Roundtable: Top Stories Of 2017
Time Magazine named "The Silence Breakers" its Person of the Year. People from all walks of life have felt empowered to come forward to tell their stories of sexual abuse and harassment. As a result, big names in politics, media and entertainment have lost their careers.
- Is this a long term cultural shift, or a moment that will fade?
- Why do some revelations have more impact than others?
President Donald Trump went to war with the media and criticized unfavorable coverage as "fake news".
- How does the term affect how people trust and consume the information they get?
- What's the impact of propaganda on social media and public discourse?
TRUMP'S FIRST YEAR
The new President entered the White House with full Republican control of Congress and growing questions about his campaign's relationship with Russia during the election.
- What were Trump's setbacks and accomplishments?
- How will the probe into Russian election meddling progress in 2018?
San Diego has been ground zero for the push to build a new border wall. Also, so-called dreamers are in limbo as Congress struggles to extend DACA.
- What's next for the border wall as prototypes go up near the San Diego crossing?
- Will Congress find a solution for undocumented immigrants who were brought to the United States as children?
SAN DIEGO'S HOMELESS CRISIS
The county dealt with new challenges as housing costs continued to climb, including a deadly outbreak of hepatitis A.
- How well did the city handle the public health emergency?
- What's the outlook for affordable housing in 2018?
The 2003 Cedar Fire was eclipsed this year by the Thomas Fire as the largest in state history.
- How did firefighters apply lessons learned from past fires to the Lilac Fire?
- Are these major wildfire events a sign of things to come as a result of climate change?
CHARGERS LEAVE SAN DIEGO
After more than 50 years in Mission Valley and several failed attempts to build a new stadium, Chargers owner Dean Spanos finally decided to relocate the NFL franchise.
- Does anyone miss the Chargers?
- What's next for the Mission Valley site?