Hillary Clinton Popular Attraction At Warwick’s In La Jolla

Credit: 10 News

Dozens of people lined up outside Warwick's Books in La Jolla, where former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton was set to hold a book signing for her new book "Hard Choices," June 25, 2014.

Crowds began lining up at 3 a.m. Wednesday outside Warwick's Books in La Jolla to get a chance to see former Secretary of State and first lady Hillary Clinton.

Clinton was there for a sold-out author's event at 8:30 a.m. to sign copies of her book, "Hard Choices." Afterward, she was going to the San Diego Convention Center to be the keynote luncheon speaker at the BIO 2014 conference. Gov. Jerry Brown was to join her on stage for the speech.

Clinton, who is a potential Democratic presidential candidate in 2016, has come under criticism over the past couple of weeks for commenting that she and former President Bill Clinton were in debt when they left the White House because of legal bills, without noting pending multimillion-dollar book deals and other prospects that would benefit them financially.

On Monday, Bill Clinton defended his wife's commitment to the poor and said she was not out of touch.

The controversy arose from reports that the Clintons charge appearance fees around $200,000. A spokeswoman for the BIO conference did not respond to a question of how much Hillary Clinton was being paid for speaking at the luncheon.

CNN reported that the book tour for her memoir has resembled a political campaign, run by campaign operatives instead of book publicists.

"Hard Choices" includes her views on the attack in Benghazi, Libya, that killed four Americans, including three San Diegans. She also discusses her dealings with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Comments

CaliforniaDefender | June 25, 2014 at 9:33 a.m. ― 6 months ago

===

I see nothing but sheep standing in line. Ready to believe Hilliary's propaganda without any critical thinking despite widespread criticism of her book.

How do people get this way? Is it just a compulsion to feel part of a group?

Peking_Duck_SD | June 25, 2014 at 10:02 a.m. ― 6 months ago

CADef, if my schedule had allowed, I would have lined-up to meet her and get her signature.

It's the chance to meet and have a signed book by someone who has a very good chance at being the first woman president in U.S. history.

People want to feel like they can have a little piece of that history.

CaliforniaDefender | June 25, 2014 at 11:14 a.m. ― 6 months ago

Duck, I respect your views (even when we disagree) as I find you to be a well reasoned critical thinker.

But you have to acknowledge that this book isn't genuine. It was written and marketed by a team of political operatives as a 600 page campaign mailer.

Or perhaps just a heavy one page campaign mailer as the Boston Globe put it:

“Hard Choices is destined to be a book that is purchased but not read, a volume given but not opened."

New York Times: "Clinton has opted for a safe and unchallenging volume, full of bromides and talking points."

Politico: “A newsless snore, written so carefully not to offend that it will fuel the notion that politics infuses every part of her life.”

Slate: "A risk-free telling of Clinton's world travels..."

Time: "It reads like—and is—a political campaign book."

Please don't be one of those people, Duck. Don't be apart of the dishonest history of US politics.

Peking_Duck_SD | June 25, 2014 at 12:49 p.m. ― 6 months ago

CADef, I haven't read the book, so I can't really comment on it, but I think ANY high-profile politician would not release a book that hasn't been scoured and intensely vetted by political experts and the like.

What I have been doing is listening closely to the interviews Ms. Clinton has been giving.

I think hearing responses to questions on the fly gives you a better idea of what the person is like versus a book they have had a lot of time to prepare.

I do realize people also practice for interviews and responses to questions can be rehearsed too, but I think seeing how someone responds to intense interviews does reveal a lot about their ability to govern and respond to controversial items.

I was particularly impressed with how Ms. Clinton handled herself in the Fox "news" interview. You might not AGREE with her, but the way she handled the Benghazi questions that were aggressively thrown at her from the Fox "news" people was poised, articulate, and I think she proved she can definitely handle herself under pressure and make tough decisions.

I also liked her Fresh Air interview with Terry Gross when she fought-back on Terry's persistence on how Clinton made her evolution to being pro-gay marriage. I liked that she wasn't afraid to go "off-script" for a bit and show that she does have passion for these things she's writing about.

Another thing I like about Hillary is that she has a sense of humor. She likes to laugh. That might sound trivial or stupid, but it's something I look for in everyone - whether it's people in my personal life or people whom I vote for. If they don't appear to have a sense of humor, I don't trust them.

Hillary is far from perfect, but I think she is actually a good combination of someone with compassion and conviction, but also someone who can be a hard a$s when they need to be - and in this turbulent world we do need leaders who can be tough sometimes.

Getting back to the book itself, I take it with a grain of salt like I would if ANYONE in high politics wrote it - Obama, Romney, Reagan, Carter, anyone.

I still wouldn't mind meeting her and having a signed copy of her book though, like I said before it's a piece of history! :-)

CaliforniaDefender | June 25, 2014 at 2:20 p.m. ― 6 months ago

She genuinely laughs? Please Duck. She's well known as one of the most humorless people in DC. Any laughing is carefully practiced and scripted.

I just don't see anything about her that is genuine except the nepotism that has propped up her political career.

Can't we have a moderate, sensible, intelligent candidate for just one election, Republican or Democrat? JUST ONCE? I know, I'm pleading in vain.

Peking_Duck_SD | June 25, 2014 at 4:41 p.m. ― 6 months ago

CADef, her laughs are planned?

OK, I understand where you are coming from with the book - anyone with that much power who is still potentially seeking office will not write anything that hasn't been vetted, but I think your taking it a bit too far.

She genuinely has a sense of humor.

