Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations
Public Safety

Two Carlsbad Schools Locked Down After Threat

A Carlsbad police car is pictured in this undated photo.
10News
A Carlsbad police car is pictured in this undated photo.

A bogus bomb threat prompted lockdowns at two adjacent North County public schools Monday.

A student at the dual campus of Calavera Hills elementary and middle schools on Tamarack Avenue reported receiving the menacing message about 1:30 p.m., said Rick Grove, assistant superintendent for Carlsbad Unified School District.

Administrators moved all students — ranging from kindergartners to eight-graders — to a nearby secure area while police conducted a sweep of the grounds and buildings, finding nothing hazardous, Grove said.

Normal operations resumed at the schools about a half-hour after the precautionary lockdowns went into effect.

Grove declined to disclose how the threat was issued, though he said it came from off campus. He also would not specify where the children were kept during the incident.

No suspects in the crime had been identified as of late afternoon.