No Fireworks Redo To Make Up For ‘Big Bay Bust’
Thursday, August 23, 2012
Organizers of the annual "Big Bay Boom'' July 4 fireworks display over San Diego Bay have decided not to put on another show to make good for last month's boondoggle in which all of the fireworks went off at once, it was reported today.
Hundreds of thousands of San Diegans and tourists make their way to the waterfront every year to watch the spectacle, which is supposed to last about 15 minutes.
The dramatic explosions were caught on video and became an instant international sensation via television and the Internet. No one was injured.
In an email to the publication, show producer Sandy Purdon said Garden State Fireworks offered to donate $125,000 worth of pyrotechnics to next year's event, and the 70 or so sponsors decided to accept the offer.
Purdon, a general partner of the Shelter Cove Marina and former chairman of the Port Tenants Association, said they've always wanted to improve the show and Garden State's offer gives them that opportunity, the newspaper reported.