Play Live Radio
Next Up:
Available On Air Stations
Watch Live


San Diego County Could See Rain, Thunderstorms This Afternoon

Rain falls in Downtown San Diego, Jan. 9 2018.
Matthew Bowler
Rain falls in Downtown San Diego, Jan. 9 2018.

A low-pressure system sweeping through Southern California could bring showers and thunderstorms to the San Diego area, according to the National Weather Service.

As moisture from Hurricane Rosa — now a tropical depression — leaves the region, the storm system — largely a product of an upper-level low- pressure system that originated in the central Pacific — is expected to reach San Diego County this morning and remain through Thursday morning, with a roughly 35 percent chance of rain in the morning and a 65 percent chance in the afternoon, the NWS said.

National Weather Service meteorologists say the storm will drop over a quarter-inch of rain in mountain areas, such as Julian, and less than one-tenth of an inch in desert areas.


San Diego was expected to receive around one-tenth of an inch of rain and coastal areas were expected to get over one-tenth of an inch, according to the NWS.

A slight chance of thunderstorms in northern areas of the county is possible this afternoon.