Activists Plan Keystone XL Pipeline Rally In Coronado

Environmentalists opposing the Keystone XL oil pipeline are planning to protest in Coronado today, where the primary trade association of the oil and gas industry, American Petroleum Institute (API), will be holding its annual Pipeline Conference.

Trans Canada

Overall route map of the Keystone XL Pipeline.

The group, organized by SanDiego350.org, is demanding an end to the fossil fuel industry's "business as usual" and calling on President Obama to reject the Keystone XL Pipeline.

If approved, the pipeline would carry oil extracted from tar sands in Canada more than 1,700 miles to refineries in Texas.

The U.S. State Department is currently conducting an extensive environmental review of the controversial project, which opponents argue will contribute to climate change. Advocates of the pipeline contend the project would create jobs and would be more energy efficient than transporting the oil by train.

The State Department is expected to make a recommendation to the president in late summer.

Comments

muckapoo1 | April 17, 2013 at 7:12 a.m. ― 1 year, 8 months ago

I question how many of the activists walked to this event. Are these the same people who blame others for the high unemployment in this country? Do many of these people prefer the guppies live, while farmers go bankrupt?? I truly believe that many of the current environmental groups are nothing more than communist backed groups trying to destroy this country. C'mon, get off the sidewalks and find a tree to hug. Unlike many of you, I have a job to get to.

JeanMarc | April 17, 2013 at 10:01 a.m. ― 1 year, 8 months ago

Muckapoo the crazy thing is 99.9% of environmentalists, feminists, gay rights activists, all kinds of activists and protesters ARE controlled by large groups that have been pushing a communist agenda in this country for decades, but they do not know it. They are nothing but "useful idiots" at the mercy of people who who understand mass-psychology and how to use peoples emotions to control them.

Really123 | April 17, 2013 at 10:34 a.m. ― 1 year, 8 months ago

Uh... JM, I think you need to include Republicans in that one. Aren't they known for towing the line? (Not a Communist one obviously, but a puppet none the less of larger intersts)

Plenty of blame to go around.

JeanMarc | April 17, 2013 at 10:37 a.m. ― 1 year, 8 months ago

Do you mean toeing?

Why would I include Republicans in a paragraph about activists and protesters backed by powers that have a communist agenda? I wasn't talking about people being influenced by larger interests, I was talking about a specific group of people that does not include Republicans.

Really123 | April 17, 2013 at 11:15 a.m. ― 1 year, 8 months ago

Sorry, yes toeing. In reply, I was expanding on your sweeping observation. "They are nothing but "useful idiots" at the mercy of people who who understand mass-psychology and how to use peoples emotions to control them." Sounds like a statement about being influenced by larger interests to me. I'm just saying Republicans are "useful idiots" as well.

You may not have said that, but I did.

benz72 | April 17, 2013 at 1:26 p.m. ― 1 year, 8 months ago

Huh, now it apparently isn't just "Not in my back yard!" but "Not in your own back yard either!"

muckapoo1 | April 17, 2013 at 4:29 p.m. ― 1 year, 8 months ago

Sorry Really. If you check, it is not the Republicans opposing new nuclear plants, the Keystone pipeline, new oil refineries, closing down public lands and trying to stop new oil exploration in Alaska. Jean is correct that many bleeding heart folks get duped into doing the work of people who hate this country.

If you want a good example of "green" insanity, take a look at the Fish and Game handbook on California fishing regulations. Something that should be a 2-sided sheet of paper is112 pages of jargon guaranteed to make you question why you want to fish in this state. Exactly what it was intended to do by people who love that fish more than they do people.

RegularChristian | April 17, 2013 at 6:42 p.m. ― 1 year, 8 months ago

I love my hybrid. 35 mpg.

mdsd | April 17, 2013 at 8:46 p.m. ― 1 year, 8 months ago

Hi there, I am a person who was at this protest today. I was there because the very great majority of scientists have told us that if we don't keep the planet from warming under 2 degrees (we're at close to 1 now), there will massive changes to our climate. We're already seeing the beginning - our oceans have risen several inches in the last century and it's expected that San Diego's seas will rise another 12-18 inches by 2050. Droughts, hurricanes and wildfires are occurring with more intensity. 25% of corn crops in the US were lost to the drought this year. Did you see what Sandy did to NYC?

Do you really want to leave a devastated environment and economy for your kids and grandkids?

We were protesting the American Petroleum Institute today .... they are the main lobbying group for the oil and gas industry - the most profitable industry the world has ever seen. They put millions into lobbying Congress, the President, and donating to campaigns - and advertising. Do you really trust them? They have demonstrated repeatedly that they have only one focus - their profits. I don't know how they sleep at night.

I urge KPBS listeners to look at the facts about climate - not the propaganda from the companies who are spending millions to keep their subsidies and profits, come what will.

JeanMarc | April 17, 2013 at 11:41 p.m. ― 1 year, 8 months ago

This might sound strange, but I don't really care that much if the world "ends". If it ends, then it ends. No one will be here to cry about it right?

benz72 | April 18, 2013 at 7:58 a.m. ― 1 year, 8 months ago

mdsd, Would it not be more productive to spend that protest time developing a better alternative to fossil fuels? I find it unlikely that we as a society would give up the convenience use of those fuels brings without a superior alternative being readily available. BTW there is some exciting research being conducted on 4th generation U fission and LFTR power generation is promising but in need of development.

JM, Just because one doesn't have a use for the world after one dies does not imply that those who continue to live should have to deal with the results ones excesses.

Peking_Duck_SD | April 18, 2013 at 4:11 p.m. ― 1 year, 8 months ago

muckapoo: " Do many of these people prefer the guppies live, while farmers go bankrupt?? I truly believe that many of the current environmental groups are nothing more than communist backed groups trying to destroy this country. C'mon, get off the sidewalks and find a tree to hug. Unlike many of you, I have a job to get to."

I have a job I go to every week day and I think this pipeline is a terrible idea.

Your crude generalizations only make you look silly and ignorant.

I see on another thread you are passionate about gun rights, but you seem to not give a "muck of poo" about our planet.

Your snide point with the guppy example also shows you to be ignorant about basic science.

Do you not realize that ecosystems are complex and DEPENDANT on each other?

We have no idea what the implications are of even seemingly "insignificant" species going extinct until it's too late, and more often than not these species nobody cares about are needed for the survival of other species in the chain that people DO care about. Furthermore, we humans are at the end of this chain, and stomping out a guppy here, a crab there, and a bug over there eventually adds-up and can bring about devastating consequences for us all.

Soon it won't matter how many automatic machine guns you own dear, because you can't shoot your way out of a rising ocean.

JeanMarc | April 18, 2013 at 4:18 p.m. ― 1 year, 8 months ago

On a more positive note, my property might become beach front property some day. That would be great!