SD Men Accused Of Aiding Terrorists Remain Behind Bars
Tuesday, November 9, 2010
SAN DIEGO Two alleged supporters of a Somalia-based terrorist organization will remain behind bars without bail. Issa Doreh was found by a judge to be a danger to the community and a flight risk, while Mohamed Mohamed Mohamud waived his right to a detention hearing.
A third man, Basaaly Saeed Moalin, faces the same charges plus an additional count of providing material support to terrorists. At a short hearing before U.S. Magistrate Judge William Gallo on Friday, Maolin agreed to waive his right to a hearing on bail until an unspecified later date.
Federal agents arrested the men last week following a lengthy investigation by the Joint Terrorism Task Force.
The charges allege that Moalin, Mohamud and Doreh conspired to provide material support to a terrorist organization, and also conspired to kill in a foreign country.
Among the evidence cited in the indictment is a 2008 phone conversation between Moalin and al-Shabab military leader Ayden Hashi Ayrow. Ayrow allegedly told Moalin: "It is time to finance the jihad." A short time later, defendant Moalin allegedly told his co-defendant Mohamud to hold back 20 or 30 trusted people at the mosque to tell them to contribute money.
The indictment details another phone conversation in 2007, when Moalin allegedly advised Issa Doreh that "one dollar a day per man" was needed for the forces.
The indictment further alleges that Moalin provided a house in Somalia, knowing the house would be used to kill people in a foreign country.
Moalin was arraigned Tuesday in federal court. The other two men are scheduled to be arraigned Wednesday.
City News Service contributed to the information in this report.
Please stay on topic and be as concise as possible. Leaving a comment means you agree to our Community Discussion Rules. We like civilized discourse. We don't like spam, lying, profanity, harassment or personal attacks.