GREAT PERFORMANCES: The Arts Interrupted
Stream or tune in Friday, May 14, 2021 at 9 p.m. & Sunday, May 16 at 3 p.m. on on KPBS 2
Tuesday, May 11, 2021
Credit: Courtesy of Rod Spicer
How have the arts been managing during the COVID-19 pandemic? Arts organizations across America share their survival stories, along with examples of innovative performances, from COVID-19 inspired theater to site-specific operas.
Featuring interviews with:
- Oskar Eustis, The Public Theater
- Jordana Leigh, Senior Director of Artistic Programming, Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts
- Simone Eccleston, Director of Hip Hop Culture and Contemporary Music, Kennedy Center
- Kamilah Forbes, Executive Producer, Apollo Theater
- Ralph Remington, Director, City of San Francisco Arts Commission
- Danny Burstein, Tony-nominated actor, “Moulin Rouge”
- Alejandra Duque Cifuentes, Executive Director, Dance/NYC
- Somi, Composer and Musician
- Anne Huang, Executive Director, World Arts West
Featuring performances from:
- “Moulin Rouge” (Broadway)
- Renée Fleming
- Yo-Yo Ma (Massachusetts)
- Ballet X (Philadelphia)
- Somi with Alte Big Band (Atlanta)
- Michigan Opera Theatre
This is a multiplatform campaign that celebrates the resiliency of the arts in America during the COVID-19 pandemic shutdown and reopening, and features new performing arts content filmed within the constraints of the pandemic. The collection of programs will be available for streaming on pbs.org/arts and the PBS Video app. Curated conversation and digital shorts will be available on PBS social media platforms using #PBSForTheArts.
Watch On Your Schedule:
The episode will be available for streaming simultaneously on all station-branded PBS platforms, including pbs.org/gperf and the PBS Video App, which is available on iOS, Android, Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, and Chromecast.
Episodes are available for viewing on demand for a limited time after each broadcast. Extend your viewing window with KPBS Passport, video streaming for members supporting KPBS at $60 or more yearly, using your computer, smartphone, tablet, Roku, AppleTV, Amazon Fire or Chromecast. Learn how to activate your benefit now.
Join The Conversation:
Produced and directed by Akisa Omulepu, A production of THIRTEEN Productions LLC. GREAT PERFORMANCES is a production of The WNET Group. Bill O’Donnell is series producer and David Horn is executive producer.
To view PDF documents, Download Acrobat Reader.