San Diego County Sheriff Bill Gore Won’t Fight Concealed Gun Ruling

San Diego County Sheriff Bill Gore says he won't fight a federal appeals court decision that overturned the county's concealed-weapons restrictions.

A three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled last week that people seeking concealed weapons permits need only cite a need for self-defense.

Document

Court Opinion For Edward Peruta V. County Of San Diego

Court Opinion For Edward Peruta V. County Of San Diego

Read the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ...

The San Diego County Sheriff's Department required applicants to show they had good cause to carry concealed weapons, such as working in a dangerous job.

Others now allowed to carry concealed weapons include victims of stalking or domestic violence or someone who has been threatened.

Gore said Friday that he won't ask the full appellate court to review the ruling.

The case now returns to a lower court.

Gore says people can apply to the sheriff's department for permits under the looser guidelines but the permits won't be issued until the lower court rules.

A freelance news photographer who sometimes works in San Diego had his application denied and filed suit. Ed Peruta spoke to KPBS media partner 10News via Skype from his part-time home in Connecticut.

"I am relieved for the people of San Diego who are law-abiding citizens and desire a CCW for personal and family self defense," said Peruta.

He also explaining why he wanted a permit, saying, "I am a video journalist; I respond to incidents -- fires, accidents, homicide scenes, and I sometimes get there before law enforcement. That can be very dangerous for a person with a camera and no gun."

Peruta thinks there will be a run on the sheriff's office seeking the permits.

He plans to take a refresher course on gun safety and re-apply.

The Associated Press contributed to this report

Comments

native | February 27, 2014 at 3:11 p.m. ― 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Interesting that in the 10News/U-T poll 51 side with Gore but in the U-T Poll here: http://www.utsandiego.com/polls/2014/feb/self-defense-enough-concealed-weapon-permit-hp/ 85% of nearly 10,000 respondents felt the opposite.

DeLaRick | February 27, 2014 at 3:51 p.m. ― 7 months, 3 weeks ago

"It's your right, you don't have to exercise it, but Gore's office nor his staff should be making the call who has and doesn't have the rights he and his colleagues have."

Native, has it occurred to you that there will be millions of 18-year-olds who will "exercise" their right to carry concealed weapons? What an awesome idea! Just what society needs.

capeman | February 28, 2014 at 9:11 a.m. ― 7 months, 3 weeks ago

DeLaRick - You may want to brush up on California law before making comments like that. Handgun ownership starts at age 21 in California.

DeLaRick | February 28, 2014 at 10:55 a.m. ― 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Capeman,

OK. I'm greatly relieved to know that 18-year-olds will have to wait 3 years to get their concealed weapons permits. Because as we all know, 21-year-olds have the requisite patience and experience to carry concealed firearms. I can hardly wait for that.

JeanMarc | February 28, 2014 at 10:56 a.m. ― 7 months, 3 weeks ago

DeLaRick, 18 year olds cannot buy hand guns. By the way, how many 18 year old or younger gang members do you think are already carrying concealed weapons? When I was in school, I knew 13 and 14 year old boys who regularly carried guns in their backpacks. Yes, this was in San Diego.

Missionaccomplished | February 28, 2014 at 11:53 a.m. ― 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Cape guy, oh, that's a relief!

Peking_Duck_SD | February 28, 2014 at 1 p.m. ― 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Gore should have appealed.

But now the state has stepped-in to do it.

Good.

JeanMarc | February 28, 2014 at 2:22 p.m. ― 7 months, 3 weeks ago

yeah guns are scary! oogah boogah!

I am so sick of this.

benz72 | February 28, 2014 at 5:25 p.m. ― 7 months, 3 weeks ago

I think it would be better to remove the restriction against open carry. That way the CCW policy can be the same.

Just so you know I've met literally hundreds of 18-21 year-olds responsible enough to carry weapons. On the flip side I've met plenty of older adults who do not seem to me to possess the disposition to carry weapons. Responsibility, not age, is the deciding factor in my mind.

JM, I'm tired of it too, but please try to stick to the conversational high ground; Mockery doesn't engender respect.

Freedom | March 3, 2014 at 10:46 p.m. ― 7 months, 2 weeks ago

As I sit and read these foolish statements about 18-21 year olds I'm at a loss. Your fine sending them off to other countries for democracy or into a mall where a crazy person has chosen to attack the defenseless. These Americans defend your rights to say and do what you want. And you say they should not have the rights our constitution affords them. I have spent many days with these young men and women and they are the best hope we have for this country. As a current CCW holder I'm always amazed how people who chose not to carry, want to control individuals that are willing to. My responsibility is to protect my family as well as others from harm. Challenging times don't wait for the police to show up. They act. As much as I am disappointed in people who fight my rights to protect my family, friends and yes strangers, I will continue to do so. As a last note, I'm not sure if you are aware, CCW holders MUST complete a FBI as well as a California back ground check. So CCW are not criminals, in fact, just the opposite.

bonevoyeur | June 3, 2014 at 2:51 p.m. ― 4 months, 2 weeks ago

'A recent scientific 10News/U-T San Diego poll asked, "Should a person who wants to carry a concealed weapon need to show a specific concern for their personal safety?"

Most sided with the sheriff, as 51 percent responded yes, 45 percent said no, while 3 percent weren't sure.'

If the people were asked whether a person wishing a CCW must justify it, and 51% said "yes", that means most opposed the sheriff. Had they said "no", then they would have sided with him.

I understand that publishing deadlines can sometimes result in embarrassing misquotes or typos. I don't know whether this is one of those. I do know that, as written in the context of this particular article, a conclusion that the sheriff's position had popular support makes no sense.