot of San Diegans just weren't comfortable electing a latino mayor, especially from THAT other side of town, a place they probably have never set foot in. Whether Faulconer's funding came from within or without, he is still a shill for corporate San Diego, their CEO's, and Manchaster and
the U-T. bigwigs.

JeanMarc | February 12, 2014 at 3:08 p.m. ― 9 months, 1 week ago

boomerop14 stop trying to turn this into a race issue. All the mexicans had their chance to vote, and considering that latinos in san diego outnumber whites, alverez would have won if it was purely a race issue. Sorry, the majority voted for faulconer because the majority believed he would be the best mayor. It has nothing to do with race.

Boots | February 12, 2014 at 3:25 p.m. ― 9 months, 1 week ago

Hilarious response, I definitly agree that Mitt and Falconer should patrol together!
maybe seal patrol is also on the agenda

thehonestreality | February 12, 2014 at 4:52 p.m. ― 9 months, 1 week ago

Jean Marc I thank you for making me create an account to write my comment.

I just want to point out that I am an avid kpbs fan and if I wasn't a student making barely enough money to support myself I would donate.

I always read cnn, fox, you name it, and come to the same conclusion.

Whether it's some celebrity pulling a publicity stunt, to some school shooting, or an actual political article. (if that's what you want to call these fake media channels) *NOTE kpbs is a reliable source of information.

The comments can almost always be reduced to immature standoff between two political ideals. Obama is always pulled out as a reference to cite his long list of imperfections or unfavored policies.

You know what I find most ridiculous in all of this bickering. Both sides almost always exclusively believe their party is better than the other. As if we are talking about two football teams in the south. "my obama gonna' beat your bush high you wait n see clyde!"

What you don't see is a proposed resolution, or an opportunity to build a better America. I will be completely honest my political views do not fall within either party. In fact it would be foolish to try and pigeonhole me into a category.

I am pro-humanity, and I favor whatever helps America succeed. I don't ever wish bad upon any president or party. Why anyone would want economic crisis, and political ruin is beyond me.

Instead of pretending to be so knowledgeable on everything that exists mr jean marc, why don't we build upon our foundation and foster growth. You know when I read your comments and that of other I see arrogance and false assurance.

See how easy it is to put someone down? After you make such remarks you will almost never receive the support of others. I am not sure if that is what you plan on, but you certainly aren't making friends. Do you want people to back your ideology or do you want them to counter it.

The choice is yours, choose wisely.

boomerop14 | February 12, 2014 at 5:15 p.m. ― 9 months, 1 week ago

If JeanMarc you honestly believe that in this country there is never any racism or elitism in electing someone, well you are indeed living in denial and in a bubble.
You are correct when you state that there is too much apathy in the electorate and
not enough voter participation. Perhaps for a myriad of reasons, especially in lower-income communities. But this is America, with the terrible history it has with race and
class. Guess I have lived long enough here to know what a lot of opinions are about Hispanics and barrios. Unfortunate but true.