County Registrar Saw ‘Tremendous’ Amount Of Fake Write-In Votes Yesterday

On KPBS Midday Edition, San Diego County Registrar of Voters Deborah Seiler said she saw many write-in votes for fake candidates during Tuesday's primary election.

Absentee ballot

Above: Absentee ballot

In this election, she said she saw many voters who "intentionally over vote."

"We also saw a tremendous amount of write-ins, Donald Duck, frivolous sort of write-ins," she added.

Nearly 27 percent of eligible voters in San Diego County turned out for Tuesday's primary election, but that number will grow as absentee and provisional ballots are counted, Seiler said.

The number of ballots counted through about 2 a.m., compared to the number of eligible voters, is 26.8 percent, Gig Conaughton, a county spokesman, said.

That would be lower than the turnout in the last couple primary elections, when more than one-third of voters cast ballots, he said.

However, around 135,500 ballots still need to be tallied, according to the registrar's office. Election officials have 28 days to complete the count.

Seiler said she expects when the tally is finished, turnout will be 36 or 37 percent.

Seiler said there were a few complaints during yesterday's election about poll workers who "always seem to misunderstand the fact that ID is not required."

She said as soon as those complaints come in, her office contacts precinct workers to correct them.

The county's website, sdvote.com, was down for about one and a half hours Tuesday night. Seiler said the county's technical services provider, Hewlett-Packard, is looking into the issue.

The next release of results is scheduled for 5 p.m. Thursday.

City News Service contributed to this report.

Comments

occupyrcorner | June 6, 2012 at 4:49 p.m. ― 2 years, 2 months ago

A vote of "No Confidence" is not a "Donald Duck" vote, Seiler... it is a fact, shown by poor voter turn out, that the government succeeded in it's goal of demoralizing, disenfranchising, and depressing it's citizens into having very little faith in obviously bought and paid for elections. The government is now like football: a bunch of millionaires playing with each others balls in front of everyone, and all we get is a stub for the expensive entry ticket.

DavidAbramson | June 7, 2012 at 2:58 p.m. ― 2 years, 2 months ago

I believe that voting is important, and is one of our few ways to be part of the democracy that we live in. However, corporations are quick to buy our elected officials, whether they are democrats or republicans. You need to look no further than who is financing the campaigns of our elected officials, who have a history of returning the favor to donors once they are elected. Check out: http://www.opensecrets.org/

Also see this video discussing corporate spending in this current election: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvjF2J...

Eva | June 7, 2012 at 3:12 p.m. ― 2 years, 2 months ago

I agree with occupyrcorner, I think the "fake" write-ins represent The People much more accurately than many candidates, or lack of candidates (for example, Jan Goldsmith ran uncontested). The Occupy movement may have something to do with this "tremendous" amount of write-ins for fake candidates. Who are the real candidates? Who really represents The People anymore? Who are the true choices San Diegans or Americans have to vote for in hopes that their best interests will be considered when decisions that affect our lives are made? What real candidates exact and stand a chance to win who will truly represent their constituents rather than the special interests that buy out the majority of politicians?

I think the write-ins for fake candidates should be taken very seriously, and The People have the right to see data showing how many did bother to write in names of people who were not running. Rather than imagining that such fake write-ins simply do not take the voting process seriously, we should consider that perhaps they show a serious problem with the choices we are given.

Each write-in, to me, represents a # of people who are concerned, involved, and motivated enough to get off their butts to vote while not buying into the delusion that voting today offers. They are showing they would vote if it mattered, but are not being given choices that reflect their needs.

Eva | June 7, 2012 at 3:18 p.m. ― 2 years, 2 months ago

"Perhaps the growing number of write-ins and low voter turnout is really a trend in our lack of faith in electoral politics that will bring change that will benefit the people. I tend to agree...thoughts?"

