Coronavirus Quarantine Ending For 200-Plus At MCAS Miramar
Tuesday, February 18, 2020
Credit: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
This week more than 200 people evacuated to MCAS Miramar from the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan, China, are going home.
Around 160 people are scheduled to leave the base on Tuesday. Another 60 are set to leave on Thursday.
All will have completed a 14-day quarantine on base. Officials believe two weeks is the incubation phase of the virus, also being called COVID-19.
Those who showed signs of the virus were taken to local hospitals. So far the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has confirmed two of the evacuees tested positive for the coronavirus. The pair are in isolation at UC San Diego Medical Center in Hillcrest. It is unclear when they will leave San Diego.
Other patients who were under observation at UC San Diego have been returned to Miramar. There is still a minor under observation at Rady Children's Hospital.
KPBS reached one man inside the Miramar quarantine. Via Twitter, Yu Lin said he is excited to go home Tuesday, but worried about the stigma surrounding him and the other evacuees.
"I don't want people to be afraid of me," Lin wrote. "My family."
Lin also said he was worried about his daughter being bullied in school.
The World Health Organization (WHO) said people impacted by this outbreak should not be shamed.
"There’s a lot of people around the world who have suffered stigma and profiling and other things we should maybe be concerned about that," said Dr. Michael Ryan with the WHO. "And ensure that people show solidarity with those affected and don’t extend risk beyond what’s reasonable and again we need to avoid stigma at all costs."
The county of San Diego is continuing to monitor other people who have traveled to China or been around people who have. Some people are being told to self-quarantine in their homes.
To view PDF documents, Download Acrobat Reader.