Play Live Radio
Next Up:
Available On Air Stations
Public Safety

Prosecutors: Man Who Shot City Worker Had Large Cache Of Guns, Explosives

Courtesy of San Diego City Attorney
Firearms are shown in the home of Nathan Lee Brogan, who allegedly shot a public utilities worker, in this undated photo.

A University Heights resident who allegedly shot a city worker trying to restore water service to the man's neighborhood on Labor Day had an assault rifle, explosives and around 75,000 rounds of ammunition in his home at the time, City Attorney Mara Elliott disclosed Friday.

San Diego police officers serving a restraining order at the home of 79-year-old Nathan Lee Brogan in the 1200 block of Meade Avenue last Friday found an AR-15 with a 200-round drum magazine, 34 other rifles and 21 handguns stashed in rooms, cabinets and various storage areas, Elliott said.

In Brogan's garage, police seized black powder along with equipment used for homemade ammunition, according to the city attorney.


In addition, a bomb squad removed various explosives, including a smoke grenade and more than four pounds of loose black powder from the house, which is five blocks from Alice Birney Elementary School, Elliott said.

Courtesy of San Diego City Attorney
Ammunition is shown in the home of Nathan Lee Brogan, who allegedly shot a public utilities worker, in this undated photo.

Brogan was arrested Sept. 3 in connection with the shooting, which seriously injured Lacarter Washington, a 30-year veteran of the Public Utilities Department.

The 55-year-old victim was in uniform and wearing a bright security vest, supervising a crew repairing a water line in the area, when Brogan emerged onto his front porch and allegedly fired a single shot at him from a shotgun.

Washington was treated at a hospital for significant gunshot trauma to his chest and right arm, officials said.


Brogan was booked into county jail on suspicion of attempted murder, assault with a firearm and discharging a gun in an inhabited dwelling.

He remains in custody on $1 million bail.

A readiness conference in the case is scheduled for Monday morning.