Thousands in San Diego without power amid blustery winter storm
Around 13,000 customers lost power Tuesday morning in San Diego County, with the majority of those affected in North County.
RELATED: Flood warning, significant rain forecast for county
The following communities have been impacted, as of noon, according to San Diego Gas and Electric’s (SDG&E) outage map:
- Encinitas/ Cardiff-By-The-Sea/ Olivenhain/ Carlsbad/ La Costa
- NW Rancho Santa Fe/ San Elijo Lagoon
- Valley Center/ Lilac
- NE Escondido/ Dixon Lake/ Daley Ranch/ E Escondido/ Lake Wohlford/ Bear Valley/ Skyline Ranch
- W San Marcos/ E San Marcos/ Harmony Grove/ Lake Hodges/ N Rancho Santa Fe/ The Bridges Club
- Ocean Beach/ Sunset Cliffs/ Point Loma
- Clairemont/ Bay Park/ Morena
For most communities, SDG&E crews are assessing the outages to determine the cause. For the area of northwest Rancho Sante Fe and San Elijo Lagoon, the utility found a need to repair SDG&E equipment.
SDG&E told KPBS that the power outages were mostly weather and human error-related. San Diego County is under a flood watch Tuesday with damaging winds expected.
The utility also said response teams are on stand by for immediate dispatch should there be any hazardous power outage events like fallen lines or damaged power boxes. Should the public come across any fallen lines, they should call 911 or SDG&E.
Stay safe, San Diego. Visit https://t.co/Gvo2cG1ICC for more tips. #CAwx ⚠️ pic.twitter.com/Krx7JHjlZI— SDG&E (@SDGE) December 14, 2021
Power in most communities was estimated to be restored around 2-3 p.m. but some neighborhoods may see a restoration time as late as 7 p.m.
See SDG&E’s outage map for the latest information. The map is updated every 5 minutes.