WITNESS HISTORY: The Race To The Moon (Radio)
Airs Friday, July 12, 2019 at 7 p.m. on KPBS Radio
KPBS invites viewers to celebrate the Summer of Space with an exceptional lineup of science, history and astronomy programming. The journey begins June 17. View the full schedule: kpbs.org/summerofspace.
July 20, 2019 marks the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 Moon landing. Celebrate this historic milestone with an inspiring new special from the BBC World Service, featuring highlights from its WITNESS HISTORY programs and various presenters.
Audiences will hear stories and recollections from people close to the key moments in humanity's mission to the Moon.
The hour-long special features diverse voices – all of whom recollect the Moon landing with fondness and pride:
- Viktor Yazdovsky, whose father helped prepare dogs for space orbit in the USSR
- Joe Guion, who pulled the first space-traveling monkeys out of their capsule
- Colonel Frank Borman, commander of NASA's Apollo 8 mission
- Fred Haise of the stricken Apollo 13 mission
- Harrison Schmitt, one of the last astronauts walk on the lunar surface
Distributed by American Public Media.