GREAT PERFORMANCES: From Vienna: The New Year's Celebration 2022
Premieres Saturday, Jan. 1, 2022 at 8 p.m. on KPBS TV + Sunday, Jan. 2 at 2 p.m. on KPBS 2 / On Demand
GREAT PERFORMANCES continues its tradition of ringing in the New Year with host Hugh Bonneville and the Vienna Philharmonic at the world-famous Musikverein. Under the baton of Grammy-winning guest conductor Daniel Barenboim, the Vienna Philharmonic performs a selection of favorite Strauss family waltzes. The concert also features dances from the Vienna State Ballet performing on location at Schönbrunn Palace and its park grounds, as well as a performance by the world-famous Lipizzaner horses from The Spanish Riding School.
- Johann Strauss Jr. – “Overture to Die Fledermaus” (“Overture to ‘The Bat’”)
- Johann Strauss Jr. – “Champagne Polka”
- Carl Michael Ziehrer – “Night Revelers”
- Johann Strauss Jr. – “Persian March”
- Johann Strauss Jr. – “A Thousand and One Nights”
- Eduard Strauss – “Greetings to Prague”
- Joseph Hellmesberger Jr. – “Elves”
- Josef Strauss – “Nymph-Polka” (1st performance at a New Year’s Concert)
- Josef Strauss – “Harmony of the Spheres” (1st performance at a New Year’s Concert)
- Johann Strauss Jr. – “At the Hunt”
- Johann Strauss Jr. – “The Beautiful Blue Danube”
- Johann Strauss Sr. – “Radetzky March”
Watch On Your Schedule:
Premieres Saturday, Jan. 1, 2022 at 5 p.m. PT (8 p.m. ET) on PBS, and on demand the following day at pbs.org/gperf and the PBS Video app.
Join The Conversation:
GREAT PERFORMANCES is on Facebook, and you can follow @GPerfPBS on Twitter. #GreatPerformancesPBS
A production of Wiener Philharmoniker and ORF in association with The WNET Group. GREAT PERFORMANCES is produced by The WNET Group. For GREAT PERFORMANCES, John Walker and Julie Leonard are producers, Bill O’Donnell is series producer and David Horn is executive producer.