San Diego Wants You To Recycle Your Christmas Tree
Monday, December 26, 2011
The city is accepting trees between December 26 and January 23.
There are 16 drop off locations available to city of San Diego residents along with curbside pickup for people with curbside yard waste collection.
Drop off locations:
- Carmel Valley: Carmel Valley Recreation Center, 3777 Townsgate Drive, lower parking lot.
- Encanto: Cielo Drive at Woodman Street.
- Golden Hill: Golden Hill Recreation Center, 2600 Golf Course Drive.
- La Jolla: Kate Sessions Memorial Park, Soledad Road and Loring Street.
- Logan Heights: Memorial Recreation Center, 2902 Marcy Avenue.
- Miramar: Miramar Landfill at Greenery, Convoy St. north of Highway 52.
- Mission Bay: SeaWorld Drive at Pacific Highway.
- Oak Park:Chollas Lake, 6350 College Grove Drive, in Gloria's Mesa parking lot.
- Ocean Beach: Robb Athletic Field Recreation Center, 2525 Bacon Street.
- Otay Mesa/Nestor: Montgomery Waller Community Park (lower-west parking lot on Palm Avenue).
- Rancho Bernardo: Rancho Bernardo Recreation Center, 18448 W. Bernardo Drive.
- Rancho Peñasquitos: Canyonside Recreation Center, 12350 Black Mountain Road.
- San Diego State University:Parking Lot D off Alvarado Road.
- Scripps Ranch: Scripps Ranch Recreation Center, 11454 Blue Cypress Drive.
- Tierrasanta: De Portola Middle School, 11010 Clairemont Mesa Boulevard.
- University City: Swanson Pool, 3585 Governor Drive.
One of the drop-off sites is the Greenery at the Miramar Landfill.
Pauline Priest with the city's environmental services department said recycling the trees extends the life of the landfill and the trees are given a second life.
"If the trees get taken to the greenery which is the appropriate for them to do, then they are ground and they are made into mulch or compost," said Priest.
She said before dropping off trees, people must remove all tree stands, lights, ornaments, tinsel, and non-recyclable materials.
Priest said flocked trees are also accepted.
She said curbside yard waste recycling customers can put the trees at the curb with the regular yard waste recycling.
The Miramar Greenery is located inside the Miramar Landfill, at 5180 Convoy Street, just north of Highway 52. Hours of operation are Monday through Friday 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; Saturdays, Sundays and most holidays from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The Landfill will be closed on New Year's Day.
To view PDF documents, Download Acrobat Reader.