Did she "plan" this reaction to a steaker going past her??

nena | June 26, 2014 at 1:24 a.m. ― 5 months, 4 weeks ago

wow peking, you are a sitting duck! I don't want to ruffle your feathers, but don't think you have all your ducks in a row on Hillary, she can get crazy and hold really bad grudges too. and she didn't have a very good sense of humor when recently a patron asked her to sign a book to Chris Stephens. The ambassador in Benghazi, remember him? does she have a sense of humor? hahaha, what difference does it make, aha ha! seriously though, It's truly disheartening that the only thing that would make someone historical because they are the first at something, especially when they have done absolutely NOTHING noteworthy to deserve it! Hmm, I wonder if it were Sara Palin, would you also like to go to see her and get your book signed because she possibly would be making history?

xwagner | June 26, 2014 at 7:11 a.m. ― 5 months, 4 weeks ago

I enjoyed the story from another city and another book signing -- someone with a copy of her book stood in line and then asked that the book be inscribed "To Chris Stevens". Hillary refused. Too bad.

Mmikey | June 26, 2014 at 7:31 a.m. ― 5 months, 4 weeks ago

book tour, or sneaky way to circumvent the campaign contribution law?

let her "publisher" pay for her tour.

DeLaRick | June 26, 2014 at 9:03 a.m. ― 5 months, 4 weeks ago

From 2017 to 2025, we'll be oversaturated with news about President Clinton 24/7. As others have pointed out, the book tour and recent marketing blitz are just the beginning.

JeanMarc | June 26, 2014 at 9:06 a.m. ― 5 months, 4 weeks ago

Haha this senile old bat is not going to win anything. It is plain silly how the leftists of the world are acting like it is a foregone conclusion that she will be the president in 2016. Sorry guys but wanting and believing something doesn't make it true.

Peking_Duck_SD | June 26, 2014 at 9:21 a.m. ― 5 months, 4 weeks ago

"nena": "The ambassador in Benghazi, remember him? does she have a sense of humor? hahaha, what difference does it make, aha ha!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oh you poor dear, I think the Benghazi "news" channel, aka the fox "news" channel has completely brainwashed you.

Do you know how over-played that truncated clip of her saying that is? Hannity, Limbaugh and the like salivate ate playing it over and over again to make it seem like she was saying "what does it matter" about the Ambassador being murdered, when, in fact, taken in context she's saying why are people splitting hairs over a tragedy by making a big deal about if it was spawned by a video or by an impromptu attack. Terrorism is terrorism was her point, not that the attack and murder don't matter.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
"nena" "I wonder if it were Sara Palin, would you also like to go to see her and get your book signed because she possibly would be making history?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Umm, Hillary is qualified to be President, Ms. Palin is not. Enough said about that ridiculous question.

DeLaRick | June 26, 2014 at 11:21 a.m. ― 5 months, 4 weeks ago

JM,

Care to lose some of your trust fund money? I'll throw down 1 large on her. How about you?

JeanMarc | June 26, 2014 at 12:24 p.m. ― 5 months, 4 weeks ago

What does "1 large" mean and what is this trust fund you talk about? I grew up on welfare, but unlike leftists, all members of my family worked very hard, built careers, and now live a good life and give back to the public in the form of taxes. We did not loaf around crying, holding our hand out asking for more more more.

DeLaRick | June 26, 2014 at 12:59 p.m. ― 5 months, 4 weeks ago

The trust fund joke was in gest. (Kudos to you and your family for overcoming difficult circumstances.) "1 large" is 1,000. Let's just have a friendly wager about 2016 with the other regulars. I'm not Hillary's biggest fan, but she's a lock in my opinion. She has the female vote, the anti-Tea Party vote, and the "Obama remorse" vote.

JeanMarc | June 26, 2014 at 2:27 p.m. ― 5 months, 4 weeks ago

Ok, if Hillary wins, I will change my profile picture to a picture of me pouring chocolate syrup on my head. Ha ha.

We will see, one thing Hillary needs to watch out for is another Democratic candidate. A lot of people might vote for Hillary because there is no viable alternative, but if one arises...

Peking_Duck_SD | June 26, 2014 at 2:46 p.m. ― 5 months, 4 weeks ago

DLR, I think the "Obama remorse" vote, if you are referring to Democrats who supported Hillary in the first primary, is more of a media fabrication than anything else.

I voted for Hillary in the California primary, as did my Mom and other friends and family members.

None of us had any problem supporting Obama fully when he got the nomination.

In fact, in retrospect, I think it worked out better having Obama as Prez and Hillary as Sec of State.

I remember when the media went out and found a handful of disgruntled angry women who swore they would never support Obama is he beat Hillary, and all of us were just shaking our heads saying who are these people!?

In fact, Obama and Hillary were so similar, I remember the thing that caused me to vote for Hillary:

Both Obama and Hillary were promising affordable healthcare for all, but at that time Obama was actually, if I'm not mistaken, arguing AGAINST a mandate whilst Hillary was saying it would be impossible without one.

My decision came down to thinking Hillary would have had a better chance of passing comprehensive healthcare reform due to her previous experiences with it and "lessons learned" if you will.

In the end, Obama was up to the challenge - but I still think this bitter rivalry between Hillary and Obama supporters was more of a media over-hype than anything really tangible.

JeanMarc | June 26, 2014 at 3:59 p.m. ― 5 months, 4 weeks ago

This is a little off topic but I have a question that I have not heard anyone answer for a year or so. What are some (or even one) of Hillary's accomplishments in her political career?

JeanMarc | June 30, 2014 at 8:50 a.m. ― 5 months, 3 weeks ago

No one can answer me? Come on guys, I know someone must be able to tell me one of Hillary's accomplishments.