I agree, David! Also votes of "no confidence" should be counted to create a quantitative figure of those who've lost faith in electoral politics but care enough to actively represent that loss of faith through their votes.

hazeleyes | June 7, 2012 at 3:45 p.m. ― 2 years, 2 months ago

I was one of those "write in voters". To be honest, I'm offended about this quote "Seiler also said in every primary election, she sees "lots of voters who tend to be a little bit careless in their voting." in regards to writing in on a ballot. I was making an attempt to show that I was unhappy with ANY of the candidates I had a write in for. Did I do this for EVERY office? No! but in a couple of cases I just could not, in all conscience, vote for ANY of those listed on the ballot...so I wrote in WE THE PEOPLE...next time I'll write in none of the above. Maybe that will get my point across? In an election where so few even went to vote...I cannot believe that those who did go..are said to be "careless" because they wrote in someone else. That says to me they CARE...but want something/someone different.Just saying that there was a "tremendous" amount who did this...should tell them something!

Peking_Duck_SD | June 7, 2012 at 8:33 p.m. ― 2 years, 2 months ago

Why do people need to write in funny names when we have **REAL** names like:

**KREEP** v **PEED**, for San Diego County Judge

Rachel Maddow and her staff couldn't even get through a segment about this without busting up:

And as far as the comments about Sieler above, she is a known hack, what do you expect?

Good her and look at her connections to Diebold.

She has a long history of partisanism and has her hands on dirty voter fraud.

San Diego County was a laughing stock when they hired her despite her sketchy past.

Luckily we have an excellent California Secretary of State, Ms. Debra Bowen, who often has to keep crazy Diebold in check.

Peking_Duck_SD | June 7, 2012 at 8:35 p.m. ― 2 years, 2 months ago

That should read *Google* her, not Good her.

JeanMarc | June 8, 2012 at 12:20 p.m. ― 2 years, 2 months ago

How smart to throw away your vote instead of using it towards something that could actually change. Voting for someone you dislike is still voting against someone you dislike even more. Writing in a fake name is a complete waste, just like sitting on wall street holding signs.

occupyrcorner | June 8, 2012 at 12:44 p.m. ― 2 years, 2 months ago

Ah, yes, but if writing in what you want and holding signs IS making change... see, you just mentioned it. WE'RE OCCUPYING YOUR MIND!

JeanMarc | June 8, 2012 at 3:10 p.m. ― 2 years, 2 months ago

Not in a good way though! I agree with the premise of the protests. Our country is indeed governed by those who have the most money. Human greed is the cause of it, I don't know how we can change that.

hazeleyes | June 8, 2012 at 3:53 p.m. ― 2 years, 2 months ago

Again, I state...in all GOOD conscience...could not vote in some of the races. I decided to stand up and say so...I showed up. Maybe you should talk to the what apox 70 % who either don't care, don't believe in the process, don't think they can make a difference, or are just too dang tired or lazy. I CARE! I showed up...I did not "throw" my vote away...I wanted NONE OF THE ABOVE. period.

Len | June 9, 2012 at 11:37 a.m. ― 2 years, 2 months ago

@BobRoney. There is no evidence of "illegals" voting under assumed names. The true vote thieves are among Republican officials such as those "cleaning" the rolls of` people likely to vote Republican, "caging" voters--under way in Florida. I recommend reading Palast's expose of the 2008 elections nationwide, "Armed Madhouse." San Diego's theft of the mayoralty from the true winner, Donna Fry, is shown in detail.

Len | June 9, 2012 at 6:11 p.m. ― 2 years, 2 months ago

Correction. That should read: "cleaning" the rolls of people UNlikely to vote Republican. (I think we all wished at some time there was an "Edit" function.)

JeanMarc | June 11, 2012 at 9:25 a.m. ― 2 years, 2 months ago

hazeleyes - simply showing up has no effect. You did throw your vote away by not casting it. As good as your protest makes you feel, it had no real effect.

Tammy Carpowich, KPBS Staff | June 11, 2012 at 11:05 a.m. ― 2 years, 2 months ago

@3avisa, I am going to remove your comment because the link to the shopping site is off topic for this discussion. Since some of your comment relates to the topic, you are more than welcome to post it again (without the link). Thanks!