Joe HongEducation Reporter
Joe Hong covered education stories across KPBS platforms. Prior to joining the KPBS newsroom, he covered three school districts for The Desert Sun in Palm Springs. He has written about school finance, negligence in special education, and school board misconduct. Previously, he covered equity issues and historically black colleges and universities for Diverse: Issues in Higher Education magazine based in Fairfax, Virginia. Before a career in journalism, he was pursuing a doctorate in comparative literature at Rutgers University. He pivoted to journalism in 2016 and earned a master's degree from Columbia Journalism School in 2017, specializing in investigative reporting. In September 2019, he completed The Data Institute, a two-week workshop for journalists of color taught by ProPublica in collaboration with the Ida B. Wells Society.
During the last few days of May, San Diego, in solidarity with the nation, erupted in outrage and protest over the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis and the legacy of police brutality.
- San Diego’s border sewage problem may get better soon
- Rising rents leave LGBTQ+ recovery groups searching for permanent home
- If Taylor Swift is living in Kansas City, here's what locals say she should know
- Feeling alone? 5 tips to create connection and combat loneliness
- Former U.S. ambassador charged with being an agent for Cuba