GREAT PERFORMANCES: Vienna Philharmonic Summer Night Concert 2019
Stream now or tune in Friday, Aug. 28, 2020 at 9 p.m. & Sunday, Aug. 30 at 2:30 p.m. on KPBS 2
Famed conductor and music and artistic director of the Los Angeles Philharmonic Gustavo Dudamel returns to the gardens of Schönbrunn Palace with the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra for GREAT PERFORMANCES “Vienna Philharmonic Summer Night Concert 2019.”
The program features popular selections from both European and American composers and is dedicated to the musical connection between continents: the old world of Europe and the new world of America.
The program includes Leonard Bernstein’s overture to “Candide” and American classics such as John Philipp Sousa’s “The Stars and Stripes Forever.”
Renowned pianist Yuja Wang joins the orchestra for George Gershwin’s “Rhapsody in Blue,” and performs Chopin’s Waltz in C Sharp Minor, op. 64 #2 for an encore.
This year marks Dudamel’s second time conducting the annual concert special, having led the orchestra in 2012. The free outdoor concert is broadcast to more than 80 countries worldwide.
Music Selections and Composers:
- Overture to “Candide” – Leonard Bernstein
- “Rhapsody in Blue” – George Gershwin
- Waltz in C sharp minor, op.64 #2 – Frédéric Chopin
- “Casablanca Suite” – Max Steiner
- “The Stars and Stripes Forever” – John Philipp Sousa
- Adagio for Strings – Samuel Barber
- “The Star-Spangled Banner March,” op. 460 – Carl Michael Ziehrer
- Symphony No. 9 in E minor, op. 95 “From the New World,” 4th movement, allegro con fuoco – Antonín Dvořák
- “Hoe-Down” from “Rodeo” – Aaron Copland
- “Viennese Spirit” waltz - Johann Strauss (Jr.)
Watch On Your Schedule:
This episode will be available for streaming on demand for a limited time after the broadcast. Extend your viewing window with KPBS Passport, video streaming for members supporting KPBS at $60 or more yearly, using your computer, smartphone, tablet, Roku, AppleTV, Amazon Fire or Chromecast. Learn how to activate your benefit now.
With the PBS Video App, you can stream your favorite and local station shows. Download it for free on your favorite device. The app allows you to catch up on recent episodes and discover award-winning shows.
Join The Conversation:
A production of ORF in collaboration with Wiener Philharmoniker and in association with THIRTEEN Productions LLC for WNET. For GREAT PERFORMANCES, John Walkerand Richard R. Schilling are producers; Bill O’Donnell is series producer; David Horn is executive producer.