Many Ways To Mark Memorial Day In San Diego County
Memorial Day, set aside to honor American military members who died in service to their country, will be observed at several events on Monday in San Diego County.
Nearly 250,000 veterans live in the county, which has the third largest population of veterans in the U.S., according to a 2013 report.
Here is a list of some of the Memorial Day events happening on Monday:
• 7:30 a.m.: A Memorial Day ceremony will be held at the Veterans Museum and Memorial Center in Balboa Park, 2115 Park Blvd.
• 8 a.m. to dusk: The San Diego Veterans for Peace will host an Arlington West Memorial near the USS Midway Aircraft Carrier Museum, Broadway at North Harbor Drive. The names of the fallen in Afghanistan and Iraq will be read.
• 8:45 a.m.: A Day of Remembrance ceremony will take place at the Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery, 1800 Cabrillo Memorial Drive, Point Loma.
• 10 a.m.: A blood drive is scheduled at the USS Midway Aircraft Carrier Museum, 910 N. Harbor Drive. The first 50 donors will receive free passes to the museum.
- 10a.m: A Memorial Day Ceremony will be held at the Veterans Association of North County (VANC ) Center in Oceanside, 1617, Mission Avenue. The keynote speaker is Dr Linda Dudik of Palomar College, collector of WWII stories.
• 11 a.m.: A Memorial Day ceremony will include a flyover by vintage aircraft at the Glen Abbey Memorial Park & Mortuary, Chapel of Roses, 3838 Bonita Road, Bonita.
• 2 p.m.: A Memorial Day service will take place at the Mount Soledad Veterans Memorial, 6905 La Jolla Scenic Drive South, La Jolla.
More Memorial Day events can be found